Home

Thinking out of the box

Snugglecakes

This is making me very jealous.

I know it costs money to package stuff but I'd pay more for a box. It's so much more satisfying. They should do this more often. A box with a DVD and manual and quick start guide and poster and pirate bandana :thmbup1:

I know it's all about instant gratification these days but driving down to the shop to pick up a boxed copy is still far simpler than filling in forms and downloading and fighting with Steam. And best of all you have a new box for your LucasArts shelf. Mine hasn't been added to for 10 long years. Even the first season of Sam & Max just came in a DVD case. Nice but not big enough and not packed with enough stuff :)

Would be the Germans. First they send us packing from the World Cup (again) and now they have Monkey Island in a box. It's just not fair.

They're the only ones who do anymore.

There lies in my local Gamestop a forgotten copy of A Vampyre Story. It has been in the same spot for a whole year. When I happened upon it the first time, I was both amused and let down, because even though they of all people stocked something IN BOX which should not have existed in this country, it was obvious that it would be there for some time. Felt bad for the poor thing.

Boxed copies altogether are going the way of the dodo. Adventure games got the axe years before, so they'll be the first to vanish. Like all things, it depends on where you live. Some US places are surprisingly well-stocked, and in the vault of a mouldering Best Buy I HAVE found CMI, Grim, those sorts of things before. They're out of the limelight, but places do carry them.

It's up to luck.

There lies in my local Gamestop a forgotten copy of A Vampyre Story. It has been in the same spot for a whole year. When I happened upon it the first time, I was both amused and let down, because even though they of all people stocked something IN BOX which should not have existed in this country, it was obvious that it would be there for some time. Felt bad for the poor thing.
My GameStop has had a Space Quest Collection on the shelf since Sierra re-released it back in 2006(?). Every time I go, I almost feel pity for the poor thing....

Boxes rule! It's a pity that everything is digitalized nowadays, cause the idea of having the game on your shelf is so much better than having a directory with a new name on your computer.

Boxes/cases are nice for their simplicity and speed, but my god am I running out of shelf space — if internet connections were much faster here I'd be totally happy with going mostly digital. One day kids will look back at us with our boxed copies and think 'Wtf?' as they sit there downloading entire games in a second flat. Kind of like how many people just get tracks off iTunes and stuff nowadays rather than buying CDs. :eek:

I'll be honest, I don't think I would have bought Sam and Max season 1 if it wasn't for the fact that I saw a hard copy of it at Wal-Mart. In turn I ended up ordering season 2, TOMI (of course) and season 3.

I think there is something to be said about hard copies of media, be it movies or video games. Its hard to feel ownership without a hard copy to look at and touch. To this day, I still haven't caught on to netflix, or steam, or anything else like that unless the products are unavailable otherwise (ala MI:SE).

To be fair though, old school video game box art was a lot more artistic. I mean look at the first two Monkey Island boxes, which appeared to be (were?) hand-painted. They were visually stunning, and there is a reason why people on here were dedicated to making full size posters of them.

I'll be honest, I don't think I would have bought Sam and Max season 1 if it wasn't for the fact that I saw a hard copy of it at Wal-Mart. In turn I ended up ordering season 2, TOMI (of course) and season 3.

I think there is something to be said about hard copies of media, be it movies or video games. Its hard to feel ownership without a hard copy to look at and touch. To this day, I still haven't caught on to netflix, or steam, or anything else like that unless the products are unavailable otherwise (ala MI:SE).

To be fair though, old school video game box art was a lot more artistic. I mean look at the first two Monkey Island boxes, which appeared to be (were?) hand-painted. They were visually stunning, and there is a reason why people on here were dedicated to making full size posters of them.

Exactly. But to be fair, I'm glad they never made a MI2:SE box. That has got to be the worst box art this century so far and I would not have liked to see it next to my original. In fact the mere thought upsets me... I need a drink.

