Home

Starkiller Can Fly? O_o

starkiller1157

Yeah, he's falling at an angle, which is actually possible in real life. Take a look at wingsuits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingsuit_flying Essentially just some cloth between your legs and between your arms and torso, and it enables you to easily get a glide ratio of 2.5:1, ie. you move 2.5 times further forwards than you do downwards. With the amount of exaggeration that goes on everywhere in this game, that scene doesn't really strike me as exceptionally implausible (stress on compared to the rest of the game).

You don't need the EU for that, take a look at Windu leaping from Dooku's observation balkony in Ep2. I'd say a fall like that would kill or at least completely cripple an ordinary human being but Windu not only isn't bothered by it at all, he even takes his robe off while in mid-air. He's clearly not only able to survive such falls but proficient in it to such a degree that he doesn't even need to concentrate and can afford to multi-task.

Yeah, he's falling at an angle, which is actually possible in real life. Take a look at wingsuits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingsuit_flying

That's pretty cool.

he's falling, but probably used the force to control his falling.

btw, every jedi could fly if they would use telekinesis on themselfs

I guess I always thought force users could only jump high or fall down and land easily. The word "fly" never came to me, until I saw Starkiller do it. I guess it seems strange to me is all *shrugs*

take a look at Windu leaping from Dooku's observation balkony in Ep2. I'd say a fall like that would kill or at least completely cripple an ordinary human being but Windu not only isn't bothered by it at all,

We know Jedi can use the force to slow themselves down, even in a fall-although why obi-wan didn't in the phantom menace.

I just never would of thought possible for a Jedi to burst out of a ship and basically fly right next to it. That seems way out there, to me.

We know Jedi can use the force to slow themselves down, even in a fall-although why obi-wan didn't in the phantom menace.

Because TPM has by far the stupidest, most inconsistent writing in the whole hexalogy. You might as well ask how come Qui-Gon and Maul managed to go through all the red forcefields even though they went slowly on account of trying to slice each other up, whereas Obi-Wan didn't make it even though he ran and had nothing to slow him down. Or, for that matter, why didn't he use his super-speed that the film establishes right in the beginning he has. Or what those red force fields were there for in the first place...

Or why the room they were in earlier has narrow walkways suspended a hundred meters high with no safety features whatsoever. Apparently the Naboo haven't developed handrail technology yet.

I think TFU2 is the result of exactly the same kind of reasoning that produced TPM. Nevermind whether it's consistent, plausible, or makes any sense. It looks cool and that's what matters. Fortunately it works a lot better in videogame format than it did in film format.

You might as well ask how come Qui-Gon and Maul managed to go through all the red forcefields even though they went slowly on account of trying to slice each other up, whereas Obi-Wan didn't make it even though he ran and had nothing to slow him down.
Um, I don't see what the problem is here. Jinn/Maul come up to the barriers and they open, and move through and the eventually close. At one point while the closeup is on them you can see Kenobi running waaaaay in the distance. Then a short time later you see he is closer but not there yet. Then finally when he gets there the barrier closes. Seems to make sense to me.

Or, for that matter, why didn't he use his super-speed that the film establishes right in the beginning he has.
The real answer is because the plot demanded he be separated from Jinn. But this is a typical problem with superhero-ish stories. People can always find another way powers could be used to solve a problem. But you can always come up with some reason. Maybe, since using the Force takes effort, Kenobi was saving that effort for fighting Maul, and thought he could make it in time by normal running, which he almost did. I'm sure someone else could come up with another reason.

Or what those red force fields were there for in the first place...

Or why the room they were in earlier has narrow walkways suspended a hundred meters high with no safety features whatsoever. Apparently the Naboo haven't developed handrail technology yet.

Such walkways are everywhere in SW. Everywhere. Naboo, Death Star, Coruscant apartments, etc. Just a stylistic choice. My theory is that the galaxy is more like Sweden than America in that you can't just sue the pants off everyone when you do something stupid like falling off a ledge with no railing. :)

Um, I don't see what the problem is here. Jinn/Maul come up to the barriers and they open, and move through and the eventually close. At one point while the closeup is on them you can see Kenobi running waaaaay in the distance. Then a short time later you see he is closer but not there yet. Then finally when he gets there the barrier closes. Seems to make sense to me.

