Home

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - Ultimate Talkie Edition Projekt

LogicDeLuxe

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was intentional. The recording is very strange and somehow sounds horrible in the original order. Maybe it doesn't matter in the SE, since they didn't even bother to beat match the vocals here. But since I did, I noticed that it sounds much better that way. I got the suspicion, that the singer actually got the lines mixed up when he recorded them.

I see your reasons, but doing this completely messes with the flow of the song and means the lyrics and rhyming patterns just don't work as they should. I'd honestly just return it to the original order, as I'd rather have the song make sense and sound a bit off for two lines than have it fit the tune at the expense of the structure of the song itself.

Besides, Fink's a pirate, not a singer - he knows piratey songs, but nobody said he had to be able to sing them well. ; )

Also:

I would also suggest re-instating the "Nice!" variations (at least as an option, like with Spiffy's closeup) simply because the one chosen just isn't as funny to listen to as the others, regardless of quality. There are other voice clips with the same quality issues anyway (Such as "The one and only, sugarbear!" and especially "Now all I need are a few voodoo ingredients.")

If this is true and other lines exist with the same quality issues anyway, then I also am totally on-board for requesting the re-instatement of the other "Nice!" variations. = )

Finally, an animation bug I came across in Part II - when handing the Voodoo Lady Rapp Scallion's ashes for the Ash-2-Life™ mix, she briefly has two heads during the animation where she takes the ashes.

Am very much enjoying playing this with the voices - great work so far, LogicDeluxe! Will let you know any more bugs I find. = )

I also am totally on-board for requesting the re-instatement of the other "Nice!" variations. = )
"re-instatement" isn't exactly the word I would use, as there never was any variations in the script.

Anyway, I just implemented them. There are 5 versions of "Nice." which are chosen randomly now. Will be in the next version.

Finally, an animation bug I came across in Part II - when handing the Voodoo Lady Rapp Scallion's ashes for the Ash-2-Life™ mix, she briefly has two heads during the animation where she takes the ashes.
I'll check this.

Having completed the game now, I haven't come across many dialogue bugs. A few instances exist where the dialogue doesn't match the audio due to changes made in the Special Edition (talking to the Antique Dealer about Visa, mentioning the Stretchy Strongman to LeChuck in the finale and a few others I forget right now), but as far as actual bugs that's about it aside from the instances I already mentioned.

...Except for one pretty major dialogue bug in Part III - When LeChuck is holding you in his torture chamber, when he says the line "You see that candle over there?", the audio cuts off after "You see that c-" and skips straight to the next line.

Love what you've done with the credits - did it take much effort and reworking to get the music to transition differently to include the bone song and campfire theme? By the way, I like the way it uses the version of the campfire theme from the beginning for the Ultimate Talkie Edition credits before transitioning to the correct whistle-only version for the "do something constructive" suggestions, but is it possible to make it change between the two happen closer to when the suggestions start popping up? At the moment it waits for the song to do a full loop, which means a lot of the suggestions still have the full version of the song playing over them.

Also, I loved the placeholder text in the Ultimate Talkie edition credits. XD Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet and all that... cracked me up when I noticed. I assume they'll be replace with names as more people test and submit suggestions, but it was awesome to see.

Excellent work so far, overall, anyway! = D

Having completed the game now, I haven't come across many dialogue bugs. A few instances exist where the dialogue doesn't match the audio due to changes made in the Special Edition (talking to the Antique Dealer about Visa, mentioning the Stretchy Strongman to LeChuck in the finale and a few others I forget right now), but as far as actual bugs that's about it aside from the instances I already mentioned.
Not all SE changes have the "match voice" mode implemented yet. That's definitely on my list.

Here is a list of all dialog changes I encountered:

Hi. I'm Guybrush Threepwood, ghost-busting stud. = Hi. I'm Guybrush Threepwood, LeChuck-busting stud.

Did I mention that I'm Guybrush the ghost-busting stud? = Did I mention that I'm Guybrush the LeChuck-busting stud?

Do you take Visa? = Do you take credit?

visa visa visa = credit credit credit

What is this? Midget wrestling? = I'm not dressed for wrestling.

I went out for a smoke. = I went out for a swim.

I don't suppose it's a Nintendo™ game = I don't suppose it's a LucasArts™ game

"The Story of Jello" = `The Story of Jelly`

"Grammy Award Winners of the Renaissance" = `Great Rock Musicians of the Renaissance`

I feel pretty. = That's a nice looking beard.

