Home

The Force Unleashed 2 - My Thoughts

MajinMikeyX

60 euros (that is to say around 80 US dollars) for a game riddled with bugs (well, at least for the PC version) and for a short-lived story ?!? I think that Lucasart exaggerates this time. Please add a multiplayer mode or make a 'Battlefront 3' like Modern Warfare 2 to redeem yourself ! Sigh...

No wonder some people will download the game instead of buying it.

• 3 weeks later...
Starkiller is so powerful from the beginning of the game, its not even challenging.

It is a bit harder on the highest difficulty, but when you do die, you simply respawn at the last checkpoint with full health again. So... yeah, no challenge in this one whatsoever.

The interviews by the creators, said it was like "Empire Strikes Back". I'm sorry, but you'd have to be seriously mental to think its anything like the film "Empire".

Actually I did find one similiarity: Much like ESB, TFU2 is the middle part of a trilogy. As such, its story has neither a beginning nor an ending and therefore sucks hairy monkey balls.

I'm still debating on getting the game or not. I may just rent it, play it once and be the end of it.

The story sucks, but the gameplay is still fun... ish. When the price comes down to 10 schmuckers or so, go right ahead. Or buy a cheap used one off of eBay or something. Until then, I say pass.

• 2 weeks later...

what is it with you and hairy monkey balls?...

Anyway, I thought the game and story were both great. Sure I was disappointed in how short it was and how Dagobah had nothing more to offer, but I still liked it. I hope they tie in stealing the Death Star plans with TFU3.

I don't want any more of that. Enough stories are associated with stealing the Death Star plans: Dark Forces, Lethal Alliance, a short story by Timothy Zahn. . . . And Lucas Film has already painstakingly reconciled them all into continuity by saying that different people were only stealing different portions of the plans, which the Rebel Alliance pieced together into a coherent whole.

I could do without one more awkwardly retconned piece of the puzzle.

what is it with you and hairy monkey balls?...

Anyway, I thought the game and story were both great. Sure I was disappointed in how short it was and how Dagobah had nothing more to offer, but I still liked it. I hope they tie in stealing the Death Star plans with TFU3.

Let me rephrase that a bit: TFU2's story as a separate story standing on its own sucks. I do think it has the potential to be awesome, though. It's very obviously only the first half, the rest apparently reserved for TFU2.

The reviews I've been reading tend to say things along the lines of... if you liked the first game you should enjoy the second.

Basically the story is where they criticize it, saying it's not as deep or unpredictable as the first one, in the sequel, and that the gameplay is not much different (more of the same) but knock it down by saying that the boss battles are anticlimactic and the variety of enemies you fight in the game is a lot less than the previous game (that you're basically just fighting Imperials all the time).

I haven't played either game yet, but I'm just saying, it didn't sound so great. For me, I watch videos of the gameplay and think "that looks fun." But I also remind myself it's not Jedi Knight. There's no multiplayer, the editing is minimal, and ultimately it's just a third person hack'n'slasher where the main fun (it appears) is tossing objects around with the Force (especially stormtroopers).

When I heard the sequel had dismemberment I was hopeful, but it appears it's not much... just a leg here or an arm there (where before there was nothing).

I was disappointed to see that the Wii version of FU2 (man, those abbreviations are fun, huh?), while being the only port with functional multiplayer, once again, appeared to dumb it down even further...

Whereas the first game had two players running around in a small, stripped down level, tossing objects at each other with the force and grabbing power ups while trading slashes using much the same gameplay as the single player adventure... FU2 on the Wii has a mode that plays more like a mini-game which appears directly ripped off of "Super Smash Brothers." There are no objects to manipulate, you just move along on the 2D plane, jumping from platform to platform and striking each other. The only improvement is that you can now have 4 people at once.

Incidentally, did anybody know that Super Smash Bros. actually based its gameplay on an arcade game called "Outfoxies" (released by Namco in 1994)?

Archived