Home

Want to help clean out spam? Apply now!

Harald B

I've held off on appointing more admins for a while since there wasn't much point, but with the latest flurry of activity we're getting to a point where it really makes a lot of sense. Plus I don't want it to feel like there's one guy calling all the shots. And while I'm still staying for the foreseeable future, I like the idea that it can run without me for a while without going into anarchy (or too much of it, anyway).

So long story short, we're (or maybe I should say I'm) looking to appoint one or two more admins. Since a decision this important should ideally come from the community, that means I'm looking for you guys to suggest good candidates.

What does the ideal candidate look like? More than anything else, an admin should be someone you can trust to use his/her abilities appropriately and who won't let the power and status go to his/her head.

To help me get an impression of that, please comment on other candidates as well as on any you suggest yourself. If you get suggested, please mention if you're available. Also, while you can nominate yourself, there's a risk that it ends up biasing me and others against you.

By the by, admin responsibilities and abilities include the following (and maybe more that I can't remember right now):

• Deal with spam, vandalism, edit-warring and trolling, using the Patrol, Rollback, Lock, Delete and Ban abilities where needed. Obviously regular users who spot spam or vandalism should do something about it too, but they don't have these special abilities.
  • Help keep the wiki clean by deleting duplicated and unused pictures, and pages that shouldn't really be there (but don't delete pages made in good faith without at least a bit of discussion first).
  • Tweak the interface and general appearance from time to time, and keep other permalocked pages up-to-date. (If we ever get to fully locking the main page and news section, that would be a prime example.)
  • Pull rank in hopelessly stuck debates. Do keep in mind that ideally this should never be needed and admins's opinions shouldn't be considered more important than other users's in debates.

Besides trustworthyness, important secondary qualities include things like knowing wiki code and being familiar with our style. Seniority (having been around and active for a while) is a plus too.

Well, I REALLY don't mean to look all uppity, but I HAVE been one of the more... how do I put it... productive members of the wiki recently... I started writing full synopses of the comics, only to have my internet foil it. I SHALL RETURN TO THAT TASK ONE DAY! And, uh, also, I've contributed screens and icons for, I think, two Devil's Playhouse Games, uh... before the official release. Hey, it never hurts to have an insider!

Also, I can type in Wiki quite well, so, yeah...

I see. Well, with the tumbleweeds rolling by here I can't complain about the self-nomination. I'll wait a few more days in the hope of getting some more comments here, but it looks like you stand a good chance.

(Do try not to leak embargoed stuff :) It'll hurt in the long run.)

Well, community attention for things important to the wiki has never been better. I always wish it would get better, but it never does.. Enough waiting, I'll elevate you in a moment, Highway. And I think I'll just stick with discreetly approaching potential candidates next time.

Let me know if you need me to explain anything, like those red exclamation marks in the recent changes.

• 1 year later...

It's that time again. I'm losing the stamina to deal with fighting all the spam that keeps coming in, so I'm looking for another admin to help out. I know how much of a response to expect, so feel free to nominate yourself this time.

• 8 months later...

I don't know why I remembered the Wiki today, but I've came to visit and noticed that spam is still rampant after all these years.

If the Wiki isn't abandoned, I'll volunteer only if there's a captcha in place when editing or creating a page. Otherwise it's going to be a never ending battle.

Archived