Home

Mysteries of Knights of the Old Republic

Ser'eck

The Jedi Civil War left many unanswered questions. In the difficult days following the showdown between Darth Revan and Darth Malak, the Jedi Order struggled to survive, leaving little time for investigations. Redeemed as a Jedi, Revan traveled into deep space in search of a mysterious evil. We now know that the source of this evil was the reconstituted Sith Empire, but that solves only a portion of the mystery…

Watch the teaser video shown at the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) for a glimpse at what may be revealed as you journey through Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Revan's rebirth? Is this and the shadow towards the end hinting that Revan is still some how alive?

Apart from the uneasy feeling I get when Revans rebirth is being hinted at, the really interesting thing in this video came from the Emperors involvement. Not only is he giving direct instructions to an Imperial soldier (something I'm sure doesn't happen a lot), you can also interpret that as a sign of fear by the Emperor, fear for Revan.

Anyway, I'm not sure I like the idea of Revan being alive (if he is), but hell, there's an Emperor running around being 1,000 years of age. Besides, perhaps we should've seen this coming anyway. Revan being a god and all that...

Hurray for HK-47, though. That's not the same voice actor playing him, right?

From the definition:

• REBIRTH (noun)

The noun REBIRTH has 4 senses:

1. after death the soul begins a new cycle of existence in another human body

2. a second or new birth

3. the revival of learning and culture

4. a spiritual enlightenment causing a person to lead a new life

This means Revan could also be dead but after the events of kotor he had a rebirth- this could be the Revan we play as in the kotor1 game since before that happen he was Jedi and Sith.

I doubt he is alive but maybe a Force Ghost. As a Force Ghost he could interact with the players and give info and history but the developers will not have to worry about the player wanting Revan to join their side or fight with him. This also allows a Force Ghost Revan to give inforation on the Emperor which could range from the time back 300 years ago which non of the Sith Empire would be alive to know or experienced.

Just my 2 cents

Logan

I still get pissed that Revan is still thought of as anything other than a Playable Character, therefore non existent outside of a name and basic canon game story outline... Its fanboys that have made him a Gary Stu, and now BW are playing on this. He must Stay Dead for the sake of KotOR I.

@logan23: Possible, but the video does imply that this doesn't mean his mindwipe by the Council. I don't like the idea of Revan being a Force ghost used as library by the players. If he does make an appearance, I'd want him to be more involved than just being there as an information center.

I still get pissed that Revan is still thought of as anything other than a Playable Character, therefore non existent outside of a name and basic canon game story outline... Its fanboys that have made him a Gary Stu, and now BW are playing on this. He must Stay Dead for the sake of KotOR I.
He is more than a playable character. Revan's character has been further fleshed out in KotOR II, the KotOR comics and that Darth bane novel. And probably some other stuff.

I agree [Edit: with Logan]. Revan has always been overrated. I mean, granted, the big plot twist involving him in the first game was a stroke of genius, and this is probably what propelled him to godlike status among fans, with good reason. But still, milking Revan for all he's worth to appease the fans is just wrong, and it will surely cheapen his character. They've already retconned him into having been the inspiration for Darth Bane's Rule of Two (in a book that I actually like very much, but it was still a fanboy's wet dream), and now they're having him be alive after half a millennium? Star Wars is chock full of characters surviving for hundreds or thousands of years. Enough already! This game already has one character like that, and one is more than enough.

If they really want to bring Revan back and show what became of him, there's a better solution: make KOTOR 3.

Also, until I hear otherwise, I'm willing to bet this is LucasArts' doing rather than BioWare's, and the latter will be the ones to take the fall for it if it turns out to be crap. LA has and still continues to tarnish Obsidian's good name for what happened to The Sith Lords, which was the result of LA's own poor judgment.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Revan reborn. I think it will ruin his legacy to be a force ghost or anything else. Holocron's are a good way of using him in stories such as in Path of Destruction but I'm don't want to see him having a major impact on other sith or jedi actions.

Revan wasn't overrated.

The reason why people love him is because they are him. He has NEVER been unmasked.

When I saw that shadowy figure go for the mask, I instantly flash-backed to my 'first' playthrough. Making him an NPC is like seeing yourself back in the game. And because he'll probably wear the mask, your Kotor 1 face could be behind it...

This could be the 'solution' for Revans fate I always dreamed of. I always found it strange it took the Sith so long to rebuild...almost as if someone was hindering them...or perhaps the Emperor was crapping his pants.

Maybe the Rebirth isn't literal. Perhaps (and I'm guessing) it is a point where light-side alignment Sith and dark-side alignment Jedi will experience something. A Yoda-cave sequence or something...

Or he's alive and kicking, frozen in carbonite (carbonite Sith/Jedi army from Empire anyone) waiting for a chance to kick some Sith Emperor ass.