. Even the first season of Sam & Max just came in a DVD case. Nice but not big enough and not packed with enough stuff :)

Ouch! Even the false-disarming stupid forum smiley to cap it off at the end. The Season 1 DVD + Case File is probably more hours worth of special features and more feelies than any commercial adventure game has had ever, or at least in the last 15 years (other than the Season Two DVD, which has more). Sorry the box is thin and made of plastic instead of cardboard, though. :(

While Telltale doesn't offer full 1985-1995 size cardboard boxes,* we've made sure to offer hard copies of every season, and with a couple of exceptions (sorry Wallace & Gromit!) we've gone out of our way to make them as special as we can for what is ostensibly a free product. Reversible covers on the Strong Bad DVD, Steve Purcell original paintings on Sam & Max and Monkey Island, hours and of special features and original bonus content, and feelies packs and deluxe editions, etc.

If it really comes down to "the box should be big and made of cardboard because that's what I had as a kid," then I guess that's what's up, but to me it feels like you're selling folks a little bit short. I can't deny that it would be neat if Tales had a full size box just so that it could match up with the older games on a shelf (though they aren't all even the same size -- at least the versions of Curse and Escape that I have are both unique animals unfortunately), but on the other hand I would love to see a DVD-size box set of all five games, too, with each game given its own mini pull-out sleeve case featuring a reproduction of the original box. In fact I would almost prefer that.

*Note that, more or less, both before and after that reasonably small window of time, games came in small boxes.

What we really need is another giant Triangle DOTT Box. That thing honestly doesn't fit anywhere.

I'm just waiting for MI to come shipped in a stuffed monkey, or to come packed with a replica LeChuck Beard.

One thing as well, is that moreso than boxes, I miss jewel cases. I was slightly disapointed that Sam and Max season one discs came in paper sleaves as opposed to a jewel case.

Boxes/cases are nice for their simplicity and speed, but my god am I running out of shelf space — if internet connections were much faster here I'd be totally happy with going mostly digital. One day kids will look back at us with our boxed copies and think 'Wtf?' as they sit there downloading entire games in a second flat. Kind of like how many people just get tracks off iTunes and stuff nowadays rather than buying CDs. :eek:

Well, I guess it's just me..

I like CDs too :thmbup1:

While Telltale doesn't offer full 1985-1995 size cardboard boxes

That would have been amazing for the TMI Collector's Edition, though. It already came in a large box!

This is not a complaint. It was very cool of you guys to offer that for $15.

That would have been amazing for the TMI Collector's Edition, though. It already came in a large box!

This is not a complaint. It was very cool of you guys to offer that for $15.

I can't deny that would be cool! I was sad that I didn't get to work on the Tales of MI collectors edition but I think it turned out well. I can't deny, though, that I had been dreaming/scheming about marbled paint borders and other vintage LEC throwbacks.

Well, I guess it's just me..

I like CDs too :thmbup1:

Me too, every album I buy is as a CD. I also have plenty of limited edition boxes of games, etc. But they just take up so much room. I'd be just as happy if I could get all the music, games, etc in their full quality over the web quickly, but alas with current connection speeds it's often not realistic (and many content providers don't give you the option of uncompressed music anyway).

In an ideal world I'd have my digital data delivered digitally — because the fact it's stuck on a disc is only good for installing it quickly — and then maybe see more in the way of collectable art books and such (which I also have a nice collection of). Those are a lot more meaningful and enjoyable than a box IMO. Boxes are nice to have but how often does anyone actually spend with them in their hands admiring them? Not that I could bear to throw away all my classic Atari, Amiga, and PC boxes, but they really are a waste of space. I don't need a collection of like 100,000 of them building up over my lifetime. :~

Oh great haha! Mmm... where do I get such a thing... I'm obsessive about my collection and now you've gone and thrown a spanner in the works :)

Click the link. You can get it at Amazon.com :)

I got my copy at Best Buy. I've also seen it at Wal-Mart. But that was years ago. At this point, online is probably your best bet.

Archived