Home

AMD decides to drop ATI brand

Char Ell

What do you think of AMD's decision to retire the ATI brand?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of AMD's decision to retire the ATI brand?

• Yippee! It's about time!
    • It's the correct choice but I still don't like it.
    • Boo! What are those meatheads in AMD marketing doing?
    • ATI? Who are they?
    • Why should I care about this?

This week brought an official announcement that AMD will drop the ATI brand in favor of its own.

Anandtech - Farewell to ATI, AMD to Retire the ATI Brand Later this Year

newlogos.jpg

Reasons given for this branding change, as summed up by the guys at Anandtech, are:

1) AMD brand preference triples when the person surveyed is aware of the ATI-AMD merger.

2) The AMD brand is viewed as stronger than ATI when compared to graphics competitors (presumably NVIDIA).

3) The Radeon and Fire Pro brands themselves (without ATI being attached to them) are very high as is.

Do you agree with AMD's decision or are you one of those that never wanted to see the ATI brand retired?

as long as they don't drop the Radeon name, i'm cool. it'll be tough to see the name go, though. ever since the Radeon 9700 Pro put Nvidia on notice, ATI has been one heck of a competitor, and i've been proud to use their products in multiple builds (albeit not all of them).

so long ATI. its been one hell of a ride. :D

maybe I'm just out of the loop (wouldn't surprise me ;) ) but as a resident nVidia fanboi.. I had always thought the ATI brand name was stronger. Hell, I didn't even know AMD was in the graphic card business...

Seems odd to me.. but whatever. As long as they keep doing what they're doing and making sure nVidia doesn't sit on there laurels, I'm all for it :D

Still though, I'm going to miss the ATI name. At least when that name hit the articles, it made the nVidia guys sweat ;)

Archived