Home

We will remember.

Astor

Today is Armistice Day in Europe, Remembrance Day in the UK and Commonwealth, and Veteran's Day in the US.

I think it's important that, irrespective of our own views of war, past or present, we take some time to reflect on those who have paid the heaviest price in the service of their country, even in the face of the senseless slaughter of the early 20th Century.

This should not be a day for sides, or patriotic chest-thumping; rather it is a chance to remember those men and women buried at home and overseas who shall never grow old, having made the ultimate sacrifice.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Lest we forget.

RIP

PFC Jutras

CPL Shea

SGT Regan

CPL Dillon

SGT Ganczewski

SGT Rudd

CPL McGhee

CPL Kopp

All good men, and great Rangers. I miss you all, brothers. Even Ricky's damn country music, and Tim's propensity for lewd jokes related to people's mothers. Being told of, and in some cases witnessing, your deaths ranks high in the most painful events of my life. Sua Sponte, brothers.

To all others who have served overseas, especially those who never made it home, I salute you.

To all those servicepeople who gave their lives over generations, we honour you. To all those who have lost family members to war, you are in our thoughts. To those who have served and who serve today, no matter what may be thought of the politics behind the war you fight, you are held in the highest regard. We will remember you.

I wear my poppy proudly, and remember as well in my own family what I have been told of the experiences of my great-great uncle, who fought and was wounded and taken POW in the Great War, my great-grandfather who was a Royal Marine in the same, and other relatives who served in the Army, in the Royal Navy, and in the Merchant Navy in the Great War and the Second World War.

Had little choice but to work today, because I'll starve if I don't.

Thank you Timothy Smith, RIP:

I knew you from elementary school and many years later we hung out briefly in high school. Surprised we recognized each other. Though I didn't know you as well as some, you and your sense of humor will be missed. I'm sure your mom and little brother miss you, too.

Here's to all who served and paid the ultimate price.

:patriot:

We must never take for granted the ultimate sacrifice that was paid and is still being paid by those in service. It is because of them that we can live lives of freedom, without having to fear for our lives or struggle to survive. To all those who have served or are in the service, I say thank you for what you have done. Let us never forget. RIP Grandfather, we will not forget.

A bit late, but thank you to my grandpas and my father-in-law who served in World War II, my dad who served in the Navy in the early 60's, and in particular my Great-Uncle Ken Cady, who was wounded twice in the Battle of the Bulge and died in Germany in 1945 from a sniper shot.

I also thank my husband, Point Man, for serving in the Army. Keep up the good work, honey! You're an awesome example of an excellent soldier to those around you. :)

A bit late, but thank you to my grandpas and my father-in-law who served in World War II, my dad who served in the Navy in the early 60's, and in particular my Great-Uncle Ken Cady, who was wounded twice in the Battle of the Bulge and died in Germany in 1945 from a sniper shot.

I also thank my husband, Point Man, for serving in the Army. Keep up the good work, honey! You're an awesome example of an excellent soldier to those around you. :)

Also too late to be proper, but I gave thanks to both of my grandpas, who like yours Jae served in WWII as well as a two more step grandpas. My dads father, Glen, also was wounded by gun and shrapnel fire in the Battle of the Bulge with your great uncle, and although he lost half of his left foot to gangrene from trenchfoot and had only one lung and half a ribcage from his wounds, he lived to be 78. To my father Jim who served in Vietnam, and to young men like Point Man around the world who serve now, I give my thanks and reverence for your sacrifice!

Archived