Home

The Force Unleashed 2 - My Thoughts

MajinMikeyX

Alright...prepare yourselves. I think the game is GREAT, alright? It's a BIGGG improvement over the first gameplay-wise and the story, well I like it.:thmbup1:

I honestly don't know how there are so many haters out there. You can call me a fanboy, but really, I think this game is well made and deserves praise like the first one did. I'm gonna laugh if anybody quotes me and says something sarcastic about the praise I mentioned. It DID get praise, lots of it. And it also got some criticism, but most games do, some more than others. Most of the people complaining about gameplay issues with the first one just suck at the game and make an excuse, but for TFU2, there's no excuse now.

Getting off topic now, I know these people are just mad at the fact that Lucasarts hasn't been making Battlefront 3 or KotOR 3 or anything, but this is the equivalent but in a different genre.

Regardless of how short it is and if you like it or not, tell me what you guys think(no flaming haters that have no good arguments, please) while I go finish the game. :)

You see, the problem is the above two instances you mentioned are secondary... First you need a game... TFU 2 is not a game... Its like the dev's were on vacation and whipped something up during a bad hangover... I was able to spot many flaws... You must have noticed this since you mentioned you've played the first level..

Grip a stormtrooper and impale him then throw him away or do a lightsaber throw... In the first TFU starkiller would at least lift his hand to catch the saber when it returns. Here more often than not it'll just spawn back in his hands... Stuff like this cannot be overlooked... You get paid to do a certain job, you deliver as mentioned in the parameters, not a dumbed down version of what was asked... Supposing you went to buy a new car, you discover the ac's not functioning. Would you keep quiet??? noooo. Thats the same way everyone feels here... since this is not something that you can fix yourself, you gotta rant and rave till you get the company's attention. Otherwise they'll just crack bottles of champagne celebrating an undeserved victory.

Four hours and a half ... are enough to finish the game, if you can call that a game... That is disappointing. While waiting for its release tomorrow (in Europe), could anyone make a 'quick' review of the challenge mode, please ?

At least I hope there will be modders for the PC version of the game, this time, hehe...

I honestly don't know how there are so many haters out there.
I think the reasons are well documented in most of the reviews out there.

And it also got some criticism, but most games do, some more than others. Most of the people complaining about gameplay issues with the first one just suck at the game and make an excuse, but for TFU2, there's no excuse now.
Frankly, I think this is nonsense. There were problems with the control system for sure, but I think the worse part is that quicktime events are boring at best, and frustrating at worst. The issue wasn't just the instances of bugs, but some poor level design as well. Some parts were really fun, but it was a mixed bag.

Getting off topic now, I know these people are just mad at the fact that Lucasarts hasn't been making Battlefront 3 or KotOR 3 or anything, but this is the equivalent but in a different genre.
Games like JO and KOTOR had way more depth in terms of both story and gameplay. Certainly JO had more involved lightsaber combat and not the rock-paper-scissors system TFU2 has.

Regardless of how short it is and if you like it or not, tell me what you guys think(no flaming haters that have no good arguments, please) while I go finish the game. :)
[moderator mode]People are allowed to discuss there views here, regardless of what they are, as long as they are respectful.[/moderator mode]

Forgive me for being elitist, but people who actually enjoy this game is likely the reason LucasArts keeps producing horrible ****, for around five years now.

Five years. There hasn't been a great SW game in FIVE years. WTF. And this nonsense will continue, because of the brainless fools running LucasArts, who, for some reason, choose to ignore the community. They would be SO PROFITABLE if they made GOOD Jedi Knight games or brought back some old IPs.

Your assertion that people dislike this game because they want SWBF III or KotOR III is absurd. People dislike this game because it's downright disgustingly bad.

The ONLY good thing about it is the graphics and physics. Gameplay and story are just horrendously terrible.

And no, I was NOT bad at the first game, nor this game. They're so, so dull - such repetitive, boring combat, with no skills needed.

