Home

Mod and Character Build Questions

Drakmyth

Hello all.

It's been a long time since I've played through KOTOR and I got the sudden desire to fire it back up. Before doing so however, I wanted to see if there had been any developments as far as mods went. After a while of bouncing around various sites I find myself here. I skimmed through the forums, but it doesn't look like there is any kind of a central repository for mods (in the spirit of the Nexus sites. The one for Fallout 3 can be found here and the others can be found by clicking the favicons in the upper right corner of that page.)

1.) I thought, since I have a couple other questions to ask anyway, that I might ask for your help discovering mods too. I'm wondering if there are any "unofficial patch" mods, and by that I mean mods that work to fix bugs and balancing issues as much as possible while changing as little as possible. Also, any hi-resolution texture mods. I'm not looking for ones that change character, armor, or weapon appearance, except by increasing visual quality that is.

2.) I seem to recall there being a bug with the Bastila romance line that if you took the plotline so far but then talked to her again it would (due to a bug) cancel the romance entirely. Skimming through the forums I couldn't find anything acknowledging that bug though. Does this bug exist or am I just remembering incorrectly? If it does exist, is there a mod that fixes this and only this (or if such a fix is rolled into an "unofficial patch" mod that works too)? I know about the "better romance scene" mod, but that goes beyond what I would like changed (assuming it even fixes the bug anyway).

3.) Taking a break from mods, one of the things I always toyed with the idea of doing, but never got around to actually trying was a solo run. Unfortunately, even with my team there my character has always been far too weak to attempt such a thing. I suspect it's because I've always had a difficult time understanding how many points to put in what stats and how much of an impact they make. Is there a build (I assume it would be soldier/guardian) that makes you just disgustingly powerful to the point of making a full game solo run (except where team members are necessary) possible?

Thanks for the help guys and I apologize if I'm coming off as an extreme n00b here.

I skimmed through the forums, but it doesn't look like there is any kind of a central repository for mods
Well, there is Taris Upper City Emporium, which is where new mods are announced (which to this date is still pretty active). I'd keep an eye out to the Mod of the Year contestants, they're usually th best stuff, though some jewels are never picked.

1.) I thought, since I have a couple other questions to ask anyway, that I might ask for your help discovering mods too. I'm wondering if there are any "unofficial patch" mods, and by that I mean mods that work to fix bugs and balancing issues as much as possible while changing as little as possible. Also, any hi-resolution texture mods. I'm not looking for ones that change character, armor, or weapon appearance, except by increasing visual quality that is.

There is no reference unofficial patch that I can think of for KotOR, since, the official stuff covers it nicely. For The Sith Lords things are a bit different, but that's not what you're asking.

As for hi-res textures, maybe you should try looking into Xarwarz's Visual Enhancement Mod 2011, which you can download the re-textures individually for each place. I have yet to try this new version but it looks sweet.

2.) I seem to recall there being a bug with the Bastila romance line that if you took the plotline so far but then talked to her again it would (due to a bug) cancel the romance entirely. Skimming through the forums I couldn't find anything acknowledging that bug though. Does this bug exist or am I just remembering incorrectly? If it does exist, is there a mod that fixes this and only this (or if such a fix is rolled into an "unofficial patch" mod that works too)? I know about the "better romance scene" mod, but that goes beyond what I would like changed (assuming it even fixes the bug anyway).
There is such a bug after you "kiss" Bastila and the screen goes black. However, this has never happened to me and I have the impression it's not a common mishap. So, I'm sorry if I can't provide you with any links, since I never download a fix for that.

3.) Taking a break from mods, one of the things I always toyed with the idea of doing, but never got around to actually trying was a solo run. Unfortunately, even with my team there my character has always been far too weak to attempt such a thing. I suspect it's because I've always had a difficult time understanding how many points to put in what stats and how much of an impact they make. Is there a build (I assume it would be soldier/guardian) that makes you just disgustingly powerful to the point of making a full game solo run (except where team members are necessary) possible?
Never even thought about it, honestly. But Soldier/Guardian all the way if you really wanna do this. It's basically the two tank classes combined. While, in TSL, all you need to do is master Force Powers that damage muliple targets as a Sith Lord/Jedi Master, and you can essentially kill everything in your way. For K1, mastering most melee weapon/lightsaber feats, Master Flurry, dual-wield and acquiring said Force Powers should make your task easier.

