Home

Broken Sword Directors Cut PC version (out this week!!!)

Threepwood4life

Just when I started wondering why there's no Broken Sword 1 on Steam...

I've only played the demo of the original before and I'm thinking of buying this. Someone who's played both versions, is there any reason why I should get the original game instead of the Director's Cut? Like, is there anything missing, something changed drastically or anything? I've heard that there are some new scenes added but there's been some talk about other changes too.

I wouldn't want to have the Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition as my first touch to the Monkey Island series, but I guess this Director's Cut isn't quite like that.

Oh, I didn't notice the Steam version was up already. I think everything extra is cool but hopefully the original game is more or less intact. A few differing graphics and enhanced sound are just fine but hopefully there aren't too many tacked on puzzles that break the original flow, or something. I just want the same experience as playing the old version since I've never played it before.

Anyway, this does sound very interesting. Guess I'll buy it.

From what I hear the new version is a very different experience than the original. Many things were added, some removed or modified. Also, the original had a great, exciting opening, and now they've tacked on a lengthy prologue before it.

Nevertheless, I'm happy that the Broken Sword series is still alive, and still interesting to people. If only they'd make a new BS game now - in 2D and with proper adventure game gameplay like the first two.

I watched ten minutes of the original yesterday. The quality of the animation is something else. Story looks like a cliched "dark" Templars, Illuminati, Dan Brown, Gabriel Knight-ish ancient order weird-ass game. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Sadly, I can't find it - not even on GOG, where they're selling 2 and 3. :( So I might get this instead, soon as I'm done with my current batch of games.

Definitely going to get this. I rank the original two Broken Sword games alongside things like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, so am very keen to see an expanded edition of it, and hopefully eventually BS2 as well. Two of the great 90s classics IMO.

I can see how adding a prologue might take away from the game as the original had a pretty powerful beginning that immediately got drew you in — but then perhaps the prologue has an equally effective intro.

Well worth getting whatever the case!

The first Broken Sword was one of the big hitters of the golden age of adventure games. Really great game. Only years later did I see how similar it was to Gabriel Knight, but in terms of game mechanics Broken Sword is much more accessible to LucasArts fans.

Will be picking this up :)

I got the Wii version when it first came out, and I loved it.

Then again, I never beat the original game. I bought the PC version and it contained two Disc Ones. I bought the PSX version and for whatever reason, the tower would never stay wet in Ireland. I finally beat the DC version last year after years of waiting :p

uhm, I just want to say that the original intro video is not shown in the directors cut version. what you get is a cut down, edited(sometimes replaced sequences) version that in my opinion doesn't do the original justice. it's like 'this is what we had to work with, so this is what you get'.

Uh... sounds like about the same deal as the deleted opening of Monkey Island 2 in the Special Edition. Maybe not THAT bad. What is it with people nowadays!? Deleting good stuff left and right...

This makes me a bit hesitant about getting the game. I want the same experience as with the original version with maybe some additional things but not subtractions. The Director's certainly been cutting this one it seems. Har har.

uhm, I just want to say that the original intro video is not shown in the directors cut version. what you get is a cut down, edited(sometimes replaced sequences) version that in my opinion doesn't do the original justice. it's like 'this is what we had to work with, so this is what you get'.

It's actually pretty much the full version, fleshed out with extra stuff. (The original went by SO quickly and had the wrong pacing pacing for the beginning of a chapter, so they've extended it.)

Original:

Director's Cut:

They both serve different purposes, really.

Yeah the new intro works well. Interesting how they completely redrew the title sequence too, although I guess it makes sense considering the new start location. At least it's in the same vain as the original.

I have no criticism for what's been changed here, though I'd be interested to know what exactly's been changed elsewhere as I've heard numerous people say the Wii Director's Cut lacks certain dialogue and that certain scenarios have been altogether shortened — though that's not necessarily the case for the PC version.

Archived