Oh, so pretty. = One thing's for sure...

So pretty and witty and wise. = I am never shaving this off.

I'm selling these fine Corinthian leather jackets. = I'm selling these fine leather jackets.

Hey, it's Zonker Harris in a dress! = Hey, it's Kyle Katarn in a dress!

Macintosh Grey? = Macintosh Red?

Cool, a Chuck E. Cheese token! = Cool, an arcade token!

and of course all the "helium"-songs.

Oddly enough, "I feel pretty." exists as a recorded line, despite it isn't used in the SE. I kept it at the antique, but changed it to the replacement at Rum Roger's when in "match voice" mode.

Interesting thing about the "You know, this doll reminds me of the Stretchy Strongman I had as a kid." line. I didn't notice, because it's only the voice acting which was changed. The original line is still in the SE subtitle file.

Did you notice more lines not in the list above?

Love what you've done with the credits - did it take much effort and reworking to get the music to transition differently to include the bone song and campfire theme?
The tweaking took some time (I added the end scene boot param for a reason). The entire cast is match to the beats.

Btw., I noticed something interesting during testing. When in PC speaker mode, there is a completely different medley during the end credits. It is somewhat longer than the AdLib and MT-32 versions. And it loops into the LeChuck theme at the end.

At the moment it waits for the song to do a full loop, which means a lot of the suggestions still have the full version of the song playing over them.
Well, the transition wouldn't work without the whistle over it, thus it only works at the beginning of the song. I could start the song from a later point instead of the beginning, but this would probably sound rather silly.

Also, I loved the placeholder text in the Ultimate Talkie edition credits. XD Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet and all that... cracked me up when I noticed. I assume they'll be replace with names as more people test and submit suggestions, but it was awesome to see.
Of course. I needed something to test the formatting, and since there was no beta yet, there can't be any beta testers, right?

Governor Phatt's line ending with "You'll fall into the jello!" was replaced with "You'll fall into the jelly!"

And why on earth did they get rid of the line about smoking? Considering SoMI:SE actually SHOWED smoking with Captain Smirk, it's very odd that it was removed here.

Did you notice more lines not in the list above?

Off the top of my head there's only one that I can remember right now, from Guybrush's mother in the ending scene:

You don't know what kinds of murderers and white slavers might be hanging around a place like this. = You don't know what kinds of murderers and ne'er do wells might be hanging around a place like this.

I'll make sure to switch to Speech and Subtitles mode for my next playthrough though - that'll make any dialogue changes that we haven't spotted yet a lot easier to catch. = )

When starting scummvm_fan_patched.exe I get an error saying that SDL.dll is missing. Copying the exe over to my regular ScummVM folder (which contains SDL.dll) I get a "Application couldn't be started correctly (0xc000007b)"-error.
Is it by any chance a 64-bit version of ScummVM? Don't mix those.

I'm almost certain one of the fisherman's lines about "my rod" was changed to "my fishing rod" due to the crude double entendre potential.
You are right. Another change not present in the subtitle file.

Is it by any chance a 64-bit version of ScummVM? Don't mix those.
Bingo, that was it. Thanks!

Another suggestion: Is it possible to add the ambience sounds of the SE? Maybe via theoretical CD audio tracks?

Also: In the SE some voice files are processed on the fly to add effects like reverb (i.e. Elaine and Guybrush in the opening scene). Is it possible to add this? I'm not sure what kind of command line tools allow to process audio files this way...

I'd like the ambience, but I'm not holding my breath for CD audio. :p It'd be brilliant to have, but would probably require building an entire new music system on top of the game, which only just barely worked in the Special Edition, with a lot of errors.

But hey, if it turns out to be do-able, I'm totally on board for it. :D Since this is an ongoing project, any errors can be found and repaired, and we can make it work perfectly.

Another suggestion: Is it possible to add the ambience sounds of the SE? Maybe via theoretical CD audio tracks?
This would have low priority. I might take a look at it later on.
Also: In the SE some voice files are processed on the fly to add effects like reverb (i.e. Elaine and Guybrush in the opening scene). Is it possible to add this? I'm not sure what kind of command line tools allow to process audio files this way...
I use SoX in my batch processing, which is a very powerful command line tool.

This sure would require some work, as I have to find all samples which needs to be altered.

I might look into it.