@logan23: Possible, but the video does imply that this doesn't mean his mindwipe by the Council. I don't like the idea of Revan being a Force ghost used as library by the players. If he does make an appearance, I'd want him to be more involved than just being there as an information center.

I re-listen to the lines in the video and I'm almost 100 percent they mean re-birth as when he was re-birth through the council/mind wipe. They talk about him being Sith and Jedi and that was Revan during the Mando wars/Jedi and the Jedi Civil war/Sith. After would be the version you played in kotor1. In kotor1 he was both and neither....he was something new.

Logan

Revan wasn't overrated.

The reason why people love him is because they are him

My Point exactly.

To explain my previous Post, I dont think he sucks or that he is unimportant, but Treating him like this legendary Character is like talking of yourself in the 3rd person lol, those traits and feats are yours... unless you were a Darkside female of course hehe

I re-listen to the lines in the video and I'm almost 100 percent they mean re-birth as when he was re-birth through the council/mind wipe. They talk about him being Sith and Jedi and that was Revan during the Mando wars/Jedi and the Jedi Civil war/Sith. After would be the version you played in kotor1. In kotor1 he was both and neither....he was something new.
The line by one of the PC's (I think) "What do you mean, reborn? What was Revans final fate?" does imply otherwise.

The line by one of the PC's (I think) "What do you mean, reborn? What was Revans final fate?" does imply otherwise.

Actually its two questions.

One is asking the NPC to define what reborn means?

The second question what is Revan's final fate.

NPC can explain what happen to Revan's mind etc...then go onto what happen to Revan after kotor1.

Reavn's reprogramming of his mind is a form of rebirth..since the Revan that was in the Mando wars and the Start of the Jedi civil war/Sith side,....is not the same person as the Revan after...The Jedi council did a job on his mind and we can only guess how much did they do to it on purpose or due to his injuries from Malak's attack.

...complex is drawing power from reactors across this sector.

I'm not aware of any Star Wars technology that allows power plants to transmit energy across countless light-years of space without the use of cables.

So Revan might be alive again somehow, but is likely to have a very weakly-written copout of a return (if any). I'm dully surprised.

HK-47's back? Sod off, Bioware. It's been five years out-of-universe and three hundred in-universe. He isn't cool or interesting anymore.

Actually its two questions.

One is asking the NPC to define what reborn means?

The second question what is Revan's final fate.

The guy asking it says it in a manner that it links both questions. As if Revans final fate will answer what the rebirth means. It's pretty obvious that's what it suggests, with the shadow looming over the mask just after the guy asked those questions.

Revan could have done something to himself after discovering the true sith, there are several methods in the EU that would work in keeping him alive (carbonite, oubliette, essence transfer).

Me personally, I like the idea of Revan still being alive, if that is what they are implying. Such power to stay alive is not just limited to one person per era.

I'm not aware of any Star Wars technology that allows power plants to transmit energy across countless light-years of space without the use of cables.

So Revan might be alive again somehow, but is likely to have a very weakly-written copout of a return (if any). I'm dully surprised.

HK-47's back? Sod off, Bioware. It's been five years out-of-universe and three hundred in-universe. He isn't cool or interesting anymore.

It got me wondering as well. Did any of you find the look of that 'power plant' a bit Star-Forge like? Maybe we'll learn about that technology too...

I don't see the Revan and HK problems though. If they give Revan the Arthas treatment (tons of respect, awesome storyline, keeping the character intact) they both could work.

I think HK doesn't like the Jedi one bit and could be an ideal asset for non-force using Imperial characters. Maybe as a quest-giver, weapons trainer, skills trainer (how to efficiently kill Jedi) etc.

And for Revan...I would find it cool that, if he's brought back, he stays alive as well. So that it matters...

Don't know what the fuss is about regarding to HK-47. It's BioWare's character, so obviously they'll be staying true to the character (though I'd very much like him to be more of the philosopher he was in KotOR II). HK-47 is still cool and is probably going to be more interesting than every other character in TOR.

300 years in-universe is a lot, but look at Legacy: Artoo is still rolling in that comic, which makes him about 170 years old. Besides, ancient stuff doesn't mean it can't pose a threat. Look at those ancient droids in the ruins on Dantooine in KotOR I: it's thousands of years old and still posing a threat.

I went ahead and found this article on Wook:

Link..not the Zelda one..just a link.

Force of Corruption ended with the Discovery of this Star Wars 'Terracotta' army. The in-game files showed logo's similar to the Star Forge around the place (the logo of Revans Empire).

Maybe Bioware is actually tying all loose ends they can find together?

I like the mysticism surrounding the Revan reborn thing...

Archived