Home

My Only Question About This Game

Lord Foley

...is why the Dark Side ending is not the canon one. Because it's the only genuinely good moment in the game. It resolves more problems than the Light Side ending (ie where are Juno and Kota in the OT?). The Dark Clone is obviously something that needs to be resolved, but in the Light Side ending you still need to get rid of Kota before A New Hope and Vader has to get away. Dark Side ending is awesome. Why is the canon ending ALWAYS Light Side?

The two contrasting endings were not as well thought-through this time around as they were in the last one. If we are to treat the two timelines created in TFU 2 (the canon and non-canon) like with the last one, where they are both exactly the same up to the point of divergence, then the "Dark Clone" should still exist in the canon timeline. Yet, if so, then what stopped him from stabbing the "real" Starkiller in the back in both endings?

The two contrasting endings were not as well thought-through this time around as they were in the last one. If we are to treat the two timelines created in TFU 2 (the canon and non-canon) like with the last one, where they are both exactly the same up to the point of divergence, then the "Dark Clone" should still exist in the canon timeline. Yet, if so, then what stopped him from stabbing the "real" Starkiller in the back in both endings?

Just one more reason for the Dark Ending to be canon. I suppose they might argue the Dark Clone was not supposed to reveal his existence unless he absolutely had to, but things seem to turn out pretty well for the Empire when he does.

Maybe Dark Clone is banking on being able to save Vader with ease and keep himself secret all at once? Who knows. Probably not the people who wrote it.

Vader's plan may be to make it known to the Rebels that Starkiller is back, then replace him with the Dark Clone. In the DS ending the Dark Clone revealed his existence because Vader was about to get killed, but I'm guessing that in the LS ending he was there as well and just remained invisible. Wanna bet he stowed away on board the Rogue Shadow?

Vader's plan may be to make it known to the Rebels that Starkiller is back, then replace him with the Dark Clone. In the DS ending the Dark Clone revealed his existence because Vader was about to get killed, but I'm guessing that in the LS ending he was there as well and just remained invisible. Wanna bet he stowed away on board the Rogue Shadow?

That's actually not a bad explanation, but wouldn't it have been a better plan on Vader's part to use the Dark Clone to convince everyone he was Starkiller in the first place? Why risk letting the original (maybe) get loose?

Ah, but the Dark Clone couldn't convince everyone, could he? He doesn't love Juno, she'd be able to tell it's not really him.

What I love the most about Vader's plan is that it doesn't matter if Starkiller turns or not. If he does, well then Vader has two loyal and obedient Starkillers to do his bidding. But if he doesn't, he still has the Clone and the plan can proceed anyway.

If you watched the "Distant Thunder" cutscenes you unlock from beating the challenges you would know why the Dark Clone isn't in the lightside ending. But these cutscenes do strongly suggest that he is canon no matter what ending, it's just that the 'requirement' for him to appear in the lightside ending wasn't fulfilled.

Yeah, I think he's totally there and just remained invisible. More than likely then stowed away on board the Rogue Shadow. That's probably the only really clever and impressive thing I've seen in this game. You have to watch the dark side ending to understand what happened in the canon light side ending. Neat touch, that.

Weren't you listening to Kota? They're taking him to the secret Rebel base. Since the base is secret, it's a fair assumption the Empire doesn't know its location, perhaps doesn't even know of its existence. Even with Vader securely bound, I wouldn't exactly call that a bright idea. But with the Dark Clone around, probably stowed away on board the very same ship? All he needs to do is release Vader once they arrive and between the two of them they can wipe out the Rebellion right there.

That's there so that the ending makes sense on its own. We know that by Ep 4 Vader's back in his position of power, so it'd look really weird if TFU2 ended with him captured and the Rebels completely victorious.

Although now that I think about it, I do think the whole thing would've worked even better without him tailing them. In the LS ending it would seem like they're safe while the DS ending would reveal they're actually walking straight into Vader's trap. Fett's presence diminishes the impact of that realization a bit. Yes, the LS ending would be a bit odd, but who only watches one? Everyone watches both of them.

I guess it'd be odd to have Fett show up in the story, then disappear completely without having fought him, so the ending is a sequel hook, saying "hey, the fight with Fett that you were looking forward to? Yeah, you'll get it in TFU3". He isn't really needed in the story at all, Juno could've just as easily been captured by an anonymous imperial officer. But see the other thread and my comment about how every SW game has to have a Fett in it.

The SW franchise is actually starting to feel a lot like Pirates of the Caribbean. The first film was fantastic and original, but the latter two contained so many references to it and each other that it seemed like the franchise consisted of nothing but quoting itself over and over. SW is kinda getting the same way, recycling the same characters, locations, and even gimmicks like hiding a ship by attaching it to a piece of debries. In Ep 5 it was new and original, in Ep 2 it felt cheap and recycled, and now in TFU2 it's just pathetic and overused. So, we've got to have the Fett. Which means there has to be something for the Fett to do, and if that something isn't fighting, then it's got to be stalking the heroes so they can defeat (but not kill) him in the next installment.

But what requirement? What did he, Vader or the Empire gain by letting his master be captured?

Sordid pretty much explained near what I would've said, but what I meant by requirement, I meant that since Starkiller didn't go for the finishing blow in the lightside ending the Dark Clone had no reason to pop out to protect Vader. In the darkside ending, Vader was screwed, so the Dark Clone came to Vader's defense and stabbed Starkiller in the back...literally:)

Archived