It seems odd, that those particular scene has real time processing, while most samples have effects already added, like Rapp Scallion and Stan in the closed coffin. (Stan variations are not implemented yet)

It seems odd, that those particular scene has real time processing, while most samples have effects already added, like Rapp Scallion and Stan in the closed coffin.

I assume scenes with real-time processing (Underwater, Big Whoop Pit, Underground Tunnels etc.) are done that way because Guybrush can look at his inventory in these scenes (with the exception of the intro version of the Big Whoop pit, which was possibly just done for consistency with the later version). If the audio was pre-processed, you'd have to have variations of nearly every inventory item's audio descriptions (as well as other global dialogue such as "Nice." and "I can't move it." etc.) to match each location. If you didn't, you'd have the rather jarring effect of only some of what Guybrush says having the correct reverb. Wheras, for the coffin dialogues, only Rapp Scallion and Stan ever use the effect, so it can be pre-processed with no worry as it doesn't affect any global dialogue.

That's something to consider if you do attempt to implement this with pre-processed audio. If you could, it'd be totally awesome and greatly add to the atmosphere - indeed, I loved it in the SE. But you'd have to do something like add a check to see which room you're in to most of the global dialogue, and have different variations for rooms with different reverb effects. I'd imagine it'd probably be a LOT of work to implement.

GREAT to see you doing this with Monkey Island 2, you did a great job with the first one and I can't wait to see how this one ends up.

A couple of things you may be able to fix or be interested to know about:

In the SE's classic mode, Guybrush says "That is a nice looking beard" when he looks in the mirror in his inventory, but the subtitle says "I feel pretty", were you gonna change that to the "I feel pretty" voice-file for your version of the game?

There are only a few "Nice _____" that were actually recorded (Nice stick, Nice door, Nice window), maybe you could make it so that Guybrush says these for all doors, windows, and sticks with the default "Nice" line. For instance, Guybrush says "Nice stick" on the beach, but when he looks at it in his inventory, just "Nice." Plus there are a couple of doors where simply "Nice" is said. Maybe you could use the available recorded lines and use them whenever possible.

Sometimes when I entered the gambling alleyway on Phatt Island, the wheel-operator would be non-visible for a second, then show up as soon as he said his first line. This is probably because he shares another actor's actor number which is currently in another room, but maybe you could alter this code so that he shows up when GB enters the room, rather than the game calling him back into the room when he says his first line.

I'll post back when I think of more stuff to input.

Great job so far!

XD

In the SE's classic mode, Guybrush says "That is a nice looking beard" when he looks in the mirror in his inventory, but the subtitle says "I feel pretty", were you gonna change that to the "I feel pretty" voice-file for your version of the game?
Yes, I used the "I feel pretty." sample, which, oddly enough, exists.

When the mirror is installed in Rum Rogers cottage, a bit more of that song is quoted for which no samples exists. In that case, I changed the entire text to the SE replacements, since keeping just "I feel pretty." wouldn't make sense in conjunction with the following lines. In original text mode, this scene is silent.

Sometimes when I entered the gambling alleyway on Phatt Island, the wheel-operator would be non-visible for a second
Is there a reliable way to reproduce this bug? I rarely encountered this, and it seemed rather random.

New version: http://www.mediafire.com/?9e772mbd4tismd4

v0.2 beta:

- Automated extraction of monkey2.000 and monkey2.001.

- "Oh. Shut up." wrong sample at Woddy.

- Cut off "You see that candle over there?".

- Music sync when dream-LeChuck morphs into root beer spraying Guybrush.

- Music stopped at peninsula. (v0.1 beta)

- "Nice." variations included.

- Various scenes now honor the "original text"/"match voice" setting.

- Stan variations for open and closed coffin.

- At Dinky beach, Guybrush automatically picks up the glass if necessary instead of magically filling it with water.

- Propper fix for spitting out the candle in easy mode.

- The wheel of fortune graphic always stopped at black (dark) in easy mode.

- Roulette dealer announced random colors in easy mode instead of the chosen one. (v0.1 beta)

- In the final chapter, you always have at least 4 seconds to react when LeChuck appears now. Previously, this was completely dependent on subtitle speed.

- Using the voodoo doll inside the lift wasn't supposed to be done, because it interferes with other scripts, yet it was possible when making the voodoo doll and using it fast enough as soon LeChuck appears. This is no longer possible.

- Paper look with Kate's flyer on the wanted-poster fixed.

- Mêlée Island door fixed.

