Home

Endor DLC announced!!!, New Skins Pack for 1$

deesnyder

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's pretty sweet that both DLC will be $1 each, so thats 80msp a piece. I was thinking that only the skin pack would be $1 and the Endor level would be $10 like the Jedi Temple level for TFU1. I think that's the least LA can do with all of the hate they've been getting the past month. Seriously though, the people that want it free, be real. C'mon it's just ONE dollar, TWO if you want everything.

they should also add the Maulkiller skin as well, and make all the crystals & skins available when they bring it out

Yeah that would be cool, as well as making all of the extra challenge levels available in these DLC packs. But I got Maulkiller when I got the game from gamestop and it's not very special.

Eh, the problem with Sith robes is that they're all the same, a hooded black bath robe. Sometimes the robe's shorter or has more belts underneath it, sometimes there's a mask under the hood, but basically it's just variations on the same theme.

I actually really liked the Kota costume, with its weird half-skirt. Too bad it has Kota's face as well, I would've much preferred to have Starkiller just wearing the clothes but keeping his own face.

Yeah. I don't really see the point of these bonus missions that are based on a non-canon ending. Wouldn't it be better to spend the time and resources making the main story missions longer, better, and more numerous?

Same goes for challanges. They're actually a really cheap trick. In terms of level design they're extremely primitive and easy to make, but by making them super hard and requiring players to practice them a lot they make it seem like there's more in the game than is actually the case. Lots of game time for minimal developer effort. Just my opinion, but I don't like that. My idea of fun doesn't include grinding the same three rooms of enemies over and over, trying to dispatch them 0.003 seconds faster than my current record so that I get a platinum rating.

In terms of outfits, why exactly can't we assemble our own from bits? Jedi Academy had that, what, seven years ago? I guess that's lost technology now.

What I would absolutely love to see is a game with Kotor-style story, dialog, inventory, and level design, but TFU-like combat instead of the lame turb-based mess Kotor itself had. Mass Effect did that for first person shooters, I think it's about time somebody did it for hack and slash as well.

Yeah. I don't really see the point of these bonus missions that are based on a non-canon ending. Wouldn't it be better to spend the time and resources making the main story missions longer, better, and more numerous?

This DLC was probably originally intended for TFU but since they have already released TFU2, it most likely was reworked to fit into the non-canon ending for TFU2.

LA may still make DLCs to continue with the canon story line, especially if TFU3 really is canceled, but who knows.

This DLC was probably originally intended for TFU but since they have already released TFU2, it most likely was reworked to fit into the non-canon ending for TFU2.

LA may still make DLCs to continue with the canon story line, especially if TFU3 really is canceled, but who knows.

The notion of "canon" when it comes to the video games doesn't really matter much to me. As long as it has a "Star Wars feel" to it, I'm in, but what really matters is good gameplay.

The whole "Starkiller" storyline is wildly out of sync with the "canon" anyway, that Vader had a secret apprentice that was basically the most dramatically powerful Force user to ever exist (short of the jacked up Emperor from the Dark Empire series). I remember the good ol' days when Kyle Katarn was considered "over-powered." ;)

It was clever to give him the name formerly used by Luke, and before that the "ancient" Jedi father who was akin to a mythical god character from the early script drafts of the first movie. But beyond that, is it a fun game?

The bonus scenarios are just that, bonus levels. So whether they tie with the main story or not I think is less important. Making it tie in with one of the endings makes it extra cool for those who enjoyed that strand of the SP campaign and just "want more," but I don't see why starting over is that big a deal.

That's why we like addon maps for single player games, because there's fun stuff to be had. We don't just throw them away because they didn't continue with the ending we liked better, or worse... the "canon" ending.

Think back to the original Mortal Kombat games. In MK II, we're supposed to believe that Lui Kang won the tournament and basically only Sub-Zero died. But in the original game it's quite clear that you can kill everyone else and win yourself, regardless of what character you have, and you get an ending. My enjoyment of that game isn't diminished in the least because of the way the future games took the story. If somebody made an MK game now that ignored some previous entry (or entries) in the series, I wouldn't be upset (unless they pretended it wasn't out of continuity). They made a game where the MK characters fight DC super heroes and villains.

So I understand the desire to "know" which parts of the missions flow together with the others, but otherwise I don't care, as long as it's fun.

I don't think it's fair to compare TFU to Mortal Kombat in terms of the importance of the story.