Not so. Maul and Jinn enter the corridor just as the barriers open, with Kenobi in the distance. Then the barriers close, trapping Jin and Maul in the last and second to last compartments. Kenobi is shown stopping outside just as the first barrier closes right in front of him. Then as the barriers open again, Kenobi starts running at full pelt and manages to get to the last compartment, ie. as far as Maul did while fending off Jinn.

Watch it here:

The real answer is because the plot demanded he be separated from Jinn.

Well obviously, but good films tend to give justifications for stuff that go beyond that and actually make sense within the fictional reality.

Kenobi thought he could make it in time by normal running, which he almost did.

Yeeeaaaah, good call, Benny boy! :thmbup1:

I'm not sure that's true at all.

Which one do you think is stupider, then? IMO Eps 2 and 3, while by no means brilliant masterpieces, weren't nearly as bad. Surely you're not thinking of the original trilogy?

Well obviously, but good films tend to give justifications for stuff that go beyond that and actually make sense within the fictional reality.

What about him being already tired?

Which one do you think is stupider, then? IMO Eps 2 and 3, while by no means brilliant masterpieces, weren't nearly as bad. Surely you're not thinking of the original trilogy?

None. Just because I don't think TPM has stupid or inconsistent writing, doesn't mean I think there's one movie that has it. And for your information, the OT is not without some plot holes.

What about him being already tired?

From what, standing in front of a closed force field? If he was so tired that he couldn't run such a short distance, then I'd say rushing into a life or death lightsaber fight would be rather foolish. Not to mention that he did quite well in that fight, indicating that he had plenty of energy left.

More to the point, you may be able to come up with a plausible reason for why he didn't make it (and why the force fields were there in the first place). But that's still only speculation, it's not given in the movie. And given how critical this moment was in the plot and outcome of the film, I'd say it should have been given.

I don't think TPM has stupid or inconsistent writing.

Ah. In that case I'll let Mr. Plinkett do the explaining: http://www.redlettermedia.com/phantom_menace.html

And for your information, the OT is not without some plot holes.

Oh certainly, but none are significant enough to detract from the quality of the movie and the experience of the viewer (as evidenced by the fact that I can't recall any besides Kenobi addressing Vader "Darth", as if that was a first name). IMO the holes in TPM are much more gaping.

From what, standing in front of a closed force field? If he was so tired that he couldn't run such a short distance, then I'd say rushing into a life or death lightsaber fight would be rather foolish. Not to mention that he did quite well in that fight, indicating that he had plenty of energy left.

Energy (or rage) brought by the death of his master. Was that so hard to understand? He didn't used Force speed because he was tired. Yet he tried to help his master in the duel but got caught by the last field. The rest comes to what I've mentioned before.

More to the point, you may be able to come up with a plausible reason for why he didn't make it (and why the force fields were there in the first place). But that's still only speculation, it's not given in the movie. And given how critical this moment was in the plot and outcome of the film, I'd say it should have been given.

Why the force fields were there? Security, perhaps. Not everything has to be explained in a movie. Do you question why did the Death Star arrived right behind Yavin? Or why there are so few TIE fighters in the Death Star? Anyway, none of those situations detract the overall story or situation. The ones you mentioned are no exception.

Ah. In that case I'll let Mr. Plinkett do the explaining: http://www.redlettermedia.com/phantom_menace.html

I don't think that review (or should I call it nitpicking?) is a reference for anything. If he wasn't an hypocrite, he would do a review(?) for the rest of the movies. Not just the prequels or whatever...

Oh certainly, but none are significant enough to detract from the quality of the movie and the experience of the viewer (as evidenced by the fact that I can't recall any besides Kenobi addressing Vader "Darth", as if that was a first name). IMO the holes in TPM are much more gaping.

Which holes? I saw no significant holes in TPM or any of the movies that detract from the quality or experience the movie gave me. I'd say the holes in the OT are way more obvious than the ones in the PT. But that doesn't mean one is better or worse than the other because of that.

Energy (or rage) brought by the death of his master. Was that so hard to understand? He didn't used Force speed because he was tired. Yet he tried to help his master in the duel but got caught by the last field. The rest comes to what I've mentioned before.

Yeah, I believe I've also answered this argument before.

Why the force fields were there? Security, perhaps.

Yeah, security forcefields that open automatically every two minutes. That's gotta be superbly secure.

Not everything has to be explained in a movie.

It does if the film doesn't want to end up being an incoherent mess.

Do you question why did the Death Star arrived right behind Yavin? Or why there are so few TIE fighters in the Death Star?

