Home

SW:TOR Novels thread [spoilers warning]

Darth Avlectus

I figured I might as well put my piece into this section of the subforum.

Just trying to liven it up around here a little, I guess.

So, it's no secret by now that novels for the upcoming MMO are being released. This thread is to discuss any written works of this period in the SW universe timelines. [/captain obvious]

Currently we have Fatal alliance out now, and Deceived on the horizon for whenever BioWare releases the MMO, presently spring 2011.

Not to worry just yet, there are no spoilers from me just yet as I do not have any novels yet. However I expect this thread to contain spoilers if it takes off.

I am currently hunting down Fatal Alliance at my bookstore. I'll probably have to get on a waiting list for the next shipment. Every time they get it on the shelves now, it entirely disappears within a few days. So interest in the game is definitely alive and well, despite fans' reservations about it being an MMO. I will also get "Deceived" when it is released as well.

Has anybody here bought and read Fatal alliance as yet? Anybody else watching for other novels to be released? Please, do share your experiences.

What was it like? Good? Bad? Disappointing? Satisfying? Just "Eh"?

Does it compare to other SW novels? Would you recommend it?

• 3 weeks later...

I finished Fatal Alliance, but actually listened to the unabridged audiobook instead of reading the novel. I liked it ok (about average for a SW novel, I suppose). There were some interesting characters but others annoyed me as being too cliche, or even corny.

Perhaps it was the audio rendition that biased me - the way the reader interprets the character can influence the listener.

I wanted to know more about the mother and clone also... that part of the story was built up throughout the entire book only to end very quickly... (ROTS anyone?)

Yea I've been trying to Listen to the Audiobook version ( I get all my SW Novels in Audio format to listen to at work/Gym) and, silly as it sounds, Because the Narrator is the same Guy who reads the Legacy era Novels, it kinda pulls me out of it, and it doesn't feel like the Old Republic era lol.

The audio rendition of Jet Nebula's character bothered me.

I also get all of my SW novels in audiobook form (I've read maybe 15 in paperback and the rest in audiobook). I have a long commute to work so it helps kill the time. Right now I'm actually listening to A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. I read the paperbacks a few years back (the 4 that currently exist) and decided to refresh on the audiobooks since the HBO series is imminent.

Archived