I suggest you play some real SW games, then see just how bad this really is. At this point it isn't even subjective anymore.

- PR-0927

Games like JO and KOTOR had way more depth in terms of both story and gameplay. Certainly JO had more involved lightsaber combat and not the rock-paper-scissors system TFU2 has.

[moderator mode]People are allowed to discuss there views here, regardless of what they are, as long as they are respectful.[/moderator mode]

LOL if you think JO and JA have more depth in their stories than TFU. I mentioned in another post or thread I don't remember, but people really gotta stop comparing TFU to Jedi Knight. They didn't intend for TFU to be a reboot for the JK games or even the same genre of game as they are. Yes, I 110% agree the lightsaber combat for the Jedi Knight series is superior to TFU, but that's because it's a different type of game.

And the 'moderator mode' thing..yeah I know. I just hate it when people come in to post their views that oppose yours, but they're disrespectful about it and they try to say that they're the right ones and you're an idiot.

You see, the problem is the above two instances you mentioned are secondary... First you need a game... TFU 2 is not a game... Its like the dev's were on vacation and whipped something up during a bad hangover... I was able to spot many flaws... You must have noticed this since you mentioned you've played the first level..

Grip a stormtrooper and impale him then throw him away or do a lightsaber throw... In the first TFU starkiller would at least lift his hand to catch the saber when it returns. Here more often than not it'll just spawn back in his hands... Stuff like this cannot be overlooked... You get paid to do a certain job, you deliver as mentioned in the parameters, not a dumbed down version of what was asked... Supposing you went to buy a new car, you discover the ac's not functioning. Would you keep quiet??? noooo. Thats the same way everyone feels here... since this is not something that you can fix yourself, you gotta rant and rave till you get the company's attention. Otherwise they'll just crack bottles of champagne celebrating an undeserved victory.

Well, I get what you're saying, but you're wrong. OK, yeah the sabers just spawn back in his hands or whatever. Get over it. The attack still works. It's not broken, the attack still does what it's meant to do. It IS functioning. Now for the car, okay, the AC isn't working. Now that's a real problem, something that's supposed to work, giving you cool air, but no it doesn't work. The Lightsaber throw is meant to kill or damage your enemies in the game, and it does. Your problem is purely the "Show" factor.

LOL if you think JO and JA have more depth in their stories than TFU. I mentioned in another post or thread I don't remember, but people really gotta stop comparing TFU to Jedi Knight. They didn't intend for TFU to be a reboot for the JK games or even the same genre of game as they are. Yes, I 110% agree the lightsaber combat for the Jedi Knight series is superior to TFU, but that's because it's a different type of game.

You're joking, right? No one has ever doubted the superiority of JO and JA's story to TFU II. And while the story of TFU might be better than JA's, it FAILS in comparison to JO's.

And no, people don't need to stop comparing the games. They're both lightsaber combat games with Force use, and ought to be compared.

Well, I get what you're saying, but you're wrong. OK, yeah the sabers just spawn back in his hands or whatever. Get over it. The attack still works. It's not broken, the attack still does what it's meant to do. It IS functioning. Now for the car, okay, the AC isn't working. Now that's a real problem, something that's supposed to work, giving you cool air, but no it doesn't work. The Lightsaber throw is meant to kill or damage your enemies in the game, and it does. Your problem is purely the "Show" factor.

Are you secretly a LucasArts employee? You're making laughable excuses for everything. "Get over it?" Are you serious? If they spend this much money marketing a game, and then demand YOUR money for this piece-of-**** game, you have MUCH MORE than the right to complain about every aspect of it.

And you seemed to miss his point - he elaborated on the aesthetic, but TFU II fails in basically every category outside of the aesthetic.

Piss-poor excuse for a game. I'm so glad the development team was let go for this garbage. Hopefully LucasArts will cease to be a company if they keep producing **** like this. They went from my most beloved, to my most hated company, in 5 years.

