Home

'Empire Strikes Back' director Kershner dies in LA

JediExile

RIP, Mr. Kershner. You took George's vision and made it into something even better than Lucas could have, AND took the stigma out of the word 'sequel'.

This. Together with the Godfather part 2, The Empire Strikes Back was the only sequel that was better then it's unbeatable original. Deep, deep respect. It's my favourite film of the original trilogy, perhaps of the entire saga, in many ways because of the way the finale was filmed and how the atmosphere in the film was darker overall.

Rest in peace....

Statement from Lucas -

The world has lost a great director and one of the most genuine people I’ve had the pleasure of knowing. Irvin Kershner was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. When I think of Kersh, I think of his warmth, his thoughtfulness and his talent. I knew him from USC – I attended his lectures and he was actually on the festival panel that gave the prize to my THX short. I considered him a mentor.

Following Star Wars, I knew one thing for sure: I didn’t want to direct the second movie myself. I needed someone I could trust, someone I really admired and whose work had maturity and humor. That was Kersh all over. I didn’t want Empire to turn into just another sequel, another episode in a series of space adventures. I was trying to build something, and I knew Kersh was the guy to help me do it. He brought so much to the table. I am truly grateful to him.

He was a friend as well as a colleague. He will be missed.

Thank you for conspiring with Gary Kurtz and Lawrence Kasdan to hijack the production of The Empire Strikes Back away from George Lucas, thereby making it the best film of the saga. Funny how Lucas still considers it a "failure". :dozey:

Jealousy is an ugly thing, but Lucas can console himself with the laurels he's garnered and the billions he's made off of other people's talent.

RIP, Irvin Kershner. :(

Thank you for conspiring with Gary Kurtz and Lawrence Kasdan to hijack the production of The Empire Strikes Back away from George Lucas, thereby making it the best film of the saga. Funny how Lucas still considers it a "failure". :dozey:

Jealousy is an ugly thing, but Lucas can console himself with the laurels he's garnered and the billions he's made off of other people's talent.

RIP, Irvin Kershner. :(

Can we at least have one thread without trying to tear Lucas to pieces?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived