Home

Dissapointment

jackb885

Don't get me wrong, the game was fun to play. WHY SO SHORT? A complete waste of money to buy, wish i had rented it now. They should seriously bring out some DLC to extend the story line and make it free as this game is not worth the money. Finished in 3-4 hours, what a shame as this game could have been so much better.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. Finally got a chance to play it today and finished it off in one sitting. Good fun for the most part while it lasted, but disgustingly short. Considering the price, I feel rather cheated. Can't say it's worth replaying either considering it's an incredibly linear game. I'll probably trade this in for something (hopefully) more worthwhile. Real shame 'cause I had high hopes for this one.

***Spoiler***

Incredibly disappointed that the whole light side/dark side thing is just the last button press of the game. That was just a huge let down.

completley agree guys.... i was so looking forward to this, and i did enjoy playing it.

But yeh, wwwwaaayyyy to short for the money you pay. Also , it didnt feel as in depth as i thought it would be . but again i did enjoy playing it. There Were some miner things

that i didnt feel lived up to their potential, e.g lightsaber customizing, the costumes..EW!

and yeh...why the heck was it so short !!!

The First one is Lightyears ahead of the second, in content, Character and Level design, length and unlockables... I mean Just Look at Fellucia on TFU, I think more work went into creating that one Planet than went into the entire production of TFU II

The First one is Lightyears ahead of the second, in content, Character and Level design, length and unlockables... I mean Just Look at Fellucia on TFU, I think more work went into creating that one Planet than went into the entire production of TFU II

Indeed. Free DLC may redeem TFU II, and even that may be a stretch.

If the first TFU is better than the sequel in any fashion, there's no way in hell I'm buying it until I can find an edition for 5 pounds.

Well, Lucasarts finally did it!!! I didn't think it was possible...

This is the first Star Wars game (excluding the obvious kid games) that didn't get me salivating to get it, TFU 1 made me go with the wait and see aproach, and it looks like i'm gonna be waiting some more...

Indeed. Free DLC may redeem TFU II, and even that may be a stretch.

I seriously doubt that. The DLC would have to be about the same length as the game itself to even get TFU2 on the same level as TFU1.

It would also have to get rid of all those annoying enemies that they included in TFU2 and bring back the fun ones from TFU1 that they didn't.

In short, no chance in hell.

It would be nice for TFU3, if it's made(LA still figuring it out), that it included the length(hopefully longer) and "enemy-diversity" of TFU1, and the graphics and smoother gameplay of TFU2, with cutscenes the same as TFU2's quality(god they were a pleasure to watch) OR if they were the quality of the TFU2 trailers and TV spots, but I'm fine with the former.

I'm not sure I want to bother with TFU2...LA needs to export their next TFU project to Bioware or someone who can make a better kicker out of it. Somethin a bit similar to Enemy Territory: Quake Wars--that game was a lot of fun.

A powerful Force-user like Starkiller fighting with the rebels on Hoth...I wonder if LA's even making much effort to get their creative muscle flexed.

It's really odd, this series. Having recently played both TFU and TFU2, I've come to appreciate them both for their own merits. Yes, TFU2 has a stupid, underdeveloped story and is inexcusably short, but the gameplay itself is much smoother than in the first one. Playing TFU again, I'm quite surprised how much such a simple thing as the inability to move while blocking breaks up the gameplay and makes the whole thing feel much more disjointed and unpolished in comparison to the second game.

But it's like a lot of sequels of good games that try to make changes for no other reason than to make some changes, to not seem like more of the same. All of the things that were annoying in the first one have been fixed or at least significantly improved (such as the awful, awful targeting system, or replacing the useless lightning shield with mindtrick), while all of the things that were good (ie. the story, level design, enemy types, customizability of the character and his lightsaber) went down the drain. It's the exact same thing as the Elder Scrolls series, where the third and fourth installments follow the same formula but still manage to be polar opposites of each other in many respects.

I've come to believe that between them, these games have the ingredients for the perfect SW action game. Basically take TFU2, gut it, throw away all the garbage content, and have its engine run the levels of TFU1. I would totally buy that, for full price even, even knowing that I'm essentially buying something I already have.

Yeeeeaaaah, dream on.

I actually think that, if you can overlook the silliness of the whole cloning thing, TFU2 had a better story than TFU. No, I'm not going to say it was amazing or anything; and yes, it was still awful. But TFU was a bit over-the-top: you fight your way to the Death Star and battle Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. Seems a little unbelievably ambitious considering it's set smack dab in the middle of the Star Wars saga. The player fights all the way to the top, and inevitably either has to die (as with the light side ending) or break with canon (as with the dark side), both of which were ridiculously predictable.

TFU2, on the other hand, is much simpler and, in my opinion, easier to swallow: Vader tries the same failed thing over and over again (the dictionary definition of insanity, by the way), namely raising a secret apprentice--the exact same apprentice, no less, who "failed" him catastrophically. Starkiller longs for his lost love, finds her, loses her, and then fights to save her. Vader uses her life to force Starkiller's hand against the Rebellion, and then seemingly kills Juno when she stands up for him. Starkiller retaliates, thirsty for revenge.

It's a simpler formula but far more likely, in my opinion.

As for the game play, I agree that it is far more polished than in the previous installment. My only complaints are twofold: 1) Those giant spider-like robots that look like General Grievous. I hate those things! I wish their combat style was a little more thought-out. 2) Force grip on higher levels. In TFU, we had the luxury of choosing whether we wanted to grip just one or more than one object by holding down either one or both of the triggers. Now we have no choice. If you hold down one trigger and there is more than one grippable object in sight, they all float together, whether you like it or not. It's not so bad with smaller object but a bit of a pain with larger ones, as well as explosives.

All-in-all, I am not disappointed with The Force Unleashed II. With both games, I maintained realistic expectations and got exactly what I had anticipated: two extremely fun games. My biggest letdown is--as most people have said--the length of the game. Having read the novel, one would expect the game to be just as long as the previous game (which was also considerably short), but it wasn't.

Well speaking of predictability, the entirety of SW canon prior to Ep 4 falls into that trap, doesn't it? I mean, Palpatine will win, the Jedi will lose, anyone alive in the OT will survive, and anyone else will get either killed off or put on ice.

Yes, the story of TFU1 was ridiculously over the top, but that's precisely why I was able to enjoy it. TFU1 is like Monty Python and the Holy Grail and TFU2 is like Kingdom of Heaven. Both have knights and kings and swords and all that stuff (but not horses), but the first one doesn't take itself at all seriously, it just throws reason and historical accuracy out the window and goes completely berserk with the material. And you don't care, you just go with it and enjoy the ride. The second one tries to be more plausible, more serious, but all that accomplishes is that the flaws that you happily ignored in the silly one stand out and bother you all the more.

Case in point, invisible soldiers. In Ep 5, the point is made that no ship as small as the Millenium Falcon could possibly have a cloaking device. But in TFU2, we have the Terror Troopers, individual soldiers equipped with invisibility devices. That bothered me to no end, and only when replaying TFU1 today did I realize that that also has invisible soldiers. It didn't even occur to me at all when I played it the first time, I happily ignored it and enjoyed the over the top slaughterfest.

In short, Starkiller is a huge Mary Sue in TFU1, both in terms of his powers and also his accomplishments within the story. The problem with TFU2 is that it tries to give him some actual character and development, which requires that you accept and take seriously his history, which is just impossible because of how overblown everything about him is.

Also, running with two lightsabers in reverse grip just looks silly. What're they going to give him in TFU3, lightsaber-chucks?

I finally got around to buying The Force Unleashed for the Xbox 360 yesterday. I found the original version of The Force Unleashed for the 360 at Deep Discount.com for $17.19 and free shipping. So I figured I would pick it up since its been two years since it came out and I've waited long enough to play it. I should get it in the mail next week. The Force Unleashed II the reviews I've read about it are not good. I will wait until it comes down to $20 before I get it.

Archived