- PR-0927

You're joking, right? No one has ever doubted the superiority of JO and JA's story to TFU II. And while the story of TFU might be better than JA's, it FAILS in comparison to JO's.

And no, people don't need to stop comparing the games. They're both lightsaber combat games with Force use, and ought to be compared.

Are you secretly a LucasArts employee? You're making laughable excuses for everything. "Get over it?" Are you serious? If they spend this much money marketing a game, and then demand YOUR money for this piece-of-**** game, you have MUCH MORE than the right to complain about every aspect of it.

And you seemed to miss his point - he elaborated on the aesthetic, but TFU II fails in basically every category outside of the aesthetic.

Piss-poor excuse for a game. I'm so glad the development team was let go for this garbage. Hopefully LucasArts will cease to be a company if they keep producing **** like this. They went from my most beloved, to my most hated company, in 5 years.

- PR-0927

Eh, my last argument, then I'll throw in the towel. "Statistically", TFU1 has a better story than JO, since TFU1's story won an award or two, but JO didn't get any awards for it's story. So there's the factual part of that argument, and I just personally like TFU's story. You like JO's better, and that's fine.

Now for comparing TFU and the JK games. No, people don't need to stop comparing them, but they do need to realize that they ARE different games. While JK is it's own unique game, but TFU is a hack'n'slash type game when it comes to the saber combat. I haven't really played it before, but TFU is like the modernized, hyped up version of Jedi Power Battles or The Episode 3 game.

And nah, I'm not a Lucasarts employee.(My argument ends there)

I know there's a lot of people who absolutely hate this game, but then there's people who like it. I'm one of them. I honestly play mostly for the story, about 60%-40% I'd say, but I also think the gameplay's pretty fun, I always thought of the Force Unleashed concept when i was younger, I bet anything I thought of it before Haden Blackman did.

When you said "I suggest you play some real SW games, then see just how bad this really is...", I have played real SW games. I have KotOR 1 and 2 for both PC and Xbox, and the same for JO and JA, and I seriously played the **** out of all of them. I even made some legit personal mods, that i would've put on FileFront if I knew how. Same with BF2. I've just moved on to new things, not necessarily bigger and better things, but new things nonetheless. I just wanna end this argument since it's a battle of opinions and we're all different in our tastes.

Hopefully we can agree on something here...At least TFU1 and TFU2(looking at them from your point of view, since I like them) are wayy better than the Clone Wars: Republic Heroes games.

I couldn't care less about awards (or sales, if anyone mentions that - CoD sells well, but is a horrible franchise).

TFU's story was pretty good, but TFU II's was like a prepubescent girl on crack wrote it. Gaping plot holes, no reasons for anything, very disjointed story overall.

But I'm still shocked anyone can think either story is better than JO's. Nothing beats straight up OT stuff, Kyle Katarn fighting the Remnant, Desann and all.

And while you're entitled to your opinion, I do maintain that there is no subjective basis for judging this game - as a fact, it is, downright bad (the story too).

And yes, anything is better than CWRH. That's beyond embarrassing.

- PR-0927

I HATE CoD, but you're right, it sells ridiculously well.

I thought TFU1's story was better, it could've ended there, but how they continued it in TFU2 I just thought was kinda neat and thought it was a decent story but had potential to be much better.

As much as I enjoyed JO, I just didn't think the presentation of it's story was special at all. I thought the DFII story was good and presented very well for a game that's 2 generations back.

I don't think it's a fact that the story and the game is bad, I just think you really don't like Haden Blackman and Julio Torres for hyping it up to be far greater than it ended up being. That's one of the reasons I think where most of the crap they're getting came from.

@ MajinMikeyX awards means nothing specially when it became something related to "show"biz. If awards were given in early 2k, i would think that JO woukd have won more than 2 stupid awards.

