Home

TFU 2 Needed to be alittle longer

JonChaos6

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_lightning

Force lightning was a purely offensive, energy-based attack that channeled Force energy down the user's limbs, hurling arcing bolts of electricity from the wielder's fingertips or palms; Force lightning could be executed with either one or two hands.[5][2] Powerful discharges would branch out into dozens of smaller forks; thus, skilled practitioners could target several foes at once.[15]

The intensity varied based on a number of factors. A skilled user could render a target unconscious with only a short burst. A single, powerful blast was sufficient to kill a person instantly. Darth Bane's lightning, for example would often electrocute his opponents to death on contact. Galen Marek was another Force-user who could channel lightning that would kill on contact. Both Kyle Katarn and Darth Sidious could conjure lightning so powerful that not only would it instantly kill its target, it would also physically hurl them backwards.

The fact that it caused not only severe physical damage but also unbearable agony to the victim led to it being widely used as a form of torture.[2] Palpatine, at the Battle of Endor repeatedly assaulted Luke Skywalker with the lightning, and Darth Malak used it upon Bastila Shan, having captured her onboard the Leviathan and having brought her to Lehon, where he converted her to the dark side.[2]

Depending on the level of intensity, Force lightning could ground itself on an ignited lightsaber, with no apparent ill effect on the lightsaber's operation.[16] Powerful light-siders were sometimes able to resist the attack, or even block the lightning completely. Mace Windu, with his lightsaber combat form Vaapad, could reflect the lightning back to its source with a "superconducting loop". It required tremendous effort on the reflector's part, however, as seen in Windu's battle with Palpatine; Windu was seemingly able to overcome Palpatine's lightning. Obi-Wan Kenobi was also able to deflect Count Dooku's lightning, with his lightsaber, without exerting much effort as well. Galen Marek, with his lightning shield, could deflect even Palpatine's force lightning back at him.

Force lightning could also be absorbed and redirected by a Jedi of sufficient skill; Yoda demonstrated this ability by both deflecting and absorbing the dark power during battles with Count Dooku and Emperor Palpatine, using nothing more than his own two hands.[16] Galen Marek was also able to block Palpatine's lightning with only his bare hands and keep walking towards him at the same time. Luke Skywalker attempted this, and succeeded for a short amount of time, before the Emperor's attack overwhelmed him.[17]

There existed an advanced version of Force lightning which may have been used by the Jedi Exile and Revan in the Jedi Civil War. Its destructive potential was legendary; the apocalyptic power was known as Force Storm[18][19]. Marek used this power on the giant sarlacc during his fight with Shaak Ti.

Also, Galen Marek's clone, if in a rage, was able to produce lightning at such intensity that it literally vaporised the target. This is the strongest known use of the power.

Well, i guess it would have to be the last sentence.

Please don't mind. Its just that i was really pissed of about the story making the cannon look like a hap hazard story. I mean, we all know that the EU states vader was never able to use force lightning cause it would short out his life support. Why would they still use that QTE as the final takedown is really beyond me.

My point is, where do these dev's look for ideas??? Must've been a really bad hangover as i stated earlier or a bad acid trip. :confused:

Hmm..this is a different article than what it used to be, but this new article makes Kyle Katarn and Galen look like badasses.

Well, i guess it would have to be the last sentence.

Please don't mind. Its just that i was really pissed of about the story making the cannon look like a hap hazard story. I mean, we all know that the EU states vader was never able to use force lightning cause it would short out his life support. Why would they still use that QTE as the final takedown is really beyond me.

My point is, where do these dev's look for ideas??? Must've been a really bad hangover as i stated earlier or a bad acid trip. :confused:

I honestly try to disregard when Vader uses lightning in that last battle with him. When he started shooting at me I was like "wait...wtf???" And for the final QTE I started laughing while I was doing it because it was just so crazy.

I think you're taking it far too seriously. The only point of the TFU games is to look cool. Not make sense, not fit into the rest of the canon and EU, just look cool.

Umm..the point of them are actually to fit into canon and EU...whether people like it or not, it's considered canon. But, it was made to look cool in the process.

Umm..the point of them are actually to fit into canon and EU...whether people like it or not, it's considered canon. But, it was made to look cool in the process.

Yeah, except as you've been discussing it kinda doesn't fit. Which tells me the fitting was a secondary goal at best, the looking cool came first.

