Home

LA a mess, TFU 3 possibly cancelled.

Prime

I'm inclined to agree with the writer of that article, a shake-up like that can only be good for LucasArts. I don't know if the source was trying to demonize Meegan like a Bobby Kotick, but apart from TFU, LucasArts wasn't really doing so well before Meegan came into the picture.

It's also curious to see that Meegan is going internal-exclusive now, since some of LucasArts' best games came from internal development (Republic Commando much?). I wish LucasArts would stop being so stuck up in Lucas' properties and go on to expand into original properties again - they once made Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, you know.

I didn't even know there was going to be a TFU III.

since some of LucasArts' best games came from internal development (Republic Commando much?).

Fingers crossed that this 'unnamed project' is possibly related to it.

LA need something to dig themselves out of the they've been in for last few years, and maybe this is it.

Hardly anything of value was lost. I'm probably playing TFU2 when it's released but my level of interest in the game is ludicrously low. I also could care less about the LEGO games. Let's face it, there wasn't anything truly good with Star Wars name on it for the last five years. Clearly Blackman's archetype wasn't working. It's past the time for a change.

I didn't even know there was going to be a TFU III.

Neither did I, but this doesn't disappoint me, I don't see a need for a 3rd game based off that story.

Hardly anything of value was lost.

I couldn't agree more. Now that the garbage is being cleaned up, LA may be able to focus more and produce more quality games.

Clearly Blackman's archetype wasn't working. It's past the time for a change.

Hmm, looking at his CV, aside from the Force Unleashed, I see -

Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Battle for Naboo

Star Wars Galaxies

Definitely not working.

EDIT: Removed Force Commander and Bounty Hunter because i'm not sure if he did work on those titles.

Bummer about the Lego titles. Not many games that I can plop down next to the offspring and waste a Saturday afternoon playing. Hopefully Traveller's Tales will continue to pick up other franchises.

I may make fun of the Star Wars Lego, but I have purchase them all multiple times on multiple formats for cousins and other friends’ kids. I have even played them to collect the coins for the younger kids. I’m sure they will find another franchise, after all how many times can you hit Lego Jar-Jar with a lightsaber before it gets old (I’m asking because I’ve done it a few hundred times and it still hasn’t gotten old).

I agree with Sabre, I don’t see the shake-up can be anything but good for LucasArts. I really cannot see how it could make things much worse.

They should cancel every project, including TFU 2; layoff everyone, and restart the whole company. LucasArts is beyond redemption; no change in figurehead will significantly turn the ship in a different direction; the impetus for garbage is within the managerial staff, including the developers and producers.

LucasArts needs a shake-up, this is true. It's been doing crappy for years now. But giving up external development is something I don't understand. BioWare and Pandemic, to name the more recent developers of Star Wars games, have shown how successful those can be.

Anyway, as always when LA gets a new president, I'm hoping for a new Republic Commando game.

Can someone explain my why idiots are assigned to posts that net them a couple a million a year and have the company pay them more millions if they want to dump them?

I mean..some of the best Star Wars games were done together with other great companies. Raven sofware (Jedi Knight 2) and some little company called Bio..what was it again?

Axing one of the few not UBER-crap titles (I still don't like TFU1 and how it rapes the continuity but it's a good game) it proves the point LA direction is on a serious spice high of epic proportions.

lolz... things arent looking bright.... It's kind of weird they're saying FU to BioWare given theyre about to release one of the most anticipated titles that could make them a mint if it worked out well.

What we really need is a stupid motion controller game where we can play as a generic jedi attacking stormtroopers and trade federation vehicles in an episode 1 location :D [/sarcasm]

mtfbwya

I’m sure they will find another franchise, after all how many times can you hit Lego Jar-Jar with a lightsaber before it gets old (I’m asking because I’ve done it a few hundred times and it still hasn’t gotten old).

I don't know--I haven't found out after watching or doing it a few hundred times myself.

Lego Rock Band is a blast, too, so I think they have a decent to good chance to survive with other franchises.

Quitting cooperative work with other studios seems like an odd move to me, after the smashing success (pun partly intended) of the Lego Star Wars/Indy series and the Kotor games. I'd like to see them work on more internally developed titles, but some things do need to be outsourced. Kotor would not have been the success it was if it hadn't been given to Bioware.

I just find it amazing that I see the same comments over and over again everywhere about wanting some or all of three things: a new Jedi Knight game, a new SP KOTOR game, and a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game.

And yet they seem to be the games least likely to be made.

illogical.jpg

I will echo the sentiment I posted in the thread on the TFU boards...I think, like many, that a shakeup at Lucasarts is a good thing. I would love to see them get back to their base and revisit franchises like Jedi Knight, and Battlefront.

That said, I don't think that cutting ties with their previous external developers is a good idea. Companies like Bioware, and Obsidian regardless of varying opinions are good at what they do and I think you have to back a long way to come up with something developed exclusively by Lucasarts that was a resounding success outside of TFU.

And yet they seem to be the games least likely to be made.

Of course. TFU has a wider "appeal" than let's say, an X-wing/Tie Fighter game. In other words It's all about the money.

It's pretty much guaranteed that a 13 year-old Star War fanboy would buy the new TFU over a game made almost exclusively to old school fans. And It's the same with movies, people always wonder why Transformers for example had to have Megan Fox and a shallow love story attached to it (along with numerous other fan-perceived flaws). I wonder when people will understand that It's not about the story/plot or fan service to please those who love the original comic book, game or tv-series the most. It's about attracting a large audience, to make more $.

Archived