Just downloaded v0.2 - have literally only just started a new playthrough, but just had to post a message to say I was very glad to see that, as well as the updates listed above, Fink's lines in his Scabb Island song have been switched back to the correct order!

Also, I've noticed one dialogue change that's been missed already at the start of Part I, when Largo's dangling you from the bridge:

Maybe I should make you one out of cement! = Maybe I should cut you one out of cement!

I'm looking forward to seeing the graphical fixes mentioned in the updates list, too. = ) Will be sure to let you know about any bugs I find, as usual.

Finished Part I - here's a complete list of bugs & dialogue changes I noticed so far:

Dialogue Changes

While being mugged by Largo:

There are no police on Scabb Island! = There's no police on Scabb Island!

Maybe I should make you one out of cement! = Maybe I should cut you one out of cement!

Talking to Captain Dread:

There's no way he'd let me leave. = There's no way he would let me leave.

Getting a job in the Bloody Lip:

Now go strap on an apron and get to work. = Now go strap on that apron and get to work.

(I know some of these are incredibly minor, but thought I'd document them anyway to get the most detailed list possible for you.)

Bugs

-When looking at your riches at the start, the line This maybe a lot of money, but it's nothing compared to how rich I'll be when I find Big Whoop. has a typo; in this context, it should read may be rather than the word maybe.

-If Largo discovers you in his room, his final line of dialogue, So, get the $#* out of here!, gets cut off by Guybrush leaving the room. Is there any way to force the scene to not change until the line is finished?

-When you have the completed voodoo doll of Largo, let Largo kick you out of his room before you get a chance to use it - the audio for his line Get out of my room. cuts off partway through.

-The Bartender in the Bloody Lip is the only character not affected by the lighting - Guybrush, Largo and Bernard are all darkened when in the bar, and adjust brightness depending on where in the bar they are, but the Bartender does not and looks unusually bright compared to everyone else as a result.

That's all I found in Part I. Will post again with anything more when I've completed some more of the game. = ) Loving it so far though. Particularly nice to hear the other "Nice" variations implemented, too. Excellent work!

There's no way he'd let me leave. = There's no way he would let me leave.
I would think about that one as the actor's liberty. There are a lot lines like this, also in MI1SE. I wouldn't exactly call it broken.

Typos on the other hand, I will fix, of course, like I already did a few. And those really altered texts, I will add for the "match voice acting"-option.

-The Bartender in the Bloody Lip is the only character not affected by the lighting - Guybrush, Largo and Bernard are all darkened when in the bar, and adjust brightness depending on where in the bar they are, but the Bartender does not and looks unusually bright compared to everyone else as a result.
This is no true color game. The colors are limited, and so is what can be done with these effects. If you look further, you will notice that the fishes in the background have the wrong brightness in cutscenes, ie. the same as Largo/Bernard. That won't change either.

This is no true color game. The colors are limited, and so is what can be done with these effects. If you look further, you will notice that the fishes in the background have the wrong brightness in cutscenes, ie. the same as Largo/Bernard. That won't change either.

Ah, righto - my mistake. Should have realised there'd be a limit on effects of that sort.

Anyway, have just finished Part II and have a mammoth list of bugs and dialogue changes ready for you. That's probably the largest part of the game out of the way now. I might see if I can do Parts III and IV all at once when I next get the chance to play, since they're both pretty small and self-contained.

Dialogue Changes:

Talking to DeWaat on Booty:

What? They doin' a treasure hunt again this year? = What? They're doin' a treasure hunt again this year?

Looking at the Spit Plaque:

It's a plaque with an old-looking gob of something on it. = It's a plaque with an odd-looking gob of something on it.

Talking to Elaine:

You know, I do have work to do. = You know, I have work to do.

Go tell it to your mamma. = Go tell it to your mother.

Talking to the Fisherman on Phatt:

I think you're just trying to get your hands on my pole. = I think you're just trying to get your hands on my fishing pole.

I'll give you my prize-winning pole. = I'll give you my prize-winning fishing pole.

Think I'll just drop a line right here. = Think I'll drop a line right here.

Looking at the mirror at Rum Rogers':

That's a nice looking beard. = That is a nice looking beard. (Unless the SE subtitle for this replacement line really says "That's" rather than "That is", in which case just leave it as is - I haven't had a chance to check this, so thought I'd mention it regardless).

