Home

Wow...Some Pretty Bad Reviews

PR-0927

To mirror other views that LA aren't listening to there "fan base", you know "some people loved SWG until the CU/NGE, and some people Loved KotOR, so what we've done is mixed them together, and decided that the aforementioned titles will live on as this hybrid, the end"... Thats not the answer, some people like Marmite on there bread some people like Jam, doesn't mean I wont Vomit if you gave me a Marmite & jam sandwich.

Same with this, "We'd love another JK LA!" "Yea, well we wanna take Star Wars in a new direction and make the year preceding ANH seem like the future, plus were gonna make some overpowered Gary Stu and make him a God among Jedi, and the game will have very little substance"... "he he, dont all ask for my autograph at once"... k...

Not saying that I'm not looking forward to tOR and TFU II, its just I'd prefer JK and KotOR.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darth Vader has been captured by the Rebel Alliance! You have to resolve that. If not, I guess the story could be wrapped up in another novel or comic, but it just wouldn't be the same. I don't want another Knights of the Old Republic dilemma.

WTF?

I would say 'I hope whoever came up with that cluster**** of an ending gets fired', but we already know that's happened.

JO and JA are not hack and slash games.
I know that. My point is that once upon a time game play was moving forwards and expanding on what came previously. JO was stronger gameplay-wise than JK. K2 had more options than K1. X-Wing Alliance provided a broader scope than X-Wing.

TFU series is a step backwards in scope from what came before. It really feels largely like a tech demo. I mean in JO you had to learn how to use moves and the styles effectively. In X-Wing you had to manage your shields, engines, and weapon power. KOTOR you could jump into battle or work from the shadows. Players learned to be effective in different ways. With TFUII it has been watered down to saber for this enemy, force lightning for this enemy... Or worse "Press Y now!"

Personally, if they are going to make me press a button to watching a cutscene, I'd rather press the play button and watch the cinematic trailers.

Again, I wonder if a lot of this isn't due to people's expectations being unreasonable, if only slightly. I mean, considering the premise of the story, did anyone seriously not think it wouldn't be cheesy? And given that, isn't it possible to simply enjoy the game for being fun to play, not because it's got a great story? That's the mentality I had when going into it anyway.

Absolutely not unreasonable expectations. If a company hypes a game this much, it better be epic.

And no, it's not possible to enjoy this game, because the story isn't the only thing that blows. It's just disgustingly bad in gameplay. It's BORING as hell.

- PR-0927

Graphics and gameplay were amazing. The details of the landscape were some of the best I have seen.

I think every dev that is not doing a MP should at least have a 10 hr story. I could care less about challenges. Surely they could have added a couple of hrs to the story and dropped the challenges. Save the challenges for DLC. $80 for a 5-6hr story and a thumbdrive is a rip off. Steel case rocks though

I wish Lucas arts and the big dog Lucas would stop making everything into a love story. Its just so cheesy from this story to the dreaded last movie where they made Vader to be a sissy. There is a war going on and all Starkiller can think about is getting his pecker wet. I thought Jedi had mind control. I guess Starkiller didn't.

Graphics and gameplay were amazing. The details of the landscape were some of the best I have seen.

I think every dev that is not doing a MP should at least have a 10 hr story. I could care less about challenges. Surely they could have added a couple of hrs to the story and dropped the challenges. Save the challenges for DLC. $80 for a 5-6hr story and a thumbdrive is a rip off. Steel case rocks though

I wish Lucas arts and the big dog Lucas would stop making everything into a love story. Its just so cheesy from this story to the dreaded last movie where they made Vader to be a sissy. There is a war going on and all Starkiller can think about is getting his pecker wet. I thought Jedi had mind control. I guess Starkiller didn't.

LOL troll. Or noob. First post, and it's of all things, in favor of a pile of dog ****.

