Home

Because Digital is Obsolete

Black Knight of Keno

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Care to explain?

Every time George creates a new movie, or television series, or card game, or comic book, the old fans have to deal with a surge of young, stupid newbloods who understand nothing of the Star Wars lore we've grown to love. For instance, many children these days probably believe the Mandalorians were pacifists. For the dignity of the original epic, many of us want to remember Star Wars as it was when it first confounded the boundaries of our imagination instead of simply numbing our thought processes with visual effect.

^^^Good example.

Care to explain?

Ok...suppose you're a producer/writer/creator of something fantastic. Sure I understand you'd want to expand upon it to make it as memorable and profitable as you possibly could. Also you're doing it because, it's you. (Passion, fun, fulfillment, bucket list, you get the picture.)

Remember when your econ teacher taught you the principle of diminishing marginal returns? Applied to this: there is some definite point where these things start acting against one another and it wears out. After which the originality quickly gets to be as dead as roadkill.

In the long run, you actually do more of a disservice to your creation in how it will be perceived looking back from the future. Can you honestly say Uncle George isn't driving it into the ground whenever you see another clone wars released, or another game that ultimately becomes sub-par and "not as good as it could/should/would be"?

Some similar examples are football players or dare I say pro wrestlers who refuse to 'hang it up' and get out while the getting is still good.

Every time George creates a new movie, or television series, or card game, or comic book, the old fans have to deal with a surge of young, stupid newbloods who understand nothing of the Star Wars lore we've grown to love.

Are they to blame? Weren't you a "young, stupid newblood" once? Just because someone grew with Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul etc, does it mean they don't understand Darth Vader, Luke or Han?! That's just a poor excuse, if you ask me.

For instance, many children these days probably believe the Mandalorians were pacifists.

So what? Many believed Palpatine was dead at the end of RotJ, but he isn't.

For the dignity of the original epic, many of us want to remember Star Wars as it was when it first confounded the boundaries of our imagination instead of simply numbing our thought processes with visual effect.

Then remember it as it was. The solution is simple: Don't watch the new versions.

So what? Many believed Palpatine was dead at the end of RotJ, but he isn't.

ROFL. You do realize that this particular direction of story is generally hated by most EU authors? In fact, certain books even snub that entire story, in-book, and help to discredit/de-canonize it. And pretty much most EU fans regard that as garbage. Bad example.

I get the feeling you're one of those who think the PT is as good as, or better than, the OT. Please prove this feeling wrong.

- PR-0927

ROFL. You do realize that this particular direction of story is generally hated by most EU authors? In fact, certain books even snub that entire story, in-book, and help to discredit/de-canonize it. And pretty much most EU fans regard that as garbage. Bad example.

Boba Fett then. Back from the dead.

I get the feeling you're one of those who think the PT is as good as, or better than, the OT.

And your feeling is based on what?

^Because you seem to like the EU, and 90%+ of the EU is the same level of crap (or worse) as the PT.

And where did you got the idea that I like the EU? It wasn't me who brought up the Mandalorians issue. I don't like Palpatine clones any more than you do, or most of Karen Traviss stuff.

And to clarify any more assumptions about me, I'm not an EU expert or die hard fan of it. I have a couple of novels and many books (most of them are visual dictionaries and guides) and videogames, and I own some of the TV series. And I do like the PT, even though I prefer the OT. Sorry to dissapoint any haters.

^Because you seem to like the EU, and 90%+ of the EU is the same level of crap (or worse) as the PT.

I'm going to be honest. I ****ing love the EU. If it weren't for EU, my love of SW would be severely diminished.

But I was getting the feeling that he liked the PT more than the OT because he seemed to be justifying George Lucas' recent cash grabs.

And umm, Boba Fett surviving FTW! Seriously. I love the stories about him in post-RotJ EU.

Karen Traviss made one blunder - killing off a widely-beloved character in the Legacy of the Force series. Her other stuff I could deal with, and somewhat liked. This was unforgivable.

- PR-0927

But I was getting the feeling that he liked the PT more than the OT because he seemed to be justifying George Lucas' recent cash grabs.

What I don't understand is how does this upsets people? Why do you think he releases and re-releases the movies (now in 3D)? Because people want it, and are willing to pay for it. Is he to blame? It's as I said before, why do people complaint about George milking the cash cow if people like it's milk? People have different tastes, all we have to do is to deal with it.

What I don't understand is how does this upsets people? Why do you think he releases and re-releases the movies (now in 3D)? Because people want it, and are willing to pay for it. Is he to blame? It's as I said before, why do people complaint about George milking the cash cow if people like it's milk? People have different tastes, all we have to do is to deal with it.

People have a problem with it because it often results in him creating new things of poor quality or reducing the quality of existing things, in order to maximize profit on potential toy and paraphernalia sales.

In fact, his obsession with toy sales is one of the primary reasons the movies started decreasing in quality after ESB (although I personally loved RotJ). He found he was making more money on toys than the movies, and decided to focus on movies with easily-exploitable characters/vehicles for toys, rather than a solid story. This was the problem with the PT and all this Clone Wars nonsense. Low-quality goods.

As someone above commented - it's about diminishing returns as well.

