Home

Will never see another dime from this PC user.

Madashell

Irrelevant. In fact, the port was made by both LucasArts and Aspyr, that's why the tech support is in LucasArts hands now.

There's a difference between a bad port and a bad game. TFU was a bad port due to the lack of optimization, which doesn't mean it's a worse version than the consoles. On TFU2, there was indeed a difference, both in graphics and glitches. The PC is one of the plataforms where the game was meant to be played. If that doesn't happen, it's LucasArts fault, not the costumer.

Ah, did not know that. You sure did your research.

The development process for the consoles and PC version were different. The consoles were made strictly by Lucasarts, but the PC was done by Aspyr, with LA overseeing its development, just as they did with the Wii version, they oversaw its development. That would generally make the versions that weren't LA's main focus the "side-projects" for lack of a better description.

The following information may be irrelevant to some, but here's a case where it WOULD be the customer's fault. Alright, saw someone has a PC, and a 360/PS3. TFU2 comes out. They know the risk involved with getting the PC version that it may not be compatible with their specs, but it's a 100% guarantee that it will work on their 360/PS3. So when the day comes when they must decide which one to get, they get the PC version. They come home to realize that it doesn't work with their PC. In general, without listing the possible circumstances that may be missing from the description of this case, I'd say it's the customer's fault.

My question to you all...why did this thread/argument get revived?

The development process for the consoles and PC version were different. The consoles were made strictly by Lucasarts, but the PC was done by Aspyr, with LA overseeing its development, just as they did with the Wii version, they oversaw its development. That would generally make the versions that weren't LA's main focus the "side-projects" for lack of a better description.

No. As I said, it was made by both. It was LucasArts who released the latest patch, not Aspyr. It's LucasArts who has the tech support, not Aspyr.

The following information may be irrelevant to some, but here's a case where it WOULD be the customer's fault. Alright, saw someone has a PC, and a 360/PS3. TFU2 comes out. They know the risk involved with getting the PC version that it may not be compatible with their specs, but it's a 100% guarantee that it will work on their 360/PS3.

No, they don't. The box shows the system requirements, as the consoles do too.

So when the day comes when they must decide which one to get, they get the PC version. They come home to realize that it doesn't work with their PC. In general, without listing the possible circumstances that may be missing from the description of this case, I'd say it's the customer's fault.

What? How? If information is missing from the description, it's the company's fault, not the costumer's.

My question to you all...why did this thread/argument get revived?

Because someone used your fallacy as an argument on some other thread.

1) Yeah, the PC version did include the DLC...for hackers. It wasn't an advertised thing. The Endor DLC was marketed as a product for he 360 and PS3.

Oh, I thought you were talking about TFU1. As for TFU2, LA doesn't seem quite finished with it yet, maybe they'll enable the DLCs or release a special edition of this one for the PC as well. We'll see.

Yeah, I would expect the same thing, BUT it wasn't ported by LA. It was ported by Asypr.

That's why I said publisher, not developer.

LA handed over the materials for them to port it, and after what Aspyr did with TFU1, most would be wary of what they would possibly do with TFU2. I mean, yeah we should expect it to be quality and have no problems, that's how it should be, but not in some cases. It's like you let someone borrow your car, then they crash it. Same person wants to borrow your car again, you're gonna be hesitant to let him borrow your car right? That's what Aspyr did with TFU1, they took it and basically crashed it, then it was their job to do TFU2, most people would be like "oh god they better not mess this one up like last time, I might have to hold off on buying it until I hear about the bugs in it." Most people aren't gonna be like, "Oh boy, they really messed up last time but I believe that they are going to do a fantastic job and not mess up at all."

Two points about this: Firstly, I actually didn't find the port of TFU1 all that terrble, since I only got to play it on a completely new computer powerful enough that the non-existent optimization and bloated install size weren't an issue. Yes, it crashes once in a while, but so what? So do Oblivion, Fallout, Crysis, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and a whole bunch of other excellent and/or critically acclaimed games. PC games crash, that's just how it is.

Secondly, IIRC we were assured by LA that the first game's fiasco would not be repeated. Since they're the publisher and therefore ultimately responsible for the finished product, I kinda believed them. Maybe that was naive of me.

You know what, it was my mistake here, and I apologize. I was pretty tired by the time I got to that part and got you confused with I believe was deesnyder who said that. I'm like Marty McFly when you call him a chicken when someone says, "I dare you" to me, so I was searching and then found that it wasn't you who said it.

Yeah, I'm pretty anal about wording stuff right, especially when it comes to claiming something as fact that I damn well know to be a matter of opinion. That's just asking to be ripped a new one. No hard feelings, eh?

• 1 year later...

I feel your pain.

Both TFU:USE and TFU2 ran like molasses on my 2011 system the first time I ran them, even with the latest patches, regardless of my settings. Updating my graphics card drivers did nothing. A couple of restarts of windows later, they magically ran great (well in the case of TFU2 I DID have to do something special.... create a shortcut and add -variableTimesteps to it, I also use the 60 FPS unlocker).

So I was upset at first, but then the problem more or less fixed itself (again, except in the latter case a tweak was required). Now I have no complaints about the technical issues, though once in a great while both games will crash out to the desktop seemingly for no reason (thankfully autosave prevents me from losing too much progress).

Go figure.

Having played a bit of the Wii version (of TFU1), it seems like a rather different game, though obviously based on a similar core, and downgraded to account for the weaker specs. With TFU2 it seems like a little bit of extra care was taken with regard to PC gamers, but at the end of the day both games are basically just a dump of the Xbox360 version. The only advantage we have over consoles is that we are less limited in our controller options, have potentially shorter load times and can access the few limited mods that are out there. PC games have greater potential, but they're obviously just giving out the PC versions as an afterthought. They hope to make their real money on the major consoles. It sucks, but I understand why they do it and I'll take straight ports over nothing.

Meh, I love flinging enemies and blasting them with lightning too much to hate Aspry for:

Not spelling their name as "Aspire"

Glitchy performance on intro movies

Arena-Boss Fights -that's LA

I really wanted 2 lightsabers like Outcast

Archived