Home

Life supporting planet

Ping

Well, even if they manage to go to that planet, I don't think that 90 years will be enough, I don't think they're going to send anyone until a long moment, to we add 20 years of travel, and they would probably die... since I don't think there would be a way for them to return, and I don't think they will have enough food for a life time. Imagine that they were able to communicate us that we can live on this planet, it would happen like 20 years after, so the time to make a big expedition, to conquer this planet, would take quite a long once more, so personally I don't think it could happen before... a lot more xD Maybe something like 2150 would be more reasonable.

This is CNN's science reporting? It sounds like a 4th grader's book report.

"The chances of quote-mining in this article are 100%, I have almost no doubt about it"

Wake me when spectroscopy shows an atmosphere with oxygen, carbon dioxide, and methane in it.

I suspect that colonization of far-off planets will only occur if robotics technology has progressed to the point that we can automate initial set-up. (This is assuming the necessary advancements in travel tech are made, since the whole point is moot if we can't reach these places.)

If we had the right propulsion tech (be it achieving very high speeds, or some sort of warp thing that may or may not even be possible), good enough robotics, and preferably some sort of cryosleep, colonization would be easily achievable. In other words, I doubt it's going to happen any time soon (Though in a mere 58 years, we went from the Wright Flyer to putting a man in space, so who knows).

What I would find intriguing is the possibility that a manned colonization mission could be sent out, but overtaken on the way by a much later effort with improved propulsion. For the original batch of colonists, on arrival to their new home, it would seem as if time travel had occurred. Extrasolar colonies would make communication very interesting.

If we had the right propulsion tech (be it achieving very high speeds, or some sort of warp thing that may or may not even be possible), good enough robotics, and preferably some sort of cryosleep, colonization would be easily achievable. In other words, I doubt it's going to happen any time soon (Though in a mere 58 years, we went from the Wright Flyer to putting a man in space, so who knows).

The next closest star (meaning the closest one that isn't also the one we currently orbit) is so far away that newborn would not be able to reach it in their lifetime, based on current technology or what we even consider to be feasible.

Yes, amazing advances do occur, but the Wright Brothers were up against technology, not physics. We know that all sorts of things can fly; the trick was trying to figure out how to make US fly. What we're talking about here is something completely different.

Space travel to far off planets, even the ones in our own solar system, is currently not feasible. This Solar system is huge, but in reality it is just a speck of nothingness compared to the scope of the universe. until humans are able to put themselves in cryostasis in order to stave off the aging effects that would kill them en-route (presently, any expedition even to fly by Jupiter by a manned craft would result in imminent death) In order to explore our own solar system properly, much less the galaxy proper, would require a form of cryostasis and a method to increase fuel capacity in spaceships while reducing fuel consumption

Space travel to far off planets, even the ones in our own solar system, is currently not feasible.

Travel to other planets in our system is feasible with current tech. Travel to other stars is also possible; it would just require a long time and a huge ship containing a biosphere.

Travel to other planets in our system is feasible with current tech. Travel to other stars is also possible; it would just require a long time and a huge ship containing a biosphere.

well you have to also factor in the fuel requirement (it takes gigantic tanks just to get to the ISS and back) and the age effect. Jupiter is actual light years away. you'd age incredibly fast if you werent in cryostasis. no astronauts would make it back alive

We'd also need transforming jets that fly in space to protect us against any giant sized humanoid races that lack culture and only know warfare... you know, just in case.

If someone takes a look at the serious discussion (not the other type) about the challenges involved just getting to freakin' MARS, I think it's pretty obvious that ANY discussion about visiting other solar systems is getting way, WAY ahead of ourselves.

We'd also need transforming jets that fly in space to protect us against any giant sized humanoid races that lack culture and only know warfare... you know, just in case.
You should also make sure to take a few colonists that can sing pretty well... just in case.

Jupiter is still extremely far away. I mean it takes gigantic tanks of fuel just to get to the International Space Station and back. Heck, it takes quite a few gallons just to launch the shuttles. Seriously, though, space travel is still in its early stages. As Achilles stated, the difficulty in getting to mars makes traveling to other galaxies impossible at least for now. it won't be in any of our lifetimes; (that is, unless someone pulls a sheldon cooper and transfers his conciousness into a robotic body, but I digress) until the entire earth can come together and collectively work on a space project (more extensive then the ISS, a globe-spanning combined effort) humans will likely be stranded on this planet called "Earth."

Archived