Home

Does people still play this game

Lucky_Luke

Yes there are still people that play this game. I don't do MP so I can't tell you if any of the 'greats' are still here. I'm not going to lie, our communitty is smaller now. After all the game is 7 years old and there a lot more games comining out and drawing people away. It's the small devoted communitty that is mainly still around and posting on forums such as here and filefront.

• 8 months later...
Well the clan I'm in has 80 members and we occasionally kick members out and close recruitment. I think that's a sign JA will be around for a while.

A lot of the player base is in the modding community. Always has been.

im glad of that! having a thriving JA community last for a long time is definitely a good sign for me, because i love this game! its amazing; and the extent of the modding community for JA far surpasses that of any game i have ever seen before.

It is a wonderful game, a classic and many still play it happlily and create new content, some of the mods and new levels are equal if not better than the original, search for threads on the new maps..they really enhance it all.

Most servers are plauged by bots. which makes it tricky to find a server with players. But if you do search through you will notice there is still a healthy number of players. My worries are though.. that most players (me included) are star wars fanatics. Meaning some may be lost with the iminent release of The Old Republic. I will try to play both games but it might be hard to come online, with the clan im in now its like i have to force myself to stare at the startup screen until i am forced to hit the multiplayer button

Most servers are plauged by bots. which makes it tricky to find a server with players. But if you do search through you will notice there is still a healthy number of players. My worries are though.. that most players (me included) are star wars fanatics. Meaning some may be lost with the iminent release of The Old Republic. I will try to play both games but it might be hard to come online, with the clan im in now its like i have to force myself to stare at the startup screen until i am forced to hit the multiplayer button

ya thats true; the old republic looks like its gonna be awesome

EDIT: ...buuut its waaay too expensive for my budget :/

I am hopeful it will be a true Star Wars game and not too much of a SW hybrid with WOW overtones, some of the ads seem a bit glitzy..ie space babes in mega armor type stuff but Bioware has done some good SW work so I remain hopeful.

I guess the poster means that he's such a fanatic that he'll always be drawn to the latest Star Wars title...

But I don't see how being a fan means you can't enjoy previous releases. As for me, I don't have the time to devote to an RPG, much less the money for a MMORPG (which is why I have yet to subscribe to one). Those cutscenes were great. But the game itself looks to me like just another rehash (of SWG or the Old Republic) with slightly better graphics. It might end up being the best SW (video) RPG yet, but I still won't be playing it. Just not my cup of tea.

As for me, I don't have the time to devote to an RPG, much less the money for a MMORPG (which is why I have yet to subscribe to one). Those cutscenes were great. But the game itself looks to me like just another rehash (of SWG or the Old Republic) with slightly better graphics. It might end up being the best SW (video) RPG yet, but I still won't be playing it. Just not my cup of tea.

i completely agree. i got a 14-day free trial for WoW and loved it. but it ended there. i just cant afford MMORPG's, so i dont play them. im sure the old republic will be pretty much the same story for me.

I play the game everyday, I compete in the ESL leagues for jedi academy. The base community is strong and want to see an increase in players. All base servers are on TFFA mode because that's the competitive aspect of the game. Also we play base because ja+ and other mods ruin what makes the game's saber combat competitive. It makes blocks/range/parries/damages sketchy and too irregular and inconsistent. KEEP THIS GAME ALIVE, PLAY BASE, ENJOY IT!

I play the game everyday, I compete in the ESL leagues for jedi academy. The base community is strong and want to see an increase in players. All base servers are on TFFA mode because that's the competitive aspect of the game. Also we play base because ja+ and other mods ruin what makes the game's saber combat competitive. It makes blocks/range/parries/damages sketchy and too irregular and inconsistent. KEEP THIS GAME ALIVE, PLAY BASE, ENJOY IT!

I always enjoyed TFFA and CTF when I played. I believe that mods like JA+ did do more harm than good for the game. They basically created a culture that encouraged people not to fight in a 1st/3rd person action game.

The Movie Battles mod brought the competitive spirit that made Jedi Outcast so much fun to Jedi Academy. It was definitely my favorite mod back in the day. I really want to play some CTF again though!

I can't wait to get a new copy of the game so I can get back on!

• 6 months later...

Yep, like I posted earlier, I just got the game at the local office supply store for $9, and cant stop playing it.

Even though it's almost ten years old, the game play is awesome, and the carry over characters in the series really makes a big difference. Plus the replay value is very high too.

When the story line is good it doesn't matter if the graphics are state of the art or not.

Quality always stands the test of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing about the graphics. I played JO on a old machine for the time that couldn't even display the game without some work arounds. When I finally got a good machine it looked great. Then JA came out with dynamic lighting and I turned it on... my jaw hit the ground when I saw the saber glow! That was a thing of beauty.

Even now I'm still impressed with the glow.

Archived