The Death Star arrived behind Yavin because that's the direction it was traveling from, as made obvious by the shot of the DS approaching the planet.

As for TIE fighters, it's made abundantly clear throughout the film that the Empire doesn't consider single-seat fighters to be a threat. First they say the station is the ultimate power in the universe, then the Rebel general spells it out in the briefing before the attack, and then finally nobody bothers doing anything when the Rebel fighters come. The only one who gives the order to launch some fighters is Vader. Tarkin doesn't care at all, even when they tell him there is real danger he refuses to do anything. The DS only launches enough fighters to deal with the Rebels ships present, and indeed the TIEs do manage that quite effectively. In terms of ships destroyed by enemy fire, we see the Rebels lose 9 against the Empire's 3. They didn't launch more fighters because they didn't need to, they were winning three to one.

The reason the DS got destroyed was not because it launched too few fighters, it was because Vader was being an arrogant ass who wanted the kills for himself. He specifically orders his wingmen to hold fire so he can pick off the Rebel ships himself, thus giving Han enough time to come in and save the day. Had he not done so the three of them would've blasted Luke to bits long before Han ever showed up. The lack of imperial fighters wasn't the issue, Vader having his wingmen sit there and do nothing while he fiddles with his controls was.

Anyway, none of those situations detract the overall story or situation. The ones you mentioned are no exception.

Actually yeah, they are. I did explain why, and I've pointed you to a rather comprehensive explanation of almost everything that's wrong with that film. If you reject that, that's your business, but the fact of the matter is almost every point Plinkett makes is absolutely true.

I don't think that review (or should I call it nitpicking?) is a reference for anything. If he wasn't an hypocrite, he would do a review(?) for the rest of the movies. Not just the prequels or whatever...

You can suggest that to him. Just because he didn't get around to them yet is no reason to call him a hypocrite. I might as well call you an immature fanboy just because you like TPM and it wouldn't be any more justified.

Which holes? I saw no significant holes in TPM or any of the movies that detract from the quality or experience the movie gave me.

I guess that would kinda depend on what you expect from the film.

I'd say the holes in the OT are way more obvious than the ones in the PT.

Yeah, you'd say that. But only because you're trying to be contrary. If you want to, we can discuss it in detail and see if you really have a point or if you're just flapping your jaw. Feel free to point some of those holes out if you want to go for it. It would be my pleasure.

But that doesn't mean one is better or worse than the other because of that.

Right. When one thing has flaws and another thing doesn't, that doesn't mean one of them is better than the other. I guess it's kinda clear why you didn't see any holes in TPM.

dude its a movie , science fiction, fantasy , unrealistic and imagination comes to mind.

who cares .... if we sat and analysed every movie that came out as to why didnt he do this or why didnt they zig when they could have zagged , it would turn into a job or something and not a fun passtime. your looking into it to much.

Yeah, I believe I've also answered this argument before.

You mean, it wasn't explained in the movie?

Yeah, security forcefields that open automatically every two minutes. That's gotta be superbly secure.

Yes, if they can lock when an intruder is detected.

It does if the film doesn't want to end up being an incoherent mess.

And where is the incoherence? Just because you don't understand or it isn't explained the purpose of an object, does it make it incoherent? I think you should review the concept of incoherence...

The Death Star arrived behind Yavin because that's the direction it was traveling from, as made obvious by the shot of the DS approaching the planet.

A camera move doesn't show th DS approaching Yavin.

As for TIE fighters, it's made abundantly clear throughout the film that the Empire doesn't consider single-seat fighters to be a threat. First they say the station is the ultimate power in the universe, then the Rebel general spells it out in the briefing before the attack, and then finally nobody bothers doing anything when the Rebel fighters come.

One of the generals does mention that they can find a weakness and exploit it. Why would there be Rebel fighters in the DS if it wasn't because a weakness was found?

The only one who gives the order to launch some fighters is Vader. Tarkin doesn't care at all, even when they tell him there is real danger he refuses to do anything. The DS only launches enough fighters to deal with the Rebels ships present, and indeed the TIEs do manage that quite effectively.

Of course they did...

In terms of ships destroyed by enemy fire, we see the Rebels lose 9 against the Empire's 3. They didn't launch more fighters because they didn't need to, they were winning three to one.

