Home

Coming Soon - Fall of 2011

mimartin

Indeed, I thouight it was a good opportunity to supply that detail because many people will wonder what the difference bertween the BluRay and DVD is - telling them 24fps is not the answer.

*rereads my post* Wasn't I saying "for me"? not "for everyone"?

Why does BluRay exist were it not for the ability to output images at 1080p? As an industry standard, if maintaining cinematic 24fps was the goal, there was no need to go beyond DVD.

I agree, but I was never arguing against that point.

You are the first person I have met who has expresssed that BluRay's achieiving 24fps is "a lot more important than the resolution" considering 24fps was possible on a muti system CRT many of us would have watched ROTJ when it first came in TV in the 80s.

Except for me... had a PAL VHS player and a PAL only TV... also bought the PAL versions of Star Wars on DVD... though the TV updated to one that was able to play NTSC... and yeah, I'm too lazy to buy the NTSC versions of movies unless it's something that never made it to Australia.

PAL or NTSC, our 50Hz/60Hz/120Hz/200Hz modern displays are processing the HDMI signal to show 24fps. From a purists perspective, you are not 'watching it at its original framerate' on such a display - it's only an approximation of a cinematic 24p display, which you can only really get via a projection system.

You should also point out the fact that from a purists perspective, 1080p isn't watching things in their original format either... also *points @ stuff I said above* we didn't always used to have such modern technology.

Hence, to those that arent fussed by deleted scenes and whatever else is on the discs, if you dont have 1080p TV, then you may as well stick to the DVD versions - from an image quality perspective, you may not notice much difference - as opposed to if you tried to play the DVD verison on a large 1080p display.

mtfbwya

I agree with this.

*sighs* too much debating. I know you're trying to give out information Astro, but I was seeing this from my point of view... the timing of scenes, music, etc is important to me... otherwise, picture wise, I'm all good with the PS3 upscaled DVDs... though I haven't bought a DVD in a very long time since all of my purchases since I got a PS3 ages ago have been nothing but Blurays.

You should also point out the fact that from a purists perspective, 1080p isn't watching things in their original format either...

It all depends on the source - many modern films are shot on 1080p cameras. Ep2 started that :)

*Pats George on the back*

I'm personally looking forward to seeing what becomes of the 48p spec ;) How are they going to make film look cinematic at such a high framerate!

*sighs* too much debating....

lolz...no need to sigh, through you raising that initial point, we've both supplied some great info to our fellow forum members. Not everyone shares our enthusiasm or knowledge of the technical side of these things - so it was a good opportunity to share it.

Now when their parents/partner/pet horse hassles/asks them "why do you want the BluRay when you have the DVD?" they can give a complete answer, filled with awesome facts! :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

@ Astro: Yeah, we're all set now that the format the movies are using is in line with what the home viewer is able to get as the end result but it sucked for people back in ye olden days... good times ahead too, though I'm not too thrilled about the whole 3D revival that's going on at the moment...

*refreshes Pirate Bay search for "star wars blu-ray leak"*

chalcqhe.jpeg

I have a computer monitor that can pretty much display video media in a nice, 1080p, hi-res resolution, format with very little pixels on the screen. I've compared the display to a 42 inch LCD television set (not mine, belongs to a friend), and found my monitor to be superior in terms of quality. Not to mention the fact that I already have the original trilogy on DVD.

But still, I am getting (eventually) a LED, 55 inch HD Television set, (along with a Blu-Ray player) so it might be worth checking out the 6 pack saga box-set when it releases; but only because of its bonus materials (and any "other" deleted scenes).

SHUT UP HASSLES

YOU'RE A PET HORSE YOU CAN'T EVEN TALK

LMAO... Don't take your eye off him for a second Sabrez, they dont call him "Hassles" for nuthin' :thmbup1:

HASSLES.jpg

have a computer monitor that can pretty much display video media in a nice, 1080p, hi-res resolution, format with very little pixels on the screen.

Well that makes no sense. If you were displaying at 1080p, you'd have exactly 1920x1080 pixels ;) Maybe you meant artifacting?

though I'm not too thrilled about the whole 3D revival that's going on at the moment...

Indeed - until they can get multipurpose screens that shift between 2D/3D and not requiring glasses (like the alioscopy screens) - I'm not going anywhere near the current gen screens. 3D Glasses are so 1950s

driscoll_fig03.jpg

mtfbwya

Archived