Home

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - Ultimate Talkie Edition Projekt

LogicDeLuxe

-Sometimes, when Stan is in the coffin, if you open the coffin just as Stan's line is ending, even though the coffin is open his next line will be said in the "coffin closed" muffled voice and his talking animation will not play. Sometimes this also affects it the other way - if you close the coffin sometimes he will speak his next line in the "out of the coffin" voice. This seems harder to do than the other way around, though.
This implementation was rather complicated, so I'm not suprised it didn't work perfect right away. I'll look into it.

Also, the game might hang when trying to open the coffin after nailed shut, I noticed. Should be easier to fix than the other issue, though.

-At Governor Marley's Party, when the skeleton guest says It's alright., the audio says Yep. instead. This seems like it's probably using the wrong audio file, rather than being a dialogue change, as the same Yep. is also correctly used elsewhere.
The correct file doesn't seem to exist, so I intentionally used this instead. I forgot about it when implementing the "match voice"-mode. I will change the subtitle accordingly.
-Also at the party, the Pig-mask guest on the far right seems to have the audio files for his (cheap sexual innuendo) and (mindless retort) lines the wrong way around - currently his (cheap sexual innuendo) is a reply to the clown's (cheap sexual innuendo), while his (mindless retort) is him telling his own tale of innuendo.
Interesting. The subtitles don't suggest anything meaningful, so I just put them in order. Should be easy to change, though.

Phatt Island:

-In the Jail, When offering the bone to Walt, Guybrush's whistle sounds occur at the same time as his dialogue lines Here, doggie doggie. and Here boy! It would be impossible for him to whistle to the dog and speak at the same time. Is it possible to make each whistle happen just before each of his lines instead?

I think, this was the first I changed after uploading v0.2. It was obviously enough, so I tweaked the timing a bit. Funny enough, the same bug is present in the SE in classic mode.
-At the top of the waterfall, when I used the monkey on the pump, the waterfall sound cut out after Guybrush had taken the monkey out of his pocket but before he'd actually used it to turn off the pump. Not sure what caused this.
Not only there. It pretty much stops randomly, even if you just wait at the fall or at the pump. Probably a limitation of iMuse AdLib. This and some similar bugs are documented by ScummVM, yet no one managed to write a workaround yet. I guess, changing the scripts won't solve this issue.
One last question - I didn't include this in the bugs list as it would involve heavy modification of a background, and I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for this project, but: are there any plans to fix the lack of any floor outside the Woodcutter's door in Woodtick, or will this be left as-is to preserve the original background art as-is?
I think, I leave it to any graphics enhancements projects, just like I did with MI1. There are quite some inconsistencies in the drawings, which fortunately don't interfere with gameplay.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I only noticed the other day something REALLY majorly wrong with the art in Woodtick - in the Bloody Lip, the view outside the windows is totally submerged, but it's dry outside the windows in the kitchen. And then the windows in the kitchen are on the wrong side of the room in relation to the outside view, as though the shot were mirrored.

I think, I leave it to any graphics enhancements projects, just like I did with MI1. There are quite some inconsistencies in the drawings, which fortunately don't interfere with gameplay.

I figured that would be the case. Thought I'd better mention it to make sure, though. = )

Have finished Parts III and IV now - not much at all from these! Part II was definitely the meatiest part, I think. Anyway, here they are:

Dialogue Changes

LeChuck's Fortress:

I will then take your bones... = I will take your bones...

Talking to Chester on Dinky:

How hard could that be? = How hard can that be?

Finalé:

You know, this doll reminds me of the Stretchy Muscleman I had as a kid. - I know this line has already been changed to match the audio, but I would suggest one tweak to the text: re-instating the from the original Stretchy Strongman™ version of the line. ™s are a staple of Monkey Island, and besides, most other "products" in MI2 have one - see Stan's Kozy Krypts™, Ash-2-Life™, or for an example from the same scene, Junior Ultra Soldier Commando Assault Vehicle™. As a result, I feel Stretchy Muscleman™ would work better here than the current version without the ™.

But you've got to see-- = You've got to see--

No chance, you'll just rip out my lungs when I get close. = No chance, you'll just rip my lungs out when I get close.

Bugs

-In the first scene of Part III, the delivery man with red hair looks miscoloured. The darkest shade of his skin is instead incredibly bright. I am guessing this is probably something like the Bartender issue I brought up before and thus cannot be fixed, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

-The Parrot on Dinky has whistle sound effects that still overlap with some of its' dialogue. Since all these SFX are replaced with voice clips in the SE, I'm guessing this will be eventually fixed when the extra/updated SFX from the SE start being implemented.

-In the Finalé, the elevator and Juju bag are missing sound FX. I know adding sound to the Juju bag was mentioned as a fix that'd already been done in the v0.1 update list, so this confused me a little. Don't know if it makes any difference, but the room I used the bag in was the Mêlée Island back alley.

That seems to be it for now! Obviously this was only a single playthrough, so I didn't get to test quite all of the available dialogue options, but I was as thorough as I could be within that limitation. Hopefully this playthrough as a whole has captured a good amount of bugs + changes. = )

-In the Finalé, the elevator and Juju bag are missing sound FX.
It does work most of the time, though. It seems, the complex finale music sometimes takes all resources. Probably the same limitation as with the water fall.

Also the campfire crackle is known to suffer from this.

The voodoo bag should be fixable with the usage of sampled sounds, but the elevator, the fire crackle or the water fall can't be replaced, since those would overlap with speech.

It does work most of the time, though. It seems, the complex finale music sometimes takes all resources. Probably the same limitation as with the water fall.

Also the campfire crackle is known to suffer from this.

Yeah, I just completed an Easy Mode playthrough to test for additional bugs/typos, and the SFX for both worked fine this time. Didn't find any additional bugs/typos, by the way, and the Easy-Mode-only dialogue seems 100% fine as far as I can see. = )

Shame it won't be fixable for the campfire/waterfall/elevator, but understandable as that's just due to the limitations of the game engine. Good to know the bag should work properly all the time when the SE SFX for it are implemented, though.

• 4 weeks later...

the official features list of MI2SE says: "Character voiceover available in both Special Edition and Classic modes".

so, i have just this one question and i will probably be flamed to hell and back for it:

Couldn't you just play the classic mode with voiceover enabled? So, what is the actual goal of this project when you already got the "talkie" in MI2SE? you'll need to buy MI2SE for this patch anyway, AFAIK.

I'm sorry if i'm totally missing the point of this project. i don't want to offend someone, you guys did a great job on the Ultimate Talkie Edition for MI1.

Plus, on top of the above point, this version also aims to fix bugs and, to some extent, art goofs present in the original game. Being run from the original files rather than through the SE's interpreter, it also avoids any bugs that are the fault of the interpreter executable. There's also corrections to text etc. such as instances where the makers of the SE forgot to change some lines to match the altered dialogue; plus the ability to play with the original unmodified dialogue if you want, something that is not possible in the SE. Also, the ability to turn the narrator on and off, depending on whether the narration bugs you or not.

Overall, it just aims to be a 'complete' version of the classic version of MI2, with voice acting, as few bugs as possible and more customisation options than the SE's classic version allows. = )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm trying to compile the source under Linux ubuntu 10.04 but the ./configure file doesn't work properly and due to that I can't proceed to the make command.

Here's the output:

jon@jon-desktop:~/Desktop/scummvm-1.2.0_fan_patch$ sudo ./configure
Running ScummVM configure...
Looking for C++ compiler... g++
Checking for compiler version... 4.4.3, ok
Checking for whether -Wglobal-constructors work... no
Checking endianness... little
Type with 1 byte... char
Type with 2 bytes... short
Type with 4 bytes... int
Compiling for x86... yes
Checking hosttype... linux-gnu
Alignment required... no
Checking whether to have a verbose build... no
Checking whether building plugins was requested... no
Checking for Ogg Vorbis... yes
Checking for Tremor... no (Ogg Vorbis/Tremor support is mutually exclusive)
Checking for FLAC >= 1.0.1... no
Checking for MAD... no
Checking for ALSA >= 0.9... no
Checking for SEQ MIDI... yes
Checking for zlib... no
Checking for libmpeg2 >= 0.3.2... no
Checking for libfluidsynth... no
Checking for readline... skipping (text console disabled)
Checking for nasm... not found
Building translation support... yes (with runtime language detection)
Backend... sdl, 16bit color, HQ scalers, MT-32 emu, Indeo3 decoder
Looking for sdl-config... none found!

What should I do?

EDIT: OK, According to this, I need to install libsdl1.2debian-all and libsdl1.2-dev.

The problem is, to install them I have to remove the ubuntu-desktop package! And i obviously don't want to do that :)

I see if I can find something.

• 2 months later...

The problem is, to install them I have to remove the ubuntu-desktop package! And i obviously don't want to do that :)

I see if I can find something.

I realise this reply is a little late but it's totally fine for you to do that. ubuntu-desktop is a meta package for GNOME. It won't remove anything if you uninstall it.

You can reinstall it again afterwards if you like.

I realise this reply is a little late but it's totally fine for you to do that. ubuntu-desktop is a meta package for GNOME. It won't remove anything if you uninstall it.

You can reinstall it again afterwards if you like.

Thanks for the info!

I gave up compiling it 3~4 weeks ago.

I hope it continues the compiling successfully after I've removed the package.

• 2 months later...

Hello I'm from Spain, you have done a really nice job, thanks for this. I have a little question about merge Spanish text files of MI2 CD with the "MI2 Ultimate Talkie Edition". I tried copy some files from one version to another, but this hasn't worked. Can you help me?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm still planning to finish this project soon.

In the meantime, here is a reupload of the last beta: http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/2/1/3258380/MI2_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition_Builder_0.2.zip

I've not been on here in a long while now - probably not since my last post in this thread back in 2010 - so to check back and find some news of this project was a nice surprise!

I'm really glad to hear this project isn't dead. If you would like me to continue testing and bug-reporting from where I left off last time, I'd be happy to help out again. = ) I'm employed in a full-time job now, so would have a bit less time for it than I did last time around; however, I'd be happy to put in the time when I can to make sure we catch as many bugs and instances of changed dialogue as possible. This project wasn't far off of being as complete and polished as the MI1 Talkie Edition project, and I'd love to help out again in taking it that extra step to completion.

Obviously I'd wait for a new version to be released before getting started, though - I'm pretty sure I reported everything I could find in the previous version, and if work on a new version is continuing again there's no point in me reporting things that might already have been fixed in the upcoming edition.

Will keep my eyes open for any updates in future. = )

• 1 month later...

Archived