JO is way superior to TFUish story, true that tfu has nice graphics, quite cool physics, awesome AI. But that's it! I've finished TFU2 i was surprise that they, LA and Aspyr, actually did some homework to make the pc version more PCish... camera still lacks freedom.

DF2 isn't two gens back it's one gen back... JA isn't a new gen and TFU is totally on a abstract gen....

I still haven't bought TFU1 or TFU2. Since TFU1 is down to $20 for the 360 I'm just now thinking about getting it. There is no way I'm paying $60 a piece for these games. I bought JO and JA on the day they came out and they are my favorite games. TFU is a hack and slash game like the Episode III game and is no where close to being as good as JO and JA.

What do you mean by "Get over it"??? I blow my cash... You tell me "Get over it"??? i guess i wasted time trying to give you an example... so you'd understand... keep supporting LA if you'd like... Looks like you're not from the 90's and early 00's era of gaming.. or i guess you're just trying to convince yourself that the game was "80$ well spent" Don't judge my problem based on the "show" factor... The USP of the game was the show factor... Lets just leave it at this... I'm disappointed, you're not, respect my opinion and keep your explanation to yourself...

I just hate it when people come in to post their views that oppose yours, but they're disrespectful about it and they try to say that they're the right ones and you're an idiot.

Most of the people complaining about gameplay issues with the first one just suck at the game and make an excuse.
"Hello, Kettle? This is Pot. You're black."

So you come in and say you don't understand why there are haters and that the game is well made, but when people give you concrete examples why they think it isn't you tell them to just ignore all the broken stuff? And part of what they are paying for is a working "show" factor, and they aren't getting it in its entirety.

TFU is like the modernized, hyped up version of Jedi Power Battles or The Episode 3 game.
I would argue that the Ep3 game has better lightsaber combat than TFU. Hell, at least you got the satisfaction of actually beating the bosses with more than just "press X! Now Y!" Not to mention that it had nice duel and co-op modes that give it more replay value than the TFU2 has.

Okay, I'll admit, on the second play-through of the game, I don't hate the combat quite as much as I did the first time through. (Rock-Paper-Scissors is actually how I described it myself, strangely enough--still how I describe it, but it's more fun on Unleashed than it is on Medium.) The story in TFU II is terrible, though. I'm actually writing a detailed explanation of why the story is terrible, simply because I want to. I personally loved TFU I's story and characters. TFU II managed to ruin the story and all the characters but one. To put it simply, TFU II's story was crap.

TFU I is better then TFU II in almost every way. I'm going to finish getting the trophies for TFU II, then get out TFU I and go remember why I give a damn about anyone in TFU II.

PS: I've tried playing JO. Didn't really care for it. *shrug*

The game is definitely an improvement from the first game, although I am very disappointed about how short the game is. It's about 1/2 of the first one and really isn't worth £40 (or $60). It has no replay value whatsoever, you can do it again a 2nd or 3rd time yes, but it gets so tedious when you know whats going to happen. It would be better if they added some sort of MP to it, maybe a horde mode fighting wave after wave of Imperials or Rebels. Its just a shame that LucasArts never take into account that everyone is screaming for somethnig online.

@ MajinMikeyX awards means nothing specially when it became something related to "show"biz. If awards were given in early 2k, i would think that JO woukd have won more than 2 stupid awards.

JO is way superior to TFUish story, true that tfu has nice graphics, quite cool physics, awesome AI. But that's it! I've finished TFU2 i was surprise that they, LA and Aspyr, actually did some homework to make the pc version more PCish... camera still lacks freedom.

DF2 isn't two gens back it's one gen back... JA isn't a new gen and TFU is totally on a abstract gen....

Um okay? Awards WERE given in early 2000 dude. Look at KotOR 1. Released around 2003, and it won what, like 30 or more awards?

"JO is way superior to TFUish story" Purely your opinion, no substance.

