Home

New JK: Would you buy it?

DeadYorick

Speaking in hypothetical of course. If there was another Jedi Knight game, would you purchase it?

I am asking this as over the years the major theme of Jedi Knight fans is they want another Katarn centric game by any means necessary. Even if it means removing everything they liked about the series to begin with. Jedi Knight isn't exclusive to this either. Some fans would adore a dumbed down sequel to Grim Fandango or Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, and some think the Max Payne series died with the second game. (I am one of those people). So much so they refuse to even try the sequel game simply because of their feelings toward it.

So if there was another Jedi Knight game. Even if it lacked dedicated servers and a released SDK or was horrendously consolised (the most likely thing to occur), would you get it simply as a predisposed notion of "loyalty" to the franchise?

id get it for sure, but only if its on console, not PC.

Get out!

;) Just teasing. I for one would also get it, but only for PC (heck I don't even have a console, save for a used GameCube which I only bought to be able to play Bounty Hunter - I'm still holding a grudge against LucasArts for not bringing that one out on PC).

I surely wouldn't buy any console version of a new game. Considering during my heavy MP days, every single button on my keyboard was used for one thing or another and some had multiple functions. It seems ludicrous to try an cram a game as complex as the JK series onto a console controller. More force powers than gamepad buttons, hah! :)

I wouldn't buy a new JK just because it has the JK name or Katarn on the box. They would have to convince me to buy it first. I used to buy every Star Wars game that came out, but since Force Unleashed I decided to break this trend.

If the game stays true to the spirit of JK and builds upon what made these games great, then yes I would probably buy it. If it's Force Unleashed with Katarn, I wouldn't touch it.

Echoing DarthMuffin's sentiments, I would really love to see a new Jedi Knight game if it matched up to the originals, especially Dark Forces II. There were a lot of things that made those games great, and sadly I think they're valued less and less by game developers these days.

Oh, and as an aside, I'd never buy it if it were a console port. They can dumb down the PC version for consoles, sure, but forget trying to go from console to PC.

I would say I would. However my expectations would be high so a dumbed down version simply wouldn't cut it in my eyes.

I agree with LDB console games ported to PC just don't work were as they can simplify the pc game to work on the port. KOTOR was a good example.

The Q3 engine is extremely dated, though. Mind you, it's not terribly ugly to look at, given the quality of the models, textures, and environments that Raven pulled off in both JO and JA, but there's just so much more opportunity for lusher, larger, and more inventive environments with a more powerful graphics engine (not to mention it'd be easier to mod with the kind of integrated tools that Q3 lacks).

To the topic at hand, I would never spend $60 or more on a product just out of franchise loyalty. If I'm hearing good things and it looks like a game I would enjoy, then I'd be all over it, but it has to deliver on these first. Right now, I'd consider a hypothetical sequel a tentative purchase, though I really want to see official remakes of the first three games with modern technology (especially Jedi Knight).

A remake of Jedi Knight? Hmm, I can't really see the benefit in that. IMO the Sith engine has aged extremly well, and with the model and texture upgrades available (produced by the modding community), the game still looks good and is giving me tons of fun (I happen to be playing it just now for the first time, and it is really a blast).

If they make a new game, they should go all the way and come up with a nice new story. Actually, thinking of the mess that TFU's story is, they'd probably better have someone else do it (oh, and thank you very much for ruining that part of the timeline for me, LucasArts).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I surely wouldn't buy any console version of a new game. Considering during my heavy MP days, every single button on my keyboard was used for one thing or another and some had multiple functions. It seems ludicrous to try an cram a game as complex as the JK series onto a console controller. More force powers than gamepad buttons, hah! :)

AGREED

If the game has fun gameplay, that takes a bit to master but is rewarding when you do like JK-JA then yes. If the story is epic and takes more than 15 hours to beat then very yes, if there are nice modding tools including sdk or scripts we can edit then very very very yes.

If the game has fun gameplay, that takes a bit to master but is rewarding when you do like JK-JA then yes. If the story is epic and takes more than 15 hours to beat then very yes, if there are nice modding tools including sdk or scripts we can edit then very very very yes.

i agree with tinny. gameplay is most important. then storyline. then modding factor.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived