Home

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - Ultimate Talkie Edition Projekt

LogicDeLuxe

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Guys, have you got alpha problems with importing images back to the game?

what dds format do you save images? If I use different setting than: DXT1 ARGB 4 bpp | 1 bit alpha , the game freeze on loading (???) and DXT1 is such a low format and all looks ugly.

Any solution?

can you please let me know how can i import image to MI2 ? then i will let you know the result

thanks

Hi, yes its simple.

I found out that the biggest problem was in Photoshop CS6 and dds plugin. So you have to do is:

1. Use Monkey explorer and save image (you would like to modify) as dds.

2. Open it in Photoshop and repaint it, then save it as TGA 32 bit. (alpha)

3. Download Gimp 2.8 + dds plugin for Gimp 2.8 and open your TGA in it.

4. Export it as dds with compression BC3/DXT5

5. Convert your dds back to dxt with Image converter 1.1

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software/monkey-island-image-converter

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software/monkey-island-explorer

You have to save your new "image.dxt" to the same folder as original root file "monkey2.pak" has.

For example: If your image was in the folder: "rooms/images/4_shore/" you have to create exactly same folder in root folder of the game. Game will load your new file instead of original file from monkey2.pak

(same thing for MI1:SE and MI2:SE, all files has to have exact name as original files)

I hope this helped.

can you please let me know how can i import image to MI2 ? then i will let you know the result

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too would like an update on this. i noticed monkey island 2 se has converted roland music of some kind in "classic mode" which sounds like the cd audio of monkey1 but when I try this installer i only get the soundblaster music which is inferior. Is there anyway of putting this music in place of the soundblaster music? i could play the original monkey2 se but then loose out on the scummvm pixel smoothing and subtitles getting in the way!

Really enjoying MI1 original gfx with speech though - great job!!

Is there anyway of putting this music in place of the soundblaster music?
Use MT-32. Either a real one or an emulator. ScummVM comes with an MT-32 emulator. You need the MT-32 ROMs, though.

This requirement won't change in the final version, either.

You might also try ScummVM's ability to translate the MIDI to GM. Depending on your wavetable, this can sound rather good too.

Use MT-32. Either a real one or an emulator. ScummVM comes with an MT-32 emulator. You need the MT-32 ROMs, though.

This requirement won't change in the final version, either.

You might also try ScummVM's ability to translate the MIDI to GM. Depending on your wavetable, this can sound rather good too.

but since the audio is on the se version, surely that's not using mt-32 otherwise it wouldn't be playing, so it must be just the music converted into some other audio format much like the cd audio version of MI1 was?

It's not that simple. It's not a case of simply playing an audio format. The Special Edition of Monkey Island 2 completely changes the way the music is played in the actual executable file. The original used iMuse, which played digital music and was able to change the way the music played on the fly. In order to simulate this with samples, the team at LucasArts had to specifically record instrumental music in different sounds in order to make it seem like the music is changing as it did in the original version of Monkey Island 2. They had to specifically program the ability to interact with the original scripts to play the right samples at the right time for the special edition. There's no way to repeat this in ScummVM without some major programming work.

It's not that simple. It's not a case of simply playing an audio format. The Special Edition of Monkey Island 2 completely changes the way the music is played in the actual executable file. The original used iMuse, which played digital music and was able to change the way the music played on the fly. In order to simulate this with samples, the team at LucasArts had to specifically record instrumental music in different sounds in order to make it seem like the music is changing as it did in the original version of Monkey Island 2. They had to specifically program the ability to interact with the original scripts to play the right samples at the right time for the special edition. There's no way to repeat this in ScummVM without some major programming work.

ah i see. thanks for the explanation. one thing i don't understand by that explanation however is how scummvm is able to play the music in the se at all? but in sounblaster mode instead of the "mt-32" music that is heard in classic mode? I didn't even think the original soundblaster music even existed in the se? All i hear is the new music in "enhanced" mode or the "mt-32" music in the classic mode. I'm guessing the installer just creates copies of the original files of the game and somehow just gets it to play the voices on top by creating a monster.sou file?

I wish lucasarts just made a decent remake to begin with that allowed you to turn off subtitles in classic mode and edge smooth like scummvm does then we wouldn't have this trouble lol! - a native android port would have been nice too!