Thanks for the help guys and I apologize if I'm coming off as an extreme n00b here.

No reason to, you do sound like you know what you're talking about.

Well, there is Taris Upper City Emporium, which is where new mods are announced (which to this date is still pretty active). I'd keep an eye out to the Mod of the Year contestants, they're usually th best stuff, though some jewels are never picked.

Yeah, I went through every page in that section of the forum and found some pretty nice things. I saw the Visual Enhancement mod 2009 in there too (the 2011 one is only for TSL I think, and I don't have TSL yet). Most of the mods in there aren't tagged though. Between that and there seeming to be mods on the filefront page that aren't in that forum, I was just wondering if there was some easily searchable central repository with EVERYTHING that I just hadn't come across yet. I guess not though.

There is no reference unofficial patch that I can think of for KotOR, since, the official stuff covers it nicely. For The Sith Lords things are a bit different, but that's not what you're asking.

That's cool. I just noticed the animation fix, romance fix, and occasional armor/texture fix threads and got the impression there were a good number of bugs that had never been fixed.

There is such a bug after you "kiss" Bastila and the screen goes black. However, this has never happened to me and I have the impression it's not a common mishap. So, I'm sorry if I can't provide you with any links, since I never download a fix for that.

So the bug may or may not happen? Interesting.

Never even thought about it, honestly. But Soldier/Guardian all the way if you really wanna do this. It's basically the two tank classes combined. While, in TSL, all you need to do is master Force Powers that damage muliple targets as a Sith Lord/Jedi Master, and you can essentially kill everything in your way. For K1, mastering most melee weapon/lightsaber feats, Master Flurry, dual-wield and acquiring said Force Powers should make your task easier.

Thanks!

No reason to, you do sound like you know what you're talking about.

I'm always a little worried when making my first post on a new forum. There always seem to be things that everyone knows but are difficult to find out if you're a newcomer, and people then get annoyed if you ask about them.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I went through every page in that section of the forum and found some pretty nice things. I saw the Visual Enhancement mod 2009 in there too (the 2011 one is only for TSL I think, and I don't have TSL yet). Most of the mods in there aren't tagged though. Between that and there seeming to be mods on the filefront page that aren't in that forum, I was just wondering if there was some easily searchable central repository with EVERYTHING that I just hadn't come across yet. I guess not though.
Yeah, but perhaps Filefront is a better place to look for mods, although I usually follow thread at Lucasforums before downloading.

And my bad. Totally forgot VE was TSL-only. Still, there are a lot of new texturing done (in fact, there are mods with areas done entirely from scratch. Look for Quanon and Silveredge9's amazing works).

That's cool. I just noticed the animation fix, romance fix, and occasional armor/texture fix threads and got the impression there were a good number of bugs that had never been fixed.
Just a bunch of small fixes here and there. All in all, and for nowadays standard, KotOR is not really a buggy game.

Thanks!

I'm always a little worried when making my first post on a new forum. There always seem to be things that everyone knows but are difficult to find out if you're a newcomer, and people then get annoyed if you ask about them.

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome. And I feel you, but you said you looked for them so there's really no harm in asking. :thmbup1:

Probably the least noobish first post I have ever seen! Shoulda seen mine... and I was a grown man when I made it :ugh:

As for "soloing" the game, you can definitely do it in either game, especially TSL. In KotOR, I would do as C-A-D advised and consider Soldier/Guardian.

Of course, after playing the game so many times, I assume that Revan should be much stronger than he is in the vanilla game, so I use KSE to amp his stats to what I feel are appropriate for a Force User of his level, especially cranking up his intelligence (what he's renowned for). This tends to make him a tank from get-go... so that is the easy way!!!

Archived