- PR-0927

Not trying to get in another argument with PR-0927, hopefully I resolved that in the other thread, but I just wanna say that I enjoyed the story to TFU1 and also enjoyed the story for TFU2. Sure, they're over-the-top and perhaps a little too much considering it does take place a year before ANH, I really did enjoy both stories, and I think they should really reconsider and make a TFUIII so that they can try and somewhat make up for what it lacked(to those who complained)and really close up the story.

Yes, yes, I know what you all are thinking. "Screw that the game sucks/the story sucks/haden blackman sucks/julio torres sucks." But think of it, maybe, just maybe, after they get TFUIII done and out of the way, the people who enjoy those games will have their wish, and then maybe when they're not worrying about TFU anymore(and by that time TOR will be out probably), they can think about coming back to the oldies but goodies.

Once TFU is complete, like I said hopefully after they make a TFUIII, they can't just rely on Clone Wars games for the rest of their days, they would have no choice but to choose a series to bring back to life.

EDIT: Just a question, kind of off-topic, but can we all agree that the soundtrack for TFU2 was pretty good?

Music was good, yeah. TFU III likely won't happen, with the news I read. Hopefully it won't.

Over-the-top stories are much more sane than TFU II's. I want good stories! None of this DragonBallZ-esque Force powers meets a storyline hemorrhage of Twilight meets Howard the Duck.

- PR-0927

I want TFUIII so that the story can be properly closed because the cliffhanger TFUII left is bigger than KotOR2's by a lot. Sure, K2 left behind a cliffhanger that left us waiting for a K3 but it wasn't done so deliberately like TFUII's was.

It's just like "Okay, TFUII, Vader gets captured, Starkiller and Juno are still alive...GAPPPPPP...then ANH, Vader's choking Captain Antilles(right?) asking where the rebel base is or whatever, so Vader's fine, and Starkiller and Juno must be dead...but how?"

That gap should be filled and filled well, that is, if Juilo Torres or Haden Blackman don't wanna tied to their beds and beaten with soap-filled socks like Full Metal Jacket.

I'll be waiting to for TFU II to fall to below $20 before I think about picking it up. Just like I'm now thinking about getting around to picking up TFU I. The last two Star Wars games I enjoyed was JO and JA. The Star Wars universe has gone downhill the last 5 years. I also don't care about the Clone Wars animated crap.

IThat gap should be filled and filled well, that is, if Juilo Torres or Haden Blackman don't wanna tied to their beds and beaten with soap-filled socks like Full Metal Jacket.

I genuinely don't think that anyone will care enough about such a ****ty story and game series to harass these folks.

- PR-0927

TFUII caused me to register an account.

I thought I should add my two cents, in case LA keeps tabs on community feedback (I'm posting this on the official forums too).

I want to make a clarification - as far as I'm concerned, TFUII is not a HORRIBLE piece of content to play. In fact, having spent $80 on it (collector's), I've tried to make the best of it, because of the money I spent.

There have been some interesting set pieces (although few and far between, which makes me cry a little inside considering how short the game is).

The fight vs. the Gorog & Freefalling were the highlights.

But that's pretty much it - I guess dual wielding is satisfying, although it is cosmetic only.

However, notice I said content earlier - it would've made a great expansion or budget release to complement the first game.

I don't care what the story is, LA. I don't care if you fired your entire team.

You hype a game like this, you expect your fan base to purchase your products, then you HIRE A NEW COMPETENT STAFF to finish it.

Thing is, somewhere, LA's quality inspectors said this was okay to shove on us. Somewhere, someone said gave the greenlight to market this as a full fledged game (complete with collector's edition).

I looked past a lot of flaws for TFUI - because it had inspiration (at least I thought so).

TFUII seems more like a quick money grab.

& For that, LA - I'm never buying one of your games new, if at all. Even if they're fantastic. I've tried to make the best of my $80 - but it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Especially considering I've been burned before - I thought Kotor II was shovelware too - I've never purchased another Obsidian product since.

My opinion? Shutter LucasArts. It's dead.