Well that's just the point. Why does he use lightning? There's no reason for it, in terms of gameplay mechanics it's just a way for him to deal damage to the player. He could've just as easily used his signature choke for that. Oh, wait, that doesn't come with a cool visual effect...

Plus there's more than that anyway. What about the cloning of Force-sensitives? And a ship barely larger than a TIE fighter having a cloaking device (not to mention individual soldiers having cloaking devices), and vastly overblown Force powers, and holodroids that are able to not only mimic living beings flawlessly (while every other hologram in the galaxy is monochrome and interlaced) but even replicate a Jedi's Force powers?

The lightnings just a gameplay thing yeah, since it's not in any cinematics. The cloning of force-sensitives is a story based element though, not the cool-looking factor.

Ship "barely larger"?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081231235858/starwars/images/thumb/2/2b/Rogue_Shadow_TIE_size.jpg/630px-Rogue_Shadow_TIE_size.jpg

I don't know if 5-6 times bigger is considered barely larger. The cloaking device is surely for the cool-factor but it played a role in the story of TFU1 so it's not JUST for the cool. Cloaked soldiers were in KotOR 2, and that's a few thousands of years before this time, so it's pretty convincing for me.

The story itself fits into canon, but the Force powers are exaggerated. It would be one thing if it was everyone else using the Force at the level we see in the movies and then Starkiller was using them at the unleashed level, but the game's supposed to up-scale the level of the force for everyone. I remember an old interview or webdoc or something before TFU1 was released, and the guy said that the first level of TFU1, where you play as Vader was supposed to be the indicator that the force in this game is exaggerated for all force users, hence the title.

You got me there with the proxy droids or holodroids except that Proxy only uses force powers in gameplay, and not in any cinematics. He does use lightsabers in cinematics however, but so does Grevious.

Nah-uh, I don't think the cloning is a story-based element. That may sound paradoxical, but the cloning thing never really comes up in a significant way, the only way it crops up is in the repeated conversations between the protagonist and Kota along the lines of "I'm a clone", "No you're not", which sound more like throwaway lines than serious character development. The protagonist's nature and origin are never resolved, ergo they aren't really important for the plot. The exact same story (Starkiller escapes Vader, Vader kidnaps Juno, Starkiller fights Vader and frees Juno) could've been told by just having Vader revive Starkiller as he had done once in the past. The only thing it really affects is the final battle taking place on the Kamino cloning spires, and since that's pretty rubbish from a gameplay point of view, the only point of it I can see is the spectacle.

For the Rogue Shadow's size, I'm going by the Dagobah 'level' where it actually appears in gameplay next to a human-sized Starkiller. Note that Vader's TIE also appears in such a way on Cato Neimoidia and seems spot on in terms of size, so presumably the RS is also modelled accurately.

Cloaking devices are supposed to had been in widespread use, then lost and only barely re-introduced by the time of Palpatine's reign and then only on capital ships. That's what the wiki says anyway. Let's not even get into how a society completely stagnates for thousands of years with no apparent technological improvements, please.

The Foce powers may be exaggerated, but the authors still claim Starkiller is the most powerful Force user to ever enter into the canon and some of the insane stuff he does in the games is apparently taken seriously, so I don't think you can just ignore that with a handwave.

Now it might be possible to explain some of these away but I think we can agree that in terms of fitting into the canon, the game only really seriously bothers with the broader picture. When you look closer, some of the details seem at least a bit odd, I'd say.

How is the cloning not a story-based element? It's used to confuse Starkiller(and the person playing) whether he's a clone or not. Sure, it doesn't develop the characters very much but the mentioning of whether he's a clone or not between Starkiller and Kota and when Vader tells Starkiller he's a clone are both significant things regarding that question.

The Rogue Shadow's scale in the Dagobah level is a little off, like most Starwars games are when having the player standing next to their ship. The ship's supposed to be pretty big, I'd compare it to the Millennium Falcon, or at least the Outrider. Just look back to TFU1, in the interior of the ship, most notably in the cutscene inside the ship after completing Kashyyyk, that space is a huge open room inside.

C'mon, from KotOR to the PT and OT the droids change at least:thmbup1:

When did they ever say Starkiller was the most powerful Force-user in the canon? The most powerful force-user I'm assuming would've been Luke later in life when he's a Jedi Grand Master, as by that time Luke could do things Starkiller wouldn't imagine being able to do.

How is the cloning not a story-based element? It's used to confuse Starkiller(and the person playing) whether he's a clone or not. Sure, it doesn't develop the characters very much but the mentioning of whether he's a clone or not between Starkiller and Kota and when Vader tells Starkiller he's a clone are both significant things regarding that question.

