Home

Monkey Island, SCUMM, and iPad/Pod/Etc

netmonkey

Hey I had a question for the scumm hacking experts out there:

With Apple cracking down on interpreted languages or whatever, how do the Special Editions of Monkey Island run in there legally? I thought a lot of the main logic was still interpreting scumm compiled scripts... or did they change that for the special editions?

Been looking into the legalities of it, so it does turn out that interpreted code may be used indeed, according to various sources:

http://www.appleoutsider.com/2010/06/10/hello-lua/

Unless otherwise approved by Apple in writing, no interpreted code may be downloaded or used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Documented APIs and built-in interpreter(s). Notwithstanding the foregoing, with Apple’s prior written consent, an Application may use embedded interpreted code in a limited way if such use is solely for providing minor features or functionality that are consistent with the intended and advertised purpose of the Application.

Unless otherwise approved by Apple in writing...

Assuming that the ancient scumm scripting, which mostly directs objects in the game and does not directly interfere with the os-level calls, was most likeley approved for use. I'll try to sneak a peek at the monkey 1+2 demos and see if I can at least list out the files that it contains.

Apple's enforcement of their own rules is very inconsistent, and this rule is no exception!

The Frotz app, for instance, is a fully fledged Z-code interpreter that allows you to download games of your choice - no "embedded interpreted code" here. If I was being uncharitable and had looked at the quality of stuff available on the App Store recently, I might even say that Apple don't even inspect apps closely enough to realise their rules are being broken...

Archived