Home

Disk Boot Failure

swphreak

So I'm turning this old Sony Vaio desktop into a WHS. I replaces the original 80GB hard drive with two 500GB hard drives, and added a PCI gigabit network card.

If I go into the BIOS, go through the settings, and save / exit, it will boot into Windows just fine. If I do a restart, it will boot up correctly.

If I shutdown and then power back up, I get the lovely Disk Boot Failure. I'll go back into BIOS, go through the settings, save / exit, and it will boot into Windows.

It sounds like the BIOS isn't saving its settings. So maybe the CMOS battery is dead? I got a new one, put it in, changed the BIOS settings, and booted up. Going to shut it down right now and see if the BIOS will remember the settings or not.

Nope. New CMOS battery didn't help.

This desktop is like a decade old. I'm hoping to avoiding updating the BIOS, because my track record isn't good (1 bricked mobo). (edit)It looks like revision 1004 is the latest version Sony offers(/edit)

The new hard drives are Ultra ATA 100 drives, and their jumpers are set to cable select.

Here are some pictures:

This is the POST. Notice the Primary Master/Slave is missing.

picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=7248

Here's the next page.

picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=7249

This is what will pop up after pressing Ctrl-S and exiting that menu.

picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=7250

First entering BIOS. Notice the clock is reset, and the devices are set to auto.

picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=7251

Here's the boot sequence. I ripped out the floppy, so I disable that and move the hard drive up.

picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=7252

If revisit the first page, the hard drives and disc drive show up. I also went ahead and put the correct time in.

picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=7253

(edit)

Looks like anytime I power down, the BIOS is reset.

This latest power up, I looked at the BIOS, and the time was saved. So it's having trouble finding the hard drives during the bootup process.

(/edit)

Any ideas? The thing runs fine. It's the booting up that's the problem.

Ultra ATA drives on a 10 year old mobo?

Believe me - you're lucky your getting it going at all phreakski ;)

Are you trying windows home servers vail build -I hear they will be incporating media center/tuner capture into it.

mtfbwya

Hey, the specs says Ultra ATA, so I bought Ultra ATA drives.

I usually don't mess with OS pre-releases. Especially since I read that Vail has a serious data loss bug of some kind.

Other than having to go into BIOS and reminding it what the settings are, this server works fine. So long as it doesn't lose power it should be fine, I guess....

Archived