Home

Because Digital is Obsolete

Black Knight of Keno

Remember from around ten years ago this commercial?

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

"For an entire generation people have experienced Star Wars the only way it's been possible; on the TV screen. But if you've only seen it this way, you haven't seen it at all!"

Well, now it's happening again!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11434545

The entire Star Wars film saga is to be converted into 3D, director George Lucas has announced.

[...]

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is expected to be released in 2012, with the other films to follow.

So basically, in five years we will be sitting in the cinema like suckers, watching a four decade old new film.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 1 is coming out in 2012. I assume ILM has the resources to go an episode per year, especially with Lucas wanting his cash cow to go on milking as fast as possible. So around 2015 we'll be watching Episode 4.

Also, with the rise of the 3D movies and Lucasfilms announcing the re-release of Star Wars in the format, it will gather much more attention from film makers. Other classics will probably be released in 3D as well, the most notable ones hitting the big screens while others will sink to the back of the blu-ray shelves. Either way, by 2015 we will be watching old movies in 3D.

Simon Pegg said the following on Twitter: "Watching TPM in 3D would be like the car actually crashing into your face as opposed to just unfolding before your eyes."

That about sums it up for me ... :[

Yup, no amount of technological turd-polishing could ever fix TPM. The only thing that could is a complete remake.

As a matter of fact, I'd be in favor of a reboot of the entire PT.

Cash cow, of course. George knows he controls the world's biggest franchise and highest-grossing film series of all time. He's going to exploit the **** out of that, as he has been for some time.

It's fairly saddening. Once he realized he was making more money on the toys, he ****ed up the movies by abandoning storyline for toy-promotion.

As a SW geek I can't turn my back on any of the movies, but I must say - the PT series is SO bad compared to the OT. And that TCW film he released was an embarrassment.

EU is so much better than his garbage. CW cartoon series were phenomenal. Non-CW SW video games were the best. Everything now is so ****ty, and so transparent in an attempt to make more money that it's kind of disgusting.

Above rant and all, I WILL still go to see all six in 3D. I loved Avatar in 3D. I doubt SW in 3D will be as good since they weren't filmed for 3D, but I am curious nonetheless.

Also, AT-AT stomping down right next to you? ISD whizzing by shooting its turbolasers? Count me in!

- PR-0927

Cash cow, of course. George knows he controls the world's biggest franchise and highest-grossing film series of all time. He's going to exploit the **** out of that, as he has been for some time.

Since TESB. I don't understand why people complaint about the "cash-cow" when most of them have been feeding it ever since...

I can see the good, and the horribly wrong, in all of this. I think I'll dodge TPM and AoC, though. There ain't enough special effects in the world to watch me watch that **** again...cept maybe Yoda's fight scene. That'd be pretty cool in 3D.

I remember that...return to theaters... And that I only saw ANH remade.

Meh. It's ok.

From time to time I still watch my digitally remastered originals on VHS, you know, the ones with Leonard Maltin interviewing uncle George at the beginning of each episode? Yeah. The ones before the remake. If only because the original home recorded VHS tapes from HBO 20+ years ago has degraded too far to use.

My initial reaction to hearing this news (as posted as a response to a friend's Facebook status...):

"What happened to George Lucas? Can't he come up with anything new to work on?

The guy gave us Star wars and Indiana Jones... it's not exactly like he's a no talent, no vision hack.

But ENOUGH ALREADY!!! Stop mining the past!!!

I LOVE SW and Indy as much, if not more, than the next geeky dweeb... BUT PLEASE GEORGE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO SOMETHING NEW AND DIFFERENT!!! Take a chance for crying out loud!"

• 3 weeks later...

Do you people really think that he would release the saga in theaters and converted in 3D if there was no interest? Why do you complain? Don't like it, don't watch it. Is like the argument of "stop milking the cow". If people still drink it's milk and like it, why should he stop?

Archived