Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news about the skill trees and everything.

As for the story we have to wait and see how it plays out, can't make any comment now, i'm a bit dissapointed that my pro human Sheppard is getting chased by Cerberus, but let