Delivery Men in Scabb Island Swamp:

Hey, Rich. I could use a hand with this one. = Hey, Rich. I sure could use a hand with this one.

In LeChuck's Fortress (cutscene):

You will regret a lot more if he finds another. = You will regret it a lot more if he finds another.

On Captain Kate's Ship:

This ship is so small, the rats leaving it are humpbacked. = This ship is so small, the rats are leaving it humpbacked.

Typos:

-Talking to DeWaat on Booty, the line Well, if it's a party your looking for... has a typo; your should be you're in this context.

-At Stan's, I'm pretty sure the line Making plot reservations now insures you a space at our popular Scabb Island Internment Park™... has a typo - the context of the line suggests that insures is actually intended to be ensures, as in "guarantees". Not sure about this one, though.

-During the bone dance, rib bone is consistently mis-spelt as rip bone in all of the lines sung by the skeletons. This doesn't affect any of Guybrush's lines or the lyrics written on the paper as far as I could see.

Bugs:

Booty Island:

-In the Antique Shop, if you talk to the parrot while the antique dealer is talking, after finishing its line the parrot doesn't stop its' talking animation. Instead, the animation will continue until the dealer finishes his remaining lines of dialogue.

-At Stan's, Guybrush still points the wrong way if facing the coffin and selecting the dialogue option How much is that coffin?. Adding the same check to see which way he's facing that you added to the Could you show me that coffin again? dialogue option should fix this.

-Sometimes, when Stan is in the coffin, if you open the coffin just as Stan's line is ending, even though the coffin is open his next line will be said in the "coffin closed" muffled voice and his talking animation will not play. Sometimes this also affects it the other way - if you close the coffin sometimes he will speak his next line in the "out of the coffin" voice. This seems harder to do than the other way around, though.

-At the Spitting Contest, there's an art goof - the banner on the far right reads "Pirate's Spit Contest!" rather than "Pirates' Spit Contest" as it should. Originally all the banners were incorrect, but this was fixed sometime between the demo and the full game; however, this banner was apparently missed when they fixed the other two.

-At Governor Marley's Party, when the skeleton guest says It's alright., the audio says Yep. instead. This seems like it's probably using the wrong audio file, rather than being a dialogue change, as the same Yep. is also correctly used elsewhere.

-Also at the party, the Pig-mask guest on the far right seems to have the audio files for his (cheap sexual innuendo) and (mindless retort) lines the wrong way around - currently his (cheap sexual innuendo) is a reply to the clown's (cheap sexual innuendo), while his (mindless retort) is him telling his own tale of innuendo.

Phatt Island:

-In the Jail, When offering the bone to Walt, Guybrush's whistle sounds occur at the same time as his dialogue lines Here, doggie doggie. and Here boy! It would be impossible for him to whistle to the dog and speak at the same time. Is it possible to make each whistle happen just before each of his lines instead?

-Also in the Jail, When talking to Captain Kate, Guybrush's line, I can explain, I--, gets cut off earlier than it should.

-At the top of the waterfall, when I used the monkey on the pump, the waterfall sound cut out after Guybrush had taken the monkey out of his pocket but before he'd actually used it to turn off the pump. Not sure what caused this.

Scabb Island:

-At the Voodoo Shack, the bug I mentioned before where the Voodoo Lady has two heads when taking Rapp Scallion's ashes from you still occurs. It looks like her head from her sitting/talking animation stays in place while her body plays the animation for taking the ashes, resulting in her briefly having two heads.

-On the close-up of Rapp Scallion's coffin, this bug occurred. Rapp Scallion's map piece was the third I got. Guybrush's line, That makes three map pieces - only one to go! occurred at the same time as Rapp's disappearing animation. Although the audio for the line played, no text was displayed despite being in Speech and Subtitles mode. Is this Rapp's animation interfering with the line? If so, is it possible to delay the appropriate

That's the (X)th map piece line until after Rapp is done disappearing?

One last question - I didn't include this in the bugs list as it would involve heavy modification of a background, and I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for this project, but: are there any plans to fix the lack of any floor outside the Woodcutter's door in Woodtick, or will this be left as-is to preserve the original background art as-is?

Anyway, hope that's not too mammoth of a list for you! = ) I've tried to be incredibly thorough on this playthrough to maxmise the amount of bugs I'm catching, so I'm afraid it's quite a large info-dump at once. Will let you know as soon as I have anything more, k? Until then, keep up the good work! = D

Archived