As for why 'we' like addon maps for single player games, I for one don't, precisely because they don't tie in with the rest of the game. They're just slapped on as an afterthought, and that's just lazy. Yes, they're well done, yes, they're fun to play, but I think gaming has evolved somewhat in the past decades and these things are not enough anymore. I remember very well the days of yore when most games didn't even bother with a story and good gameplay was all that was needed. You could fight random stuff like magical brooms that chase you around and nobody thought to question the why or how of it because everyone understood that slow computers and small development teams simply weren't capable of providing that kind of depth. That's not the case anymore, and TFU does give us a story that provides the background for our actions in the game. I think if you go that route, if you decide to build your game around a story, then it ought to be done well. Saying "oh screw it" halfway through and making the rest of the levels random and unconnected is just lazy.

What really ticked me off was the gorog scene where starkiller deals the final blow... I mentioned this in one my earlier posts... Its an exact ditto version of the wolverine dealing the final blow to an experimental mark 1 sentinel(see x-men origins wolverine)

Watch this:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfyp58CjBKM ...

You see??? I mean people who support this game blindly just decided to look past this... Gamespot which is known for its blunt reviews actually overlooked this... Not to the mention the doors with the detachable cells on the salvation... that too was copied...

I actually remember hayden in an interview(about 4 or 3 years ago before the release of TFU 1) talking about how kota is this samurai style jedi and how he doesn't give a damn about lightside, darkside etc etc... yes he actually mentioned that... All i saw was kota preaching like a saint about the lightside in both games...

I agree with sordid here... It was complete laziness on the developers part... guess hayden was smoking pure afghan for the last two years... although that should've given him some ideas :confused:

It's good to see everyone voicing their dislikes aloud here...

Dude, it's not that people ignore it; it's that they either don't know about it or don't care. This is the first time I've heard of this (and frankly, I'm not entirely convinced it even is a ripoff. It's not exactly the first time anyone's ever thought to have a free-fall sequence; and I didn't think the way the bosses were tackled at the end were all that similar). The Wolverine movie was utter crap, so I doubt a great many people played the game adaptation in the first place.

You might be right in that it could very well be taken from that other game, but it could also simply be coincidence. As I said, free-falling sequences where the player dodges debris aren't exactly a rare thing; and the boss at the end, well, I frankly don't see enough evidence to support that it is a direct ripoff. But even if it is, I don't mind. As the old proverb goes, there isn't anything new under the sun.

What I would absolutely love to see is a game with Kotor-style story, dialog, inventory, and level design, but TFU-like combat instead of the lame turb-based mess Kotor itself had. Mass Effect did that for first person shooters, I think it's about time somebody did it for hack and slash as well.

I always dreamed of this, ever since i played Deus Ex, "how awesome would be Jedi Knight game with this features".

Anyway, people are already starting to do it, it's called Assassin's Creed.

Depending on your point of view Batman Arkham Asylum (it's a hero that has some tricks that could equate with powers) is that kinda game aswell.

As always lucasarts is a bit behind the curve, maybe it will happen once they drop the TFU franchise.

That proverb is a load of bull, given that we have computers and stuff people a hundred years ago couldn't even dream of.

Anyway, if anything, that bit where a smaller character flies weapon-first right through a huge character is ripped from any number of anime shows. Which is appropriate, given that Ep 4 was a rip off of Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress.

@Kenobi: Ya, AC's great, but it doesn't have lightsabers or magic powers. And it's focused heavily on stealth. Which is fun, but not very starwarsy. Although now that I think about it, a Jedi stealth game might actually be pretty good. They're acrobatic, they can use mindtrick and stuff, there's a lot of potential for a stealth-based game. And it would be more in tune with the films. Kenobi didn't go slashing up stormtroopers left and right on the Death Star, he managed to sneak about completely unnoticed.

No I didn't. "Nothing old under the sun" isn't any more true.

It's true for what was being discussed. In this case, the free-falling sequence.

And regarding Ep. IV, there's a difference between being based on something (which was the case), and being a rip off.

How exactly can a sweeping, generalized statement be true for one particular instance and not for another? Precisely because it's sweeping and generalized with words like "everything" and "nothing" it's either true in all cases or simply false. You may try to argue as much as you want, but there's no escaping the fact that seeing one instance of an idea recycled and re-used and concluding that therefore all ideas are endlessly recycled and no new ones are created is just patently absurd. I have a particular kind of disdain for sayings like this, precisely because of this. They seem wise and timeless, but when you examine them closely they turn out to be nothing but inane drivel. I believe each idea deserves to be judged on its own merits rather than be subjected to such generalizations. Thought-stopping cliche, I believe the pop-psychology term is. Feel free to disagree, as usual my feelings won't be hurt in the slightest.

Yes, there is a difference. Namely that the latter involves shamelessly re-using elements of the original work without giving any kind of acknowledgement within the new work itself.

Archived