The reason the DS got destroyed was not because it launched too few fighters, it was because Vader was being an arrogant ass who wanted the kills for himself. He specifically orders his wingmen to hold fire so he can pick off the Rebel ships himself, thus giving Han enough time to come in and save the day. Had he not done so the three of them would've blasted Luke to bits long before Han ever showed up. The lack of imperial fighters wasn't the issue, Vader having his wingmen sit there and do nothing while he fiddles with his controls was.

He says, "get the crew to their fighters". There's no reason for them not sending more than they did.

Actually yeah, they are. I did explain why, and I've pointed you to a rather comprehensive explanation of almost everything that's wrong with that film. If you reject that, that's your business, but the fact of the matter is almost every point Plinkett makes is absolutely true.

Is it true? I'd say he refuses to understand some concepts in order to critisize what he wants to. But saying he is right or wrong is a matter of opinion, and I won't get into that.

You can suggest that to him. Just because he didn't get around to them yet is no reason to call him a hypocrite.

I did suggest that to him. I call him an hypocrite because he said he would ony do a "review" about the prequels as far as Star Wars concerns.

I might as well call you an immature fanboy just because you like TPM and it wouldn't be any more justified.

I would like you to explain where was I immature or fanboy.

I guess that would kinda depend on what you expect from the film.

Again, where is the significant plot hole?

Yeah, you'd say that. But only because you're trying to be contrary.

No. It's just because it's my opinion.

If you want to, we can discuss it in detail and see if you really have a point or if you're just flapping your jaw. Feel free to point some of those holes out if you want to go for it. It would be my pleasure.

Can you explain why did Leia went to the main (and probably only) Rebel base if she knew the Falcon was being tracked? Or that famous moment "Don't shoot! There are no life forms on board."

Right. When one thing has flaws and another thing doesn't, that doesn't mean one of them is better than the other. I guess it's kinda clear why you didn't see any holes in TPM.

Are you kidding? Are you saying the OT is flawless? I guess it's kinda clear why you need to nitpick about the TPM...

Oh, and maybe it's better for you to reply through PM's. This is getting far off-topic.

You mean, it wasn't explained in the movie?

Is that what I said? No, it's not.

Yes, if they can lock when an intruder is detected.

Such as three guys waving lightsabers around? Didn't do much locking in that scene, did they?

And where is the incoherence? Just because you don't understand or it isn't explained the purpose of an object, does it make it incoherent? I think you should review the concept of incoherence...

Watch the review, it's all explained in it. I'm not going to re-type all of the points Plinkett makes here. I get that you're trying to troll me by making me waste as much time as possible on this, but I'm not biting.

A camera move doesn't show th DS approaching Yavin.

Yes it does: http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4438/dsyavin.png

And an officer even spells it out: "We're approaching Yavin. The rebel base is on a moon on the other side."

One of the generals does mention that they can find a weakness and exploit it. Why would there be Rebel fighters in the DS if it wasn't because a weakness was found?

I see. You're talking about Ep6, I was talking about Ep4. In that case I don't see the problem at all. There were swarms of TIEs in that battle.

He says, "get the crew to their fighters". There's no reason for them not sending more than they did.

Apart from the reasons I already mentioned.

Is it true? I'd say he refuses to understand some concepts in order to critisize what he wants to. But saying he is right or wrong is a matter of opinion, and I won't get into that.

And what concepts would that be, specifically?

I did suggest that to him.

Really. Excuse me if I don't take your word for that.

I would like you to explain where was I immature or fanboy.

You weren't paying attention. I said calling you an immature fanboy would not be justified.

Again, where is the significant plot hole?

Again, watch the review. He mentions about half a dozen of them.

Can you explain why did Leia went to the main (and probably only) Rebel base if she knew the Falcon was being tracked?

Because Solo insists it isn't.

Or that famous moment "Don't shoot! There are no life forms on board."

I don't see the issue here at all. The reason is given right there in that quote.

Are you kidding? Are you saying the OT is flawless? I guess it's kinda clear why you need to nitpick about the TPM...

And I'm the one nitpicking here? Very well, let me rephrase that. By your logic, when one thing has a lot of flaws and another has fewer, that doesn't mean one of them is better than the other.

Oh, and maybe it's better for you to reply through PM's. This is getting far off-topic.

So what? This forum is dead anyway, it's not like we're getting in anybody's way. But if you want to continue this via PM, feel free to. Personally I'd much rather do this publically so others can enjoy it too.

Archived