I didn't even think the original soundblaster music even existed in the se?
The resources are all there, just like they were in the DOS version. The only reason you don't hear them in the SE is, that the executable doesn't support them.
I'm guessing the installer just creates copies of the original files of the game and somehow just gets it to play the voices on top by creating a monster.sou file?
It's not just copying but also patching many script, which involved much work to make this possible. The monster.sou would be completely ignored by the engine with just copying the original files.

Apart from the music, this works rather similar to the MI1 ultimate talkie edition. You may read that thread, if you are interested in all the details we went through: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=199288

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been encountering a few problems in both talkies that don't seem to be mentioned at all as far as I can see, and I was hoping you guys could help me out:

Voice hiccups - lines of dialogue don't get time to finish before another one starts; this doesn't happen with every line but when it starts, it happens more frequently after that point. Sometimes one line will just have a pause with no sound and I'll get the end of the line, for example "How appropriate, you fight like a cow" might change to ".....like a cow". Note that I'm playing without subtitles on.

Game specific bugs:

MI1 - After haggling the price of the ship down to the right price with Stan, the option to make an offer of 5000 pieces o'eight is not available.

MI2 - After getting the winning number for the spinning wheel on Phatt Island from the hand in the door puzzle, the option to pick that number is not available.

I'm not sure why this is happening, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I'm playing both games on ScummVM, not DOSBox.

I believe that voice hiccups issue with at least the MI1 Talkie Project was "fixed" by setting the dialog/text speed of the in-game options to be very fast.

That may or may not apply here, but it could be something to play with.

Edit* I didn't notice that you also mentioned your issues in the MI1 Talkie thread...

Thanks, I'll try it out. As for the other bugs, I know the workaround for each, but it would just be nice if I didn't have to do the workaround and the options just appeared. I found that if I threaten to leave with Stan twice, I'll get the option, and if I solve the hand puzzle twice, I get the option there, it's just a nuisance and I'd like to avoid it if I can.

MI2 - After getting the winning number for the spinning wheel on Phatt Island from the hand in the door puzzle, the option to pick that number is not available.
Could it be, that this kid just bet on the number you got? If that is the case, just knock on that door and ask for a new number. Remember, the guy behind the door tells you, that he fixes only one number at a time.

Could it be, that this kid just bet on the number you got? If that is the case, just knock on that door and ask for a new number. Remember, the guy behind the door tells you, that he fixes only one number at a time.

Hmm, that's odd. I've never heard the guy behind the door say that he only fixes one number at a time. Is there a specific dialog option I have to pick in order to get that response? Either way, thanks for such a fast reply :)

Hmm, that's odd. I've never heard the guy behind the door say that he only fixes one number at a time. Is there a specific dialog option I have to pick in order to get that response? Either way, thanks for such a fast reply :)
Just ask him for the next number twice without leaving the place in-between, and you should get that line.

Has anyone else experienced this error while trying to run the MI2 talkie builder? It is able to extract all the initial wav files, then creates the CHF_97..., and vx112... wav files, and then gives the following error:

mixing special case samples.

The system cannot find the path specified.

'..\sox is not recogniszed as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file....

Then is not able to creat the temp1 or temp2 wav files, and then get a similar error:

patching scripts

'MI2_ResExtract' is not recognized as a command file...

'bspatch' is not recognized as a command file...

I was able to use the MI1 talkie extractor without any problems. I am running windows 7 x64.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's not possible to play the game in ScummVM with the new music, but is it possible to extract the soundtrack? I can extract all the .wav files with Monkey Island Explorer, but that's too much, I'd like only the main themes (28) as shown by the soundtrack player in the Special Edition. Has anyone written down some kind of mapping or correspondence?

• 2 months later...

I'm just wondering, if there are plans to continue this project and release another update, would it be possible to incorporate ambient tracks to areas without sound, similar to the first MI? I'm aware of the complications with iMuse, but if there's no music going on in a scene, surely that's workable, yes? Some areas of the game (like the intro discussion with Elaine) feel quite empty without sound and something as simple as beach sounds/birds chirping in certain environments would really help. I understand that you guys don't want to add too many changes since the point was to enable the original game with speech, but I think that this kind of change is worthwhile.

EDIT: Just looked through the thread, and this idea has been brought up before :p Still, I believe it's something important that can be done in a new build of the talkie now that pretty much all the dialogue AFAIK has been given voice without any major hiccups.

Archived