Home

yay and nay survey: TOR

Darth Avlectus

Are you happy about the upcoming MMO SWTOR so far?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy about the upcoming MMO SWTOR so far?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Unsure.
    • Changed my mind from previously (specify why, either way)
    • Yoda's Dead Raccoons Roadkill Bar'n'Grill :xp:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going with a tentative "yea".

I should point out that I would have preferred a proper KotOR III, but I think an MMO does have its advantages and if anything I'm curious to see how it turns out.

What I'm mostly looking forward to is the scope. I really like how you can visit different planets in KotOR, but sometimes it feels too restrictive. Or rather, it made me wish I could explore more of the Galaxy. I haven't read that much about SWTOR, but I think it's safe to assume that the world should be pretty large and I'm looking forward to hitting all those planets. I'm a long-time fan of the Warcraft universe and what I liked the most in WoW was being able to explore the whole of Azeroth. I'm hoping to get a similar feeling in SWTOR.

It should also allow us to see the Galaxy from the eyes of a grunt. Most Star Wars games put us in the shoes of a larger-than-life hero - which is in accordance with the source material and is fine with me. But SWTOR should allow us to see things with a different perspective and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm a bit disappointed that they're basically sticking to the holy trinity approach (there are variations, but it remains a trinity), but to be honest I've yet to see a different system that truly works. It might not be glamorous to wish for no innovation in the core gameplay, but I forgive them for playing it safe in that area.

Their focus on story and dialogues naturally appeals to me, though I often wonder how the average MMO player will react. From my experience in other MMOs, I don't think the bulk of the player base is really interested in interacting with dialogues and such. Sometimes I get the feeling that they're aiming the game at a very niche market, which might not work in their favour.

The biggest downside for me is that my free time is extremely limited (and nearly non-existent for some extended periods of time), and that obviously doesn't go well with MMOs. It's still possible to enjoy one, but you don't really get the feeling that you get your money's worth. Also, it's rather hard to get involved in the end-game and with guilds when you lapse every 2 months. When I was actively playing WoW, it was common for me to play a month or 2, then go on a break for 3 months; that doesn't do wonders to the community aspect.

So overall, I'm looking forward to it. I know I won't be able to experience it fully because of my time constraints, but I think it should provide me with a decent amount of fun. I have to say that I'm really starving for some Star Wars entertainment right now, and at this point in time the game would have to be really bad for me not to enjoy it.

The Yuuzhan Vong were the most over the top villains I've -ever- seen, and that's saying something.

That said, I'm pleased with TOR. I honestly think that TSL should never have been made, or at least, it shouldn't have been a nearly direct followup to Knights of the Old Republic. We've got 4000 years of history to work with, there's no reason to restrict yourself to that same block. It's not like Knights of the Old Republic didn't wrap everything up with a nice neat bow at the end - the Sith were defeated/dominant, and Revan was awesome. Roll credits.

Archived