Home

yay and nay survey: TOR

Darth Avlectus

Are you happy about the upcoming MMO SWTOR so far?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy about the upcoming MMO SWTOR so far?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Unsure.
    • Changed my mind from previously (specify why, either way)
    • Yoda's Dead Raccoons Roadkill Bar'n'Grill :xp:

I'm pretty disappointed that they decided to go the MMO route on the series... especially 300-some years after the events of KOTOR. If it were set immediately after TSL, I may have considered buying it, but I really wish it was another single-player RPG.

I kinda hope it crashes and burns and they make the sequel everyone has been waiting for.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the "No" crowd. The reasons:

1) It doesn't really look like the "Old" Republic with those ship, Jedi and trooper designs.

2) It's an MMO, which is just not my cup of tea when it comes to video game genres for many reasons I don't care to repeat.

Still, I hope those who do decide to play it will have a good time. As for me, I'll stick to single player RPGs (and other genres) which don't require monthly subscriptions in order to play. :)

I started off firmly in the 'nay' camp, then moved to the 'surely it can't be that bad' camp, then the 'yay' camp, and now I don't know where I am.

I'll definitely be making use of the free trial period, at least.

I don't like how they've gone from the 'we took inspiration from the films' position, as they had with KOTOR, to this position of 'We've just taken everything from the films and changed it slightly', but if it plays well enough I might be convinced to give it longer than the trial.

But it's a rather colossal 'might'.

Yay by default though I voted unsure since I have no MMORPG experience. LucasArts has no other games I'm interested in and as far as I can tell it's not likely that LucasArts will publish a Star Wars game I'm interested in playing in the near future. Thus TOR will be the only way for me to get a fresh Star Wars gaming fix cuz replaying KotOR and TSL only makes me wish for KotOR 3 and after 3+ years of that torture I'm through. Through I say!!!

I like it for a few key reasons.

a) Playing with friends: I have a good group of 3 friends who I know for sure will get this, and I know at least two will play it all the time with me. And I have 3-4 other friends who might get it.

b) Bioware: Everything they touch is gold. I will trust whatever they do. I wasn't going to get Dragon Age before. Now I've learned my lesson.

c) It's not just any MMO: From what I have either seen or heard, this seems like it is much better than any MMO. I have always hated MMO's because of a lack of story. I had loved the other parts about it (player vs player, merchanting, crafting, playing with people, clans), but without a decent story mode those games all seem empty. This game is almost guarenteed to have a good story (decent at worst). And the added elements will hopefully increase it's long term appeal.

I understand the other side of the argument, but the key point here is letter b. It won't fail us...

@Ztalker - Your Activision comment can be misinterpreted. EA has already done that with madden. If you get a new copy you do not have to pay for the online. It is a code that allows you to access the online features. If you buy a used copy you will not recieve this code. Instead you have to purchase it from the marketplace or store for around ten extra dollars. It isn't a monthly fee though. Activision would have done the same thing. It wouldn't effect me since I got the game at the midnight release, but the reason I have a problem with it because it then gets more people to buy used copies which gives even more money to the producers, and less money to the distibuters. And there is already a large margin. Rightfully earned, but it should not be taken advantage of like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Voted "unsure" because:

(1) Like the above poster said, everything Bioware touches is gold.

(2) However, I'm desperately disappointed that there will not be a third SPRPG continuing the Revan/Exile storyline. I'm also disappointed that they seemed to have made the "True Sith" into just another bunch of your typical Sithy bad guys. KOTOR2 led me to believe the True Sith were something... different...

(3) And lastly, I can't afford a monthly subscription. :p

Maybe the MMO will turn out to be good, and if it does, great. Still, I don't think I'm gonna get over being denied KOTOR3 anytime soon! *sigh*

Not at all. When someone first told me it would be an MMO about five years ago, I was hoping I had heard wrong...but no...

Sorry MMOs are just not my cup of tea. I play games very irregularly and when I do, I often don't have internet access or very limited access so it's just not worth it (and I have no interest in spending time playing MMOs either).

Not at all. When someone first told me it would be an MMO about five years ago, I was hoping I had heard wrong...but no...

Sorry MMOs are just not my cup of tea. I play games very irregularly and when I do, I often don't have internet access or very limited access so it's just not worth it (and I have no interest in spending time playing MMOs either).

I was worried you were shutting this thread down--not sure why you gave me that vibe.

Yeah, the irregular playing is starting to become my life as well. Can't keep up with it, speaking for myself personally.

Trying not to knock it before I try it, and I want to try it out, but it just doesn't seem like it would work for me.

Nay. The problem being that everything looks like it is from Episodes 4,5, and 6. The Republic troops look like clones. The Sith look like Imperials. In the Hope trailer the main soldier also bore too much resemblance to Jango Fett. It seems they took a rich unexplored environment of the Star Wars universe and filled it with Episode 4,5, and 6 looking characters.

FYI The sith are imps. This is the begining of the empire. For me I say YAY!!!!!!!!! It looks awesome.:thmbup1::thmbup1::thmbup1:

I voted unsure, because it looks WAYYYY too much like the movies, the lightsabers don't look like lightsabers, and I think that the lightsaber hilts look WAY too thick.(plus, I secretly hope it fails miserably so we can get K3.) On the other hand, I think this will be marginally good.

You do realize that if it does fail miserably, it will seal the fate of K3 as well, as the marketing guys would simply say that there isn't enough interest in the KotOR series to justify making another game. There MIGHT be a K3 if people play it and leave after completing the main campaign(s). Though admittedly, TOR means there most likely will not ever be a KotOR 3. But those wanting to play it without a monthly fee, have hope. There might be an emulator that comes out a couple years after the official game does.

Archived