Home

L.A. Noire - Not vapourware after all (apparently)

DarthParametric

I don't know if it's free roam to the extent of something on the level of GTA. Maybe it's more akin to something like Mafia 2. There is a set of collectibles in the form of gold film canisters to find and achievements for driving fast and certain distances, which could imply some level of freedom to explore between story missions.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:eyeraise:

No more interwebz for you until you've played GTA IV. Mimi, tell him!

I didn't want to play it, but Achilles made me play it. :xp:

It was a blast. :thmbup1: Play it, play it now.

:lol: Sorry.. I must still be gun-shy.

Got duped by the reviews of Red Dead and thought I was going to get an awesome game. Fool me once... :¬:

one of the reasons why I don't fan-rage on Bio/Beth haters. Fanboi that I am, I can at least empathize :xp:

It's not developed by Rockstar - they are just publishing/distributing it. Team Bondi are the devs.

That's promising :D

Because of the computer I'm on, I'm not able to watch the trailers (so forgive me if I'm pointing out a plot point they've already shown), but reading that it's set in 1947 LA, I can't help but assume the Black Dahlia murder will be included at some point. I could be wrong, but it would almost be wasting the setting to not include one of the most infamous unsolved crimes of the 20th century, that happened in the same year and city the game is set during. If they have a whole 'investigate crime scene for evidence' mechanic, and include Elizabeth Short, that scene's going to be unpleasant to see.

Yeah the central plot is based around a series Black Dahlia-style murders from what I understand. It's not the exact case, but heavily influenced by it.

To be fair, that might be for the best, considering leaving the crime unsolved wouldn't be an especially satisfying ending, and there's been enough books and films about it to make tying it up with any originality difficult.

Copycat killings, or completely separate ones, could allow for a more satisfying conclusion. Also, if the Dahlia was in the plot as a background element, it could explain why you're jetting around the city doing everything yourself (or with less assistance than in most investigations). After all, most of the department would be tied up in the case that's getting all the media attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you're getting the clues to a much greater mystery all along the way... liked what I saw, though I still don't like the all too familiar GTA parts of the game. After so many years with it, I'm kinda getting a little sick of seeing it.

Hopefully it does feel different when playing though and whatever similarities I see are purely superficial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've managed to play a few hours this afternoon (up to being promoted to Traffic), and I'm really impressed so far, especially with the quality of the facial animations, and the voice acting in general.

I haven't followed this game much over the last few months, so I was bit surprised that the game seems to span 3 discs, but if they're all as good as what I've played so far, then going through them should be a breeze.

Sandbox games have never been of much interest to me (whether it's the RPG kind like Oblivion or the action-adventure kind like GTA). But Rockstar got my approval with Red Dead Redemption. And LA Noire seems to confirm my newfound appreciation for Rockstar. Won't be able to play until the end of June, sadly, but I'm looking forward to it. Hope that overheating bug is fixed by then...

Investigating a scene (finding clues) - Sometimes fun and interesting but mostly just tedious.

Interrogations : Fun. I think, with the facial animation, they did well in trying to get you to think like a real detective!

Combat: Think Red Dead, just less weapons, and just less of the combat in general.

Chases: .........It's just a chase. I don't really think its good OR bad.

car chases: fun, id say. not terribly, but a bit.

The cases as a whole: Fun and interesting.

The game is difficult to get into but once you're into it I find you really get into the detective spirit.

3/5 id say.

EDIT: While logical, getting a lower case report if you end up running over civvies, is incredibly annoying. In all seriousness, I find civillian response in the game to be incredibly annoying. im in a car chase, siren blaring, and there's just some random guy strolling across the road...no glance..

Yeah I was getting all sorts of PM to my inbox on my youtube acct. from various other channels wanting me to check out vids and to go get my pre order before its release.

Guess with a name like "GTA(anything)" that's just asking for advertisements. :rolleyes:

I usually reserve judgment and wait to buy. And I don't care if they say I'm "jew"ing them. Actually with jewish in my family I take it as a compliment. :D

Overall I really enjoyed it. I thought the ending was a little odd, though. Well, not the entire ending, but

wasting people with a flamethrower seemed a little strange

Now I have an urge to play it again to get 5 star ratings on every case.

I quit half way in to disc 2, it became very repetitive and tedious quite early on, the amount of work that went in to making this giant detailed GTA type map was a complete waste of time and advertising lol, after the 3rd or 4th mission I just got my Partner to drive...

Graphics: 4/5

Interrogation: Cool, but the same for 20+ hours, so a possible 5/5, becomes 2/5

Combat: 1/5

Acting: 4/5

Re-playability: 0/5 (IMO)

One of the very few games I've owned and cannot bring myself to complete.

Archived