Actually it's not used to confuse him at all. He accepts that he's a clone right from the start, when Vader tells him the visions are a side effect of the memory flashes used to train him. He doesn't say "are you sure?" or "I don't believe you, I think they're my own memories", he says "what if they don't fade?". In that question you already have an implicit acceptance of what Vader told him. Then throughout the story the protagonist is completely sure he's a clone and tries to convince Kota of it, both before the rather ambiguous Dagobah vision and afterwards. And in the end he doesn't even care. When he confronts Vader, he doesn't yell "tell me the truth, am I a clone or not!?", he's all about Juno, Juno, Juno. True, the promotional materials for the game do stress the question of whether he's a clone and imply that searching for the answer is going to be important, but in the actual game it's really not. And if the protagonist doesn't care, why should the audience?

The Rogue Shadow's scale in the Dagobah level is a little off, like most Starwars games are when having the player standing next to their ship. The ship's supposed to be pretty big, I'd compare it to the Millennium Falcon, or at least the Outrider. Just look back to TFU1, in the interior of the ship, most notably in the cutscene inside the ship after completing Kashyyyk, that space is a huge open room inside.

Even a Millenium Falcon-sized ship couldn't have a cloaking device if that imperial officer in Ep 5 is to be believed. Also, the interior of the MF was larger than the exterior even in the movies. ;)

C'mon, from KotOR to the PT and OT the droids change at least:thmbup1:

The droids change? How, exactly? The only change in droids I can see between Kotor and the SW saga proper is that 4000 years before Palpatine astromech droids drive with their side wheels in the front and their middle wheel in the back. Oh, and they wobble their head in addition to turning it. I guess getting rid of the head wobble is the latest breakthrough in astromech droid technology in the SW universe. After 4000 years of development. Yep, that's progress alright. :D

When did they ever say Starkiller was the most powerful Force-user in the canon? The most powerful force-user I'm assuming would've been Luke later in life when he's a Jedi Grand Master, as by that time Luke could do things Starkiller wouldn't imagine being able to do.

TVTropes says so. You wouldn't doubt TVTropes, would you? :mad:

Actually it's not used to confuse him at all. He accepts that he's a clone right from the start, when Vader tells him the visions are a side effect of the memory flashes used to train him. He doesn't say "are you sure?" or "I don't believe you, I think they're my own memories", he says "what if they don't fade?". In that question you already have an implicit acceptance of what Vader told him. Then throughout the story the protagonist is completely sure he's a clone and tries to convince Kota of it, both before the rather ambiguous Dagobah vision and afterwards. And in the end he doesn't even care. When he confronts Vader, he doesn't yell "tell me the truth, am I a clone or not!?", he's all about Juno, Juno, Juno. True, the promotional materials for the game do stress the question of whether he's a clone and imply that searching for the answer is going to be important, but in the actual game it's really not. And if the protagonist doesn't care, why should the audience?

Confuse wasn't the right word...but I meant that Starkiller is told he's a clone to cast doubt to the characters involved like Kota, and to the audience whether he really is a clone or not.

Even a Millenium Falcon-sized ship couldn't have a cloaking device if that imperial officer in Ep 5 is to be believed. Also, the interior of the MF was larger than the exterior even in the movies. ;)

Not really. It slightly does but not quite. It has a "house effect" I like to call it. A house can be a certain size that you don't think is too big, but inside it's bigger than you thought because now you're inside going through various rooms. The same applies to the MF. But the RS is just huge in the interior in cutscenes and average-sized when you're outside of it.

Untitled1smaller.jpg

Untitled2smaller.jpg

The droids change? How, exactly? The only change in droids I can see between Kotor and the SW saga proper is that 4000 years before Palpatine astromech droids drive with their side wheels in the front and their middle wheel in the back. Oh, and they wobble their head in addition to turning it. I guess getting rid of the head wobble is the latest breakthrough in astromech droid technology in the SW universe. After 4000 years of development. Yep, that's progress alright. :D

Just look how much more sleek and sexy R2-D2 is compared to T3-M4. It's like a DS Lite compared to an original DS. ;)

TVTropes says so. You wouldn't doubt TVTropes, would you? :mad:

I've never even heard of TVTropes, but anybody who's read EU during times when Luke's a Jedi Master should know that Luke is pretty damn powerful.

Archived