I still haven't bought TFU1 or TFU2. Since TFU1 is down to $20 for the 360 I'm just now thinking about getting it. There is no way I'm paying $60 a piece for these games. I bought JO and JA on the day they came out and they are my favorite games. TFU is a hack and slash game like the Episode III game and is no where close to being as good as JO and JA.

Yeah, you're smart. TFU1's only about $20 right now at most places, and at some I've seen it for $15, so that's definitely a good time to go out and get it.

"TFU is a hack and slash game like the Episode III game and is no where close to being as good as JO and JA."

Exactly. Gameplay-wise though, not story-wise IN MY OPINION.

What do you mean by "Get over it"??? I blow my cash... You tell me "Get over it"??? i guess i wasted time trying to give you an example... so you'd understand... keep supporting LA if you'd like... Looks like you're not from the 90's and early 00's era of gaming.. or i guess you're just trying to convince yourself that the game was "80$ well spent" Don't judge my problem based on the "show" factor... The USP of the game was the show factor... Lets just leave it at this... I'm disappointed, you're not, respect my opinion and keep your explanation to yourself...

I am from the 90's and 00's era of gaming, but when you've played games like Super Star Wars, SOTE, Rogue Squadron, Jedi Knight literally in the 100-500 times range, you tend to get a bit bored, well that's just me.

"was "80$ well spent"" Damn that sucks you got the CE.

"Lets just leave it at this... I'm disappointed, you're not, respect my opinion and keep your explanation to yourself"

Yeah I'm sorry about that, I'm just saying that the Saber Throw issue you have, I noticed it too. It's just that it's not the biggest of the "show factor" problems in the game. To me they made Force Push kinda crappy looking compared to how it was in TFU1, among some other things. And you just gave an example which was just different from the problem. You said the AC was broken in a car, which is an issue about function, the Saber Throw problem was an issue about "show factor". Now if you used an example about a paint job that had a bunch of air bubbles or something then that would've been better.

I'll respect your opinion for not liking the game, just respect mine for liking it.

"Hello, Kettle? This is Pot. You're black."

Yeah, that was a bad argument I had there I'll admit. It's just that right before this my friend sold his Halo Reach. He claimed it was just the most terrible game he's ever played since the first time he put it in his 360, but at first he enjoyed it until he couldn't beat the campaign on easy since it was hard for him, and he kept getting killed in multiplayer. He sucked. So he sold it.

I am from the 90's and 00's era of gaming, but when you've played games like Super Star Wars, SOTE, Rogue Squadron, Jedi Knight literally in the 100-500 times range, you tend to get a bit bored, well that's just me.

"was "80$ well spent"" Damn that sucks you got the CE.

"Lets just leave it at this... I'm disappointed, you're not, respect my opinion and keep your explanation to yourself"

Yeah I'm sorry about that, I'm just saying that the Saber Throw issue you have, I noticed it too. It's just that it's not the biggest of the "show factor" problems in the game. To me they made Force Push kinda crappy looking compared to how it was in TFU1, among some other things. And you just gave an example which was just different from the problem. You said the AC was broken in a car, which is an issue about function, the Saber Throw problem was an issue about "show factor". Now if you used an example about a paint job that had a bunch of air bubbles or something then that would've been better.

I'll respect your opinion for not liking the game, just respect mine for liking it.

I'm sorry for my outburst and i apologize... It's not like me to start blasting people... hay, looks like i activated force fury i guess :) . Well my point is, if you read my message earlier, i added a little "For Instance" there... So my focus is not just on the lightsaber throw... There are many more.

1. Force Push, was there any point maxing it out:confused: It just focuses on one AI char, no matter what level..

2. Lightning. instead of going forward, they've gone back. The dev's are so goddamn lazy that instead of making a texture where the lightning shoots out individually from each fingertip, they just put some sloppy ball like texture for both his hands to simplify their task.

3. Brand new force powers??? WTF is that... You add mind trick and force sense and you call that brand new force powers??? One of the bloody dev's even had the audacity to use force sense in his marketing tactic...

