Home

Lucas: I'm doing Star Wars in 3d OMGROFL!

Astor

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Behind this lens screen is a custom-developed LCD (liquid crystal display) panel. Each screen has 8.29 million pixels -- four times the number of pixels in a conventional "full HD" television -- organized into groups of nine pixels of each color. The nine lenses split light from each bank of pixels and send it to nine points in front of the TV

If the viewer sits in one of these sweet spots they get the 3D illusion.

The nine spots should enable several family members to watch a 3D image at the same time.

Similar technology is used in Nintendo's recently announced 3DS handheld gaming device. The 3DS has a screen from Sharp and sends the image to just one spot -- something that isn't a problem with a handheld."

Still a massive drawback if you ask me, so proper 3D tv for home cinema is still much further off than you might think ;)

• 4 weeks later...
So you're saying Star Wars is dead? In a horse-like way?

Never understood that saying....

Well, dead only if rehash something is mortal, heh. It means that something about a certain issue has been done so many times before it's useless. I guess that it means just another gimmick to sell more of the same under a different guise.

Personally while I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, at some point this old coat needs to be hung up and the towel thrown in or it'll lose its dignity.

*brevity*

I agree it is not necessarily a waste of time in and of itself. Also I'm not 100% sure SW needs this kind of treatment here, but would very much like to see a few new games of that sort utilize this.

Besides, sometimes when I watch in 3D, I need a break because I tend to get eye str--

Depending on the person, the 3D effect is a pretty big strain on your eyes and the FACT is that quite a lot of people will start to get eye strain by the end of the movie, and there are warnings that come with 3D TVs that tell you this... so don't go thinking you can pull off a 3D Star Wars marathon ;)

Nevermind.

What Blu-ray (and other HD media formats) has done is allowed movies to be viewed in (relatively) as close to as it would come watching the actual master copy of a movie itself. It also does away with those ye olden video and colour standards NTSC, PAL, SECAM and all that crap.
While true, unfortunately low-end filming as present is still going to take awhile to catch up from that era. As I am learning presently in my videography class. Though it has come quite a ways since even just 10 years ago. Guess even the low end reaches a point of cutoff.

Wait, you mean you don't consider Blu-Ray to be a gimmick? How... fascinating.

Hm, a reader laser of a higher frequency than red to infrared, carrying more data per microsecond, allowing fuller and more vibrant definition of the classic movies and such you already enjoy. No, I'd just call it an improvement of existing disc technology. ;)

I think most cynics just simply want to see Star Wars viewed looking back from the future, with a measure of dignity while most proponents just want to enjoy it again but in a fuller manner.

you people smell of cynicism...

Aw. You say that like it's a bad thing. :p

The reason I refer to Blu-Ray/HD as a "gimmick" is that the technology itself is hardly that much superior to DVD/SD quality on most standard screens;
Well, if it makes you feel any better, when the blu-ray machine finally breaks you can take the laser diode out of it and make yourself an indigo beam laser pointer out of it.

and I don't know about the other ~20 year old students around here, but I don't have $3000+ lying around to shell out for an HD television, nor the extra disposable income to throw away on the Blu-Ray discs <brevity snip>

I do agree it is somewhere around pointless to shell out extra moneys. Still, it's a matter of preference. If they want to spend the money that's their prerogative. Look on the bright side: lower demand for a cheaper alternative means more for us to enjoy!

@ GTA: What do you mean it's going to take a long time for "low-end" films to catch up? You can take 1080p @ 24fps video with home video cameras nowadays and edit it all together on a moderately powerful PC very easily.

Since people are able to create master copies in 1080p, digitally capture them in an uncompressed format and then edit them on their PCs, there really is no limit to what people can do with film nowadays. The only thing they really need is time and effort to do it...

I mean it's going to take a long time (relatively speaking of course) before blu-ray is the average standard and not the higher end, though I do agree it's much easier than having to deal with PAL, NTSC and all those other formats. Granted yes it's only a minor inconvenience, but still just kind of frustrating.

It's been rather a pain jumping from 1997 to 2009 cameras.

The only reason why people like it now is because it's a novelty. I shouldn't like to predict the future but I imagine that its presence will be somewhat diminished given a few years.

Hard to say. You already have the 3DS and 3D phones. Wouldn't be surprised if 3D becomes the UI standard for handheld devices in the future. As for the bigger screen - while one guy who's seen 3D once may not be impressed by it later, there will always be more and more people who haven't seen 3D before and want to see now (which is the principle reason why this 3D fad keeps reappearing every other decade).

The only reason why people like it now is because it's a novelty. I shouldn't like to predict the future but I imagine that its presence will be somewhat diminished given a few years.
I think that is selling it a bit short, IMO. Part of the problem is that sometimes it is done very well (Avatar), or poorly as an afterthought (Clash of the Titans).

I think that is selling it a bit short, IMO. Part of the problem is that sometimes it is done very well (Avatar), or poorly as an afterthought (Clash of the Titans).

Or it's just awesome.

Watch Jackass 3D. Do it now! :thmbup1:

3D - Poo Cocktail Bungee Porto Potty.

I don't see why some of the 'older' folk around here see this as a problem.

It means our beloved franchise will be re-released with new effects. The acting performances stay the same. No canon is raped. The action scenes will just be pumped up to an awesome level.

Plus, a new generation of kids is raised with the original trilogy.

It'll be better then al those "ANNIKON PWNED OBI-WON. ASOKKA IS HWAT" fanboys the prequel trilogy and Clone Wars multi-media madness has created.

I don't see why some of the 'older' folk around here see this as a problem.

in my case, my old eyes can't see 3D films. I'm one of the few percentages of people that the 3D tech doesn't work. Well, other than triggering my migraines ;)

Other than that, imo, the 3D is gimmicky. It's fine for films that were developed for it (again Avatar).. but rehashing old films "just for the sake of 3D" is a pure & simple cash-in. imo of course.

Archived