Home

Firechrome 4 beta

jawathehutt

Anyone else download the firefox 4 beta and notice that they basically copy and pasted google chrome? Anyone else kind of upset? I enjoyed having 20 applications and decorations and skins for my firefox to make it look all pretty and be as efficient for me to do stuff as I was willing to make it. Now I have google chrome with a black skin. Cooool update firefox.

I enjoyed having 20 applications and decorations and skins for my firefox to make it look all pretty and be as efficient for me to do stuff as I was willing to make it.

Your'e upset the beta doesnt support all your favourite themes and extensions? Why did you install it?

Now I have google chrome with a black skin

Nope, that's what chromifox carbon is - my favourite FF skin/extension :D Mozilla/FF responds to the demands of its users. The fact that it, chrome and opera have so many overlapping features now is a sign of developers responding to the needs of the users. The main thing FF4 steals from chrome is running tabs as separate processes, which is a huge update from a stability perspective.

Cooool update firefox.

The FF4 beta is a voluntary install, so if you updated and don't like it, roll back to 3.68.

I personally like the look of Chrome, but there are still some extensions lacking, which means I uses FF most of the time. I prefer chrome as a portable browser though ;)

mtfbwya

The lack of addons happens with every major update of Firefox, like 3.0, 3.5, 3.6 or 4.0. Authors of the more popular addons generally keep their addons updated into the future, some don't and are left behind and usually someone comes up with an alternative to those.

Apart from that, I don't really see what's to complain. They could turn the browser into an IE clone for all I care, so long as the addon flexibility stays.

I understand that my addons wont work and such, the skin just seems too damn minimalist

minimalism is good :D Remember these days....

too_many_toolbars.jpg

I wonder if IE9 will get that Metro inspired UI that has done the rounds in mockup pics...

I'm a big fan of chromes tabs style, which is why I use its FF equivalent.

mtfbwya

Actually this is closer to what Opera has right now than Chrome. Plus the whole top tab design has been floating around development circles for quite awhile now so it's not really a "Chrome" thing. Also, this design is an OPTION. So you can change the style back to a traditional style with the check or uncheck of a box. There are other changes you can make to the UI as well...

There are many a nerd that swear by Maxthon - not as fussed personally. These days, browser of choice is often related to specific extensions we really like.

I flit between FF and Chrome these days, and an occasional IE compatibility detour. My favourite FF exclusive add-ons are power twitter, integrated gmail and the google redesigned skins - which is probably why I use FF the most. I'm looking forward to the IE9 beta - which is officially due mid Sep. I'll at least give it a go for curiosity's sake ;)

For those that enjoy replicating their personal/home browser experience on public computers such as work or school etc - definitely check out the portable versions - which you can install on a usb stick complete with all your bookmarks, themes and add-ons. Just in case anyone hasnt tried this yet and is interested to do so >> here are some links for your convenience:

portable chrome

portable FF

I personally prefer chrome portable, which has flash built in, and generally runs a bit snappier.

mtfbwya

I used Chrome on my netbook since it's light and no nonsense, but with my PC I use Firefox all the way since I use a lot of the extensions... particularly the web design and development tools.

For me, in terms of web development, I like the way Firefox displays things the most.

Archived