Home

The happiest moment of your Adventure Gaming Life

Hellbeard

Growing up in the 90s, I got to watch my older brother play all sorts of sierra and LEC adventure games, ranging from Kings Quest to Loom to even Freddy Pharkis Frontier Pharmacist. I never played the games until a few years later mind you, however I still managed to become obsessed with Monkey Island.

Anyways, by the time 1997 rolled around, I had played through and loved Monkey Island 1 and 2 on my own, and eagerly anticipated the release of the Curse of Monkey Island, and the glorious return of Guybrush Threepwood. I wanted the game so badly for Christmas but my two older brothers convinced me that it would not be released until the New Year.

Now by this time in my life, I had accepted that Santa Clause did not exist, and I had accepted that I would have to wait until my Birthday to play MI3. But on Christmas morning, there was one last gift for me to open, written as being from Santa Clause. I opened it, only to be so overwhelmingly shocked to see Curse of Monkey Island. I was so convinced that the game was not released yet, that I truly believed that Santa Clause was the only one who could have possibly gotten me the game. Thats right, The Curse of Monkey Island made me believe in Santa Clause Again.

Now in retrospect, I realize that it was all a big ruse to get me excited, but that Christmas Night, when I booted up The Curse of Monkey Island and heard the first spoken words of Guybrush Threepwood, that was The Happiest Moment of my Adventure Gaming Life.

So, whats yours?

My happiest moment was picking up, and subsequently discovering, the LucasArts archives vol. 1 in middle school back in 1995.

For ages my family had only had an ancient 1983-era IBM compatible PC, and I remember having been blown away when a second cousin showed me DOTT on his shiny new CD-ROM. A good friend of mine had brought his copy of Sam & Max on a school trip the previous year so we could listen to "King of the Creatures," but beyond that I didn't really know what it was about. My Adventure gaming experience up until this point had been suffering through (but enjoying) those sadistic King's Quest games.

Then in 8th grade, shortly after we inherited a snazzy 486 with a CD-ROM drive from my uncle, I happened upon the LucasArts archive pack in the store. I recalled how impressive DOTT had looked, and had a vague interest in Sam & Max, and the other games looked kind of interesting. The price was right, and I snapped it up.

Within the day of getting it, I knew I had something special. The humor, the graphics, the voices, the writing, the lack of sadistic deaths and sticking points...I was in love. I was amazed at how much sheer enjoyment these game elicited. Not only were they more fun and technically impressive than the games on my older computer, but totally blew away anything else I'd tried playing on the new CD-ROM, including the much-hyped King's Quest 6 I had bought earlier and never finished.

I never looked back. After playing through all the games in the set, I ordered the Classic Adventures pack from my copy of the adventurer (Monkey Island! WOW!), and set about voraciously following and snapping up anything LucasArts put out (The Dig! CMI! Grim Fandango!). They were consistently impressive, and I was amazed at just how much quality and consistency the games had, and how they seemed to have read my mind and produced something that was perfectly suited to my tastes, yet unlike anything I'd really played before.

But those later games were games I went into knowing I'd enjoy. I'll always remember the first time I booted DOOT.EXE, SAM.EXE, and FATE.EXE, not entirely knowing what to expect, and discovering something I really loved.

I have two which i cant narrow down.

1) Early 1997, we had the internet but my brother would be on it all day and night, so i would get a chance to go on about 1am when he went to bed!

He would wake me up and say 'okay you can use it now". I remember I used to scour the net for anything lucasarts/ particularly monkey island. On visiting lucasarts.com and looking at their games list, my jaw dropped and I had to rub my eyes..... "Curse of Monkey Island????" *heart beat increases* " Curse of monkey island!?" There hasn't been a game since 1992..... I couldn't believe what i was reading, and then downloading the trailer - that was joy!

2) First playing Monkey Island 2. One of the best adventure gaming experiences ever, and knowing how rare and awesome it was, I wanted to ration it. I wanted the experience to last. But like some sort of junkie, I was addicted and I fondly remember when home sick from school, sneaking out of bed to go play it.

The announcement of Tales of Monkey Island' made me extremely happy and excited! I was over the moon when that was announced! I couldn't contain myself.

This. I was so excited I couldn't work - jut spent the day joining the buzz on all the forums and spreading the word.

Archived