In fact, having spent $80 on it (collector's), I've tried to make the best of it, because of the money I spent.

I used to do that with other games in the past. If I bought a game and it is not what I expected, I would learn to like the game just to make me feel better about the money I've spent on it. In the end, it works.

• 1 month later...

I tried so hard to think this was a really good game. The documentaries, I have watched several. The trailers, I gawked at. I spent 80 freaking dollars on the Collector's Edition, and waited several months for it to come out in pre order! And what came of it? A game I beat in less than six hours, a customized flash drive of an cartoon Starkiller's body that won't even work on my Xbox! Maulkiller looked cool but then I realized that it was just Starkiller painted black and white with some horns strapped to his head. The story told me nothing, it was simply fan service, Deak Starkiller was interesting but even that served no purpose beyond those videos, of which there should've been more of. And now everytime I walk past it and look at it, regret wells up inside of me. This is truly not a worthy game to buy, especially not for 80 bucks! If I had known better, and my Lucasarts fanboy attitude hadn't beaten my sense of reason and logic, I would've known that it's more of a 'rent and take back in one day' type game. Those are 80 dollars that I cannot get back.

That is all I have to say on the matter. Just needed to get that out there.

Get KOTOR II on PC, then go to KOTOR mods.com. I swear to god, if you get all the free downloads of the stuff they cut from KOTOR II, I swear to god you will realize KOTOR II, if finished, is indeed a superior game to the first. Why they didn't just leave this crap in to begin with is questionable. But I did love KOTOR II.

As for TFU II though, they hyped it up to be this awesome game and it wasn't! Nothing was cut from it! Nothing good anyway, and it just made me angry that I wasted almost 100 dollars for a game that wasn't worth it.

Finally got the game, and my quick summary review (haven't even finished the game)

The game now is a decent pc conversion, TFU 1 was shamefull in this department.

The graphics seem a bit better and more polished.

DMM still is overkill and just for show. You can bend the door shatter glass and so what? doesn't change anything in the way the game plays.

Euphoria is bit better with the AI doing some dodging stuff thrown at them in a cool way, but they still throw themselves without necessity sometimes and really aren't a threat to kill you, i've barely looked at my health bar after 2 levels (on normal difficulty)

Lightsaber strikes "flow", string together, a lot better now, it seems they took into consideration the fact that you are fighting enemys with a considerable advantage in numbers and now you can, hit one, then hit the one to the left, then move on to another etc... a lot more naturally, which is the biggest gameplay improvement i see.

Haven't seem the whole story, but it doesn't give me a lot to care about so far, the protagonist himself doesn't care...

Other than that it's more of the same, same rinse and repeat gameplay, clear the room go to next one...

DMM still is overkill and just for show. You can bend the door shatter glass and so what? doesn't change anything in the way the game plays.

It gives realism. It's the same as a game with great graphics, it doesn't affect the gameplay, and it's just for show. I don't see where's the problem with the game having DMM.

It gives realism. It's the same as a game with great graphics, it doesn't affect the gameplay, and it's just for show. I don't see where's the problem with the game having DMM.

The thing is, they put doors specially designed for that, to show, "look that's DMM!!!", everywhere else... it doesn't exist, totally useless technology IMO.

And the ironic part is, the doors could've been much more easily done using ordinary animation and would've looked just as good. It's a neat gimmick, but it doesn't affect the actual gameplay in any way.

My point exactly, the game would be exactly the same without it.

Then again, this isn't the first game to go out of it's way to show it's new tech.

The thing is, they put doors specially designed for that, to show, "look that's DMM!!!", everywhere else... it doesn't exist, totally useless technology IMO.

They can't use DMM everywhere. I can't talk about TFUII, but in TFU it was an interesting feature, and there were many objects that were affected by DMM. I don't recall one door that wasn't affected by DMM. Don't know why they changed this in the second one...

And then again, the DMM is not suppose to affect the gameplay. It's videogame eye-candy, just like good graphics. What's the surprise?

Archived