Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had hoped it would just be some lame ME multiplayer spin-off rather than ME3. After all, we all know ME3 is coming, so all the teasing seems an odd play. However, a recent announcement by EA that single player is dead and they won't be releasing SP only games any more does seem to add ammunition to the idea of it being ME3 with MP included. If that turns out to be the case then Bioware's journey to the Dark Side will be complete, and they will be truly dead.

I was under the impression he said they are moving towards “co-operative or multiplayer or online services- as opposed to fire-and-forget, packaged goods only, single-player, 25-hours-and you’re out. I think that model is finished.” To me he isn’t saying single player is dead, but he is saying you can expect to have to pay extra for the downloadable content as the game will be shipped incomplete, much like every other game lately. If single player games are dead then I wish the EA president will explain to me what the game of the year for 2009 was and why Fallout: New Vegas is in the running for my favorite game of 2010 (yes, you BioWare haters I did write Obsidian developed my favorite game of 2010. Why wouldn’t I they also created my favorite game of all-time TSL. Of course they also created one of my least favorite game experiences of this year Alpha Protocol.) ;)

oh, to be a fly on the wall when Mimi reads this...
Yea, wasn’t happy with the multiplayer rumors, but I will take a wait and see attitude. If ME3 does include multiplayer then I hope it implemented similar to Fable 3. There, but not necessary to enjoy the game.

Yeah, I don't get why people are so worried... it's like when multiplayer is mentioned they immediately forget that BioWare has invested much into the story of the ME trilogy and has probably already planned this **** out from the very beginning. It's not as if they're going to completely reinvent the single player in the third game and ruin what the first two have set up.

So what, it has multiplayer.... there are probably new folk working at BioWare who they're pawning this off on to get their feet wet, which is usually the case with this kind of thing. And even if it does suck... who cares, it's not going to effect the main game.

Like Mav said, Uncharted 2 had multiplayer... I wasn't a fan of its multiplayer but Uncharted 2 is a ****ing awesome game with or without it. Same goes for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes... and I'm sure Dead Space 2 will be ****ing awesome whether or not you bother to click over to the multiplayer section of the game or not.

Am I the only one who is actually looking forward to ME multiplayer? Now when it's all over and the withdrawal symptoms start setting in, you won't have to replay the game 10 times (like me), you'll be able to hook up some MP. Sounds good to me. Fingers crossed they do a good job of it.

And like others have said, I really don't think it will affect the main story in the slightest.

Like Mav said, Uncharted 2 had multiplayer... I wasn't a fan of its multiplayer but Uncharted 2 is a ****ing awesome game with or without it. Same goes for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes... and I'm sure Dead Space 2 will be ****ing awesome whether or not you bother to click over to the multiplayer section of the game or not.
Another example would be Metal Gear Solid 4, I doubt most people even realized that game came with Metal Gear Online XD. The point is, ****ty multi-player with single-player unharmed.

Am I the only one who is actually looking forward to ME multiplayer? Now when it's all over and the withdrawal symptoms start setting in, you won't have to replay the game 10 times (like me), you'll be able to hook up some MP. Sounds good to me. Fingers crossed they do a good job of it.

And like others have said, I really don't think it will affect the main story in the slightest.

True, we don't know what the MP mode(s) in ME3 will involve. It may be something that turns out to be good for all we know.

Devs themselves are always going on about how constrained they are by budget and time limitations. My dislike of MP being shoehorned into a SP game is that all the resources used to generate that MP (in terms of manpower, time, money) could have been spent on the SP. The SP component in such a game may well prove to be good, but how much better could it have been with those additional resources?

I don't understand why every game has to have MP. Some sort of co-op mode I can maybe understand, but the deathmatch et al stuff? Aren't there 20 million clones of that crap already you can play?

On that note, what style of multi-player would you all like to see?

If it were up to me, it would be co-op squad-based missions. Regardless of how ME2 ended (assuming Shep surviving is canonical) the ME universe is gearing up for a war. So it would fit to have the game place you in the shoes of a recruit and get sent on whatever objective based missions with your friends/fellow recruits in a side-story that is parallel, but not necessarily directly related to Shep's story.

Devs themselves are always going on about how constrained they are by budget and time limitations. My dislike of MP being shoehorned into a SP game is that all the resources used to generate that MP (in terms of manpower, time, money) could have been spent on the SP. The SP component in such a game may well prove to be good, but how much better could it have been with those additional resources?

I don't understand why every game has to have MP. Some sort of co-op mode I can maybe understand, but the deathmatch et al stuff? Aren't there 20 million clones of that crap already you can play?

You ever consider that that publishers say to developers "we'll give you more time and money to make this game if you add a MP component"?

On that note, what style of multi-player would you all like to see?

If it were up to me, it would be co-op squad-based missions. Regardless of how ME2 ended (assuming Shep surviving is canonical) the ME universe is gearing up for a war. So it would fit to have the game place you in the shoes of a recruit and get sent on whatever objective based missions with your friends/fellow recruits in a side-story that is parallel, but not necessarily directly related to Shep's story.

I would like this the best. 2 or 4 player co-op with either a short campaign or individual missions where nobody plays as Shepard.

I can't see co-op making much sense in ME3. It's Shepard's story - there's not really any room for 2P to be sticking their nose in. Of course if they continue the "streamlining" they did in ME2 then it will probably be just a straight up shooter with no conversations or non-combat content, so in that case it would probably work fine.

They said they'd like it to be a co-op element separate from the single player story and be more of a side story running parallel to the main story. And if you read that, I just repeated what Mav already said in his post.

Also, why would they need to do that when BioWare has already created a multiplayer conversation system for TOR?

I can't see co-op making much sense in ME3. It's Shepard's story - there's not really any room for 2P to be sticking their nose in. Of course if they continue the "streamlining" they did in ME2 then it will probably be just a straight up shooter with no conversations or non-combat content, so in that case it would probably work fine.

petulaclark.jpg

Precisely because of what I said in the previous post - it's Shepard's story. You can't have some random guy on equal footing suddenly turning up in the 3rd act and start throwing their 2c in.

Shep can't be everywhere at once and there are plenty of people just as capable doing their own things parallel to him. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist... and just because you may happen to control that person in a side story event doesn't mean what they're doing is as equally grand as what Shep gets up to.

A side story is a side story not a main story... that's why they're called "side stories"... at least that's what I was told.

One thing I am worried about is if they add multiplayer achievements. I'm extremely proud of my 100% record on both games, and if they add some ridiculous takes months to achieve mp ones, I will be extremely pissed off. I want my unblemished record to stay that way. :carms:

Archived