4. costumes... hows sloppy was that done... There's hardly any selection and the costume you get after the darkside ending was supposed to have a hood. Yeah don't include a hood cause it looks more badass without it. oh and we(dev's) are too lazy, Lets add 3 costumes from the previous game and ask the fans to have a save game from TFU 1, effing ingenious.

I"m on my 4th playthrough, let me refresh my memory and i'll be back with more...

Apart from my initial reaction to KotOR's future being in an MMO, TFU II is the biggest disappointment in Star Wars gaming history, Too Short, Poor story, Glitchy cinematics, no content. The "Challenges" (I'm assuming were added in when they realised they had a 3 hour game) are on par with something you can download free on your cell phone... Very Very poor in every way, and No where near as good as the first game. Hardly worth the amazing cinematic's that were made to promote it.

I vote for no TFU III, and free DLC, because I know for a fact there gonna come out with some BS "Get the amazing new ending and Endor level for only £19.99"... erm, no, I just paid £40 for a shell of a game.

edit: and for the record this isn't some childish selfish rant, I'm 30 years old with a mortgage and a full time Job, I've got bigger fish to fry and I aint really gonna lose any sleep over it, I just think Lucasarts has dropped the ball big time and its a disservice to kids (and adults) who go without to scrape £40 together and the game ends up being sub-par.

Note to LA: Listen fan feedback, it saves game studio's.

Hardly worth the amazing cinematic's that were made to promote it.

I wonder if that's why the game is so bad. Blowing a large portion of your budget on fancy CG cutscenes, adverts, and USB and crap for collector's editions is obviously going to impact the production of the game somewhere along the line.

Perhaps next time (god forbid) they'll spend less time hyping it up with crap like that, and more time on the game itself.

The story in TFU II is terrible, though. I'm actually writing a detailed explanation of why the story is terrible, simply because I want to. I personally loved TFU I's story and characters. TFU II managed to ruin the story and all the characters but one. To put it simply, TFU II's story was crap.

PS: I've tried playing JO. Didn't really care for it. *shrug*

I agree with you. I love the characters, but majorly dislike TFU2 and it did ruin something that had great potential to be something else.

I've also played JO and I didn't much care for it either :S

For a year I got VERY excited and eager to play TFU2! I watched the cinematics, read articles and video reviews which made me more excited! But my disappointment started when I read the book, only a week prior to the games release.

I own TFU1 book and really liked it, so I figured the TFU2 book would be a nice edition to my Force Unleashed obsessive collection :p

I was a bit curious by how the first part began. It introduced rebel characters and even the villain Tarkin from Episode 4, which I found strange. And yet, his part had really nothing to do with the story.

Lots of Juno Eclipse was in the book and I was looking forward to some nice cutscenes with her.

By the time I got to the part when the ship the "Salvation" came in, I really got disappointed with the story. From then on to the ending was just bad!

When the game was released I watched a full gameplay online(I was having seconds thoughts on purchasing my copy at the time). After finishing watching the game play I was pretty upset. The book did better with the storyline then the game...sadly :(

It felt like everything was rushed. Starkiller went from point A to Z in a matter of seconds. And from an observation point, Starkiller is so powerful from the beginning of the game, its not even challenging. And health seems to be the least of your worries. And the force lightning looks less of what it was in TFU1!

The interviews by the creators, said it was like "Empire Strikes Back". I'm sorry, but you'd have to be seriously mental to think its anything like the film "Empire".

At least in Empire we had a revelation. In this game we are left confused "is it a clone or isn't he?" The romance story is bogus. There is no romance, just an over-emotional guy obsessed with his former pilot. And has no care in the world for the rebel alliance.

Well I thought the general point of Star Wars was the fight against the dark and lightside. I don't see that epic struggle!

I'm still debating on getting the game or not. I may just rent it, play it once and be the end of it.

Archived