• DeathSpank (both of 'em)
    • Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
    • Monkey Island 2 LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition
    • Nelson Tethers
    • Poker Night at the Inventory
    • Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
    • STFU 2
    • Costume Quest

Yes, it's that time of year again where we post some stupid polls and your opinion will forever be cemented in Mojo history. Assuming we can figure out the feature system that is.

Anyway!

First poll: Your FAVORITE Mojo-related game of the year. And yes, multiple selection is available, because really, why not?

I voted Devil's Playhouse in a slight lead over the way-too-****ing-easy but otherwise totally charming Puzzle Agent.

I just finally bought MI2SE on Steam when it was $2.50 a few days back, and man. The commentaries are wonderful. The music and voices are pretty wonderful. The new UI is remarkably playable. The art, though, is damned ugly (which is still an improvement over the "goddamned inept ass-ugly" I'd call the original SE.) I guess the backgrounds look pretty okay for the most part, but the characters. Yuck.

Devil's Playhouse for me. It wasn't perfect: I'm normally not the guy who complains about the (lack of) difficulty in an adventure game, but at times it felt like the game was solving it's own puzzles for me. Apart from that the game was great, and my favorite Telltale game so far. Maybe slightly less witty than the previous two seasons, but the Sam & Max-version of New York was awesome, and I loved a lot of the characters they introduced.

I almost voted for Puzzle Agent, which had a very nice atmosphere. I love Grickle, and the world they created for this game was perfect for me. Too bad that I don't really like those Layton-style puzzles. Still, I hope the story of Scoggings will continue one day. Monkey 2 was great too, but the reason it was great was because of all the work those guys put in the original way back in the day. The new music, most of the voices, the commentaries and even the new graphics were all fine, but I can't rank that game higher than the more original, non-remake entries this year. I liked Costume Quest a lot too, and it could have been my choice for best game of the year, but my Xbox died before I got very far in it. Sorry Double Fine. One day I'll finish it.

Poker Night was fun, but still just a poker game. I played the first Deathspank and part of the second, and while I think the game looks great (and the music is pretty good too), I just don't like the rest of the game. The humour doesn't do it for me, and neither does the voice acting. It plays fine, I guess, but the constant stream of really bad (and badly delivered) jokes just get on my nerves too much. A shame, because I really wanted to like that one. CSI was mostly just very boring, Ghost Pirates was, sadly, not the game it could have been and I haven't played STFU.

at times it felt like the game was solving it's own puzzles for me.

Man, I totally agree. The game was great, but I feel like The City that Dares Not Sleep would have solved itself had I left my computer running. It was still a fun and interesting adventure, but occasionally the difficulty killed a few scenes, like the jokes about how Sal was able to solve the arcade machine puzzle way faster than Sam could: the fact that the puzzle was super-easy just made the joke fall completely flat.

MI2 is still the king, after all these years.

Remake was bittersweet. Botched a lot of the puzzles and cut some great dialogue. Both modes were lacking. Its strongest matters, though, were the ones I relish most. Ambience, music and information. Many moments they made crackle which before were stale. Many ideas were shared which before had been shelved to shelter dust.

Second hat goes to Nelson Tethers, because it was the only other one I played...

I did like Sam & Max Season 3 (although at times it was trying a bit too hard to be "epic"), and Nelson Tethers was a particular favourite of mine, mostly because of the Grickle art. And yet, Telltale seem to be losing some of the charm they had when they started out, now that they're attracting such big names. Bigger isn't always better. That said, I'm looking forward to Jurassic Park.

On topic, I think DeathSpank was one of the gems of this year (both of them).

Archived