Home

Lucas: I'm doing Star Wars in 3d OMGROFL!

Astor

BBC - Lucas to release Star Wars in 3d

A statement on the Star Wars website said: "The cutting edge conversion will take that immersion to the next thrilling level."

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is expected to be released in 2012, with the other films to follow.

I don't think there's an adequate image for the massive facepalm that this is. I still maintain that 3d is a gimmick, and it will only ruin our beloved films even more than they already have been.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just looking forward to the Blu Ray versions, Like yourself Astor, I have no interest in the 3D gimmick.

Wait, you mean you don't consider Blu-Ray to be a gimmick? How... fascinating.

But really, wasn't one round in theatres too much for the prequel trilogy? I mean, I know LucasFilm exists solely to make money, but isn't there such a thing as corporate ethics - ie. not subjecting the human race to more Phantom Menace or *shudder* Attack of the Clones? I thank the Lord I don't have cable, so at least I'll be able to avoid the inevitable and near-continuous "RETURNING TO A THEATRE NEAR YOU" ads.

Wait, you mean you don't consider Blu-Ray to be a gimmick? How... fascinating.[/Quote] yeah, Blu-Ray is as much a gimmick as the DVD was. :rolleyes:

But really, wasn't one round in theatres too much for the prequel trilogy? I mean, I know LucasFilm exists solely to make money, but isn't there such a thing as corporate ethics - ie. not subjecting the human race to more Phantom Menace or *shudder* Attack of the Clones? I thank the Lord I don't have cable, so at least I'll be able to avoid the inevitable and near-continuous "RETURNING TO A THEATRE NEAR YOU" ads.

When did the governments of the world pass laws that made movie attendance mandatory or made remote controls inoperable during commercials?

You do know if these movies are of no interests to you that you do not have to attend them? I’m pretty sure the mandatory attendance laws have not passed.

I have no problem with LucasFilm Ltd wanting to make money, they are a business after all and isn’t that the goal of any for profit business, to make money?

I have no problem with LucasFilm Ltd wanting to make money, they are a business after all and isn’t that the goal of any for profit business, to make money?

How dare you suggest this, mimi?

I, as a fan, have pledged my life and soul to my supreme lord/shogun/master Lucas and am deeply offended by the disregard they show to my endless devotion. To think that an honourable visionary such as Lucas stooped down to mere money-making? Incredulous!

My opinion on 3D is that it's not a gimmick, but rather a technique that has the potential to create immersive, and visually stunning scenes that simply draws the audience into the film if the 3D technique in question is treated with care, and sophisticated means of film-making. Otherwise, a 2D film, that's converted over to 3D, will never reach that level of excitement. In fact, that sort of treatment of 3D will in-fact be gimmicky indeed, and rather a typical, Hollywood sell out (just like Avatar).

I personally think Star Wars is better off without 3D. The original film was, and still is unique in terms of film-making, and I personally believe that the 3D conversation is simply a waste of time, and money. Money, that could be used to create a Battlefront III, KotOR III, or a JediKnight IV.

Not only is it a huge gimmick, but unless something is filmed in 3d, it tends to look less good. I'm not gonna see it, simply because I don't want to see a giant glowing sword of (+9) death flying around in either a slow paced fight or in an over-choreographed fight scene with 20+ lightsabers and 300 droids for each lightsaber on the screen.

Can't do it...won't do it...what I think is hilarious is 3D has been around for over 20 years...and suddenly it's the greatest thing since sliced bread...I'm not shellin out $12 for a movie ticket to see something I can pop into my DVD player and watch in the comfort of my own home minus the 20 year old technology.

Can't do it...won't do it...what I think is hilarious is 3D has been around for over 20 years...and suddenly it's the greatest thing since sliced bread...[/Quote] 3D movies have been around since the 1922. However, they got big in the 1950's and then again in the 1980's.
I'm not shellin out $12 for a movie ticket to see something I can pop into my DVD player and watch in the comfort of my own home minus the 20 year old technology.
Have you seen a 3D movie lately? My guess is you haven't since all you have to do is compare Jaws 3D to Avatar to know it isn't the same technology. There is a world of difference and I am not talking quality of story, but only the quality of the picture.

You can say you don’t want to pay to see Star Wars in 3D, but saying that is 20 year old technology is unfair. I’ve taken family members to a number of 3D movies in recent years and I was going to see the 3D movies in the 1980’s for my own entertainment and I for one can see the difference.

While 3D does not make a crappy movie good, it can enhance a well written movie making it slightly better. I just hope they continue the current trend and release most movies in both formats.

If he really did destroy the OT theatrical negatives I wouldn't feel the least bit bad if somebody shot him in the face.

I concur, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was just LucasSpeak™ for "I don't want the AFI to restore my movie."

GL is full of it, you know.

@Topic:

I don't know about you guys, but I would love a 3D run down the Death Star trench.

OK, I admit that I'd probably pay to see that. Damn you, George! :swear:

Archived