- PR-0927

People have a problem with it because it often results in him creating new things of poor quality or reducing the quality of existing things, in order to maximize profit on potential toy and paraphernalia sales.

Are you saying that a movie with a good story doesn't sell as much toys as a movie with a poor story? And who defines quality?

In fact, his obsession with toy sales is one of the primary reasons the movies started decreasing in quality after ESB (although I personally loved RotJ). He found he was making more money on toys than the movies, and decided to focus on movies with easily-exploitable characters/vehicles for toys, rather than a solid story.

No. "movies with easily-exploitable characters/vehicles for toys" can be applied to any Star Wars movie. That's not a good excuse. The story of the prequels could never have the same feeling as the OT, no matter how good it was done. The story hasn't the same formula, since it's not about a hero and his companions (story that brings a closer proximity to the audience).

This was the problem with the PT and all this Clone Wars nonsense. Low-quality goods.

Low-quality is subjective. The OT is not without it's faults, and the PT has it's virtues. As for the "Clone Wars nonsense", have you seen the series at all? How much they've progressed ever since the theatrical movie?

Are you saying that a movie with a good story doesn't sell as much toys as a movie with a poor story? And who defines quality?

Not necessarily, but a focus on toy-production will always help. Read up on Gary Kurtz's comments on all this. It brings an interesting perspective. George Lucas made it a profit-loss situation more than anything, which is deeply saddening.

Quality is defined by, for SW, the classic SW fans, who loved SW before the PT, IMO. It's subjective, but there is objectivity in it as well. OT definitely trumped PT in quality of story and character connection.

No. "movies with easily-exploitable characters/vehicles for toys" can be applied to any Star Wars movie. That's not a good excuse. The story of the prequels could never have the same feeling as the OT, no matter how good it was done. The story hasn't the same formula, since it's not about a hero and his companions (story that brings a closer proximity to the audience).

I again point to Gary Kurtz. And saying that the PT "could never have the same feeling as the OT" is REALLY a what-if scenario - no one can adequately discern this. Your statement is unnecessarily definitive.

Low-quality is subjective. The OT is not without it's faults, and the PT has it's virtues. As for the "Clone Wars nonsense", have you seen the series at all? How much they've progressed ever since the theatrical movie?

No one said the OT was superior in every regard. I certainly don't think so. But overall, it is. As for CW stuff - I LOVED the cartoons, which were NOT directed by Lucas (thank God). The CG movie was an embarrassment to SW fans everywhere. I've heard the new CG shows are pretty decent, and do intend to watch them. But this isn't where it stops - the milking of CW nonsense has permeated video games to a sickening degree - LucasArts is basically one of the ****tiest gaming companies around, which has been exacerbated by the horrid CW-themed games (SWRC is an exception to this). And the EU books dealing with the CW tend to pale in comparison to other-era EU books.

I'm going to repeat myself. The Mandalorians have been made... PACIFISTS.

To be fair that's only a sect of Mandalorians. That being said, I bet a lot of people won't get that.

- PR-0927

but there is objectivity in it as well. OT definitely trumped PT in quality of story and character connection.

Character connection, yes. As for story, they are too different. But the question remains. Just because the OT has more quality (whatever that means) than the PT, does it mean the PT has no quality?

No one said the OT was superior in every regard. I certainly don't think so. But overall, it is. As for CW stuff - I LOVED the cartoons, which were NOT directed by Lucas (thank God). The CG movie was an embarrassment to SW fans everywhere. I've heard the new CG shows are pretty decent, and do intend to watch them. But this isn't where it stops - the milking of CW nonsense has permeated video games to a sickening degree - LucasArts is basically one of the ****tiest gaming companies around, which has been exacerbated by the horrid CW-themed games (SWRC is an exception to this).

I'm not sure how the theme of a game is the problem. There has been what lately? Three Clone Wars themed games? One of them was fairly well received. The other two, not so much. Then there was TFU which was fairly well received too, and TFUII, which was what everyone can see. The problem is quality control. Be it a Clone Wars game, or the next Jedi Knight.

To be fair that's only a sect of Mandalorians. That being said, I bet a lot of people won't get that.

Yes, forgot to say that. The pacifist is just one of the factions.

Just because the OT has more quality (whatever that means) than the PT, does it mean the PT has no quality?

Never said they had NO quality. Just reduced quality.

I'm not sure how the theme of a game is the problem. There has been what lately? Three Clone Wars themed games? One of them was fairly well received. The other two, not so much. Then there was TFU which was fairly well received too, and TFUII, which was what everyone can see. The problem is quality control. Be it a Clone Wars game, or the next Jedi Knight.

Well, to be honest the theme of the game matters because it drives the story - and as we've already discussed here, most "classic" SW fans tend to take OT-related stuff as better in story (including myself). Quality control is indeed an issue.

- PR-0927

=To be fair that's only a sect of Mandalorians. That being said, I bet a lot of people won't get that.

Yeah but weren't they like the main sect that's supposed to have won out? Besides, Mandalorians are not pacifists, period. They're not a race of people, they're an ideal. Mandalorians were supposed to be the best of the best trained warriors. They embraced war and tempered their very beings in battle. To call the pacifists Mandalorians is like calling someone who doesn't believe in the Force a Jedi. Or a Sith Lord who doesn't use the dark side.

Archived