Home

Lucas: Live action series would cost "Fifty million an episode"

Astor

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an idea, George: Why not concentrate on things like intelligent dialog, character development and actual, as in not phoned-in, directing more than glitzy, yet still fake-looking, special effects and maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't have to cost $50 million an episode.

What a concept! :dozey:

Are you seriously asking what a big pile of money would be spent on for a Star Wars show?
With the times as they are now, I would think most of that money goes to the cost of fuel for the TIE's and the Falcon. I heard the Falcon only gets 25-lightyears to the giga-gallon.

Here's an idea, George: Why not concentrate on things like intelligent dialog, character development and actual, as in not phoned-in, directing more than glitzy, yet still fake-looking, special effects and maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't have to cost $50 million an episode.

What a concept! :dozey:

Yeah. They could do a 'Stargate' and have the story center around people. Having a Jedi walk through a forest near the studio's is considerably cheaper then rendering the forest in 3d....

Maybe a better option would be having some new material from another era, and not bleeding that TPM-ROTJ one for everything it has. Namely because it seems set in what happens(along with the fans seeing a majority of it), so why add anything new to it?

Though that might just be how Lucas works. Anything other than the movie period has to hope to slip through, and anything in the movie period? Its given a cliched story, characters we've seen before, and a dozen retcons making one think it just can't be decided on exactly how Anakin fell to the dark-side.

I'd love to watch, but that movie Era is getting old to me.

I hope its good, but at the minute, the only Star Wars I enjoy is old or is being written by someone else.
My understanding is that this show wouldn't be written by Lucas.

Maybe a better option would be having some new material from another era, and not bleeding that TPM-ROTJ one for everything it has.
It isn't the TPM-ROTJ, its the Dark Times era which has very little material in it currently.

Having a Jedi walk through a forest near the studio's is considerably cheaper then rendering the forest in 3d....
According to reports, there are no jedi (or at least main characters) in the show. It would focus on a group of more fringe-like characters.

But by all means, everyone continue to nerd rage like it was 2003! :p:D

It isn't the TPM-ROTJ, its the Dark Times era which has very little material in it currently.

Doesn't that count as TPM through ROTJ :)

According to reports, there are no jedi (or at least main characters) in the show. It would focus on a group of more fringe-like characters.

We'll see how long that one lasts

You know, I kind of wish that movies in general used a bit more puppets and actual physical effects instead of just CGIing everything. Unless he's making an army of puppets or something, I don't see how 50 million would go into each episode: CGI is supposed to be the cheaper way, isn't it?

I thought TFU already did that?

Well, from what I remember it was said that Darth Vader and the emperor and all that would only be mentioned infrequently and that the whole plot try to avoid the whole Jedi/Sith theme entirely since that's the main focus of the movies aside from the whole father/son deal.

Yes, I think I remember Lucas mentioning that at the most, major characters like Obi-Wan Kenobi would get a cameo appearance. With the exception of Boba Fett. Though I'm not sure it's been said that they were going to avoid the Jedi completely, a season with a Jedi in hiding as the overarching plot, for example, could work. But the focus would indeed be on civilians, soldiers and the scum of the galaxy.

An obvious hyperbole... right?

Yeah, I didn't buy it, either. I suspect that it's probably just LucasSpeak™ for "We'll most likely end up not making it."

Given the truly craptastic film-making that Lucasfilm has produced over the past 11 years, I can't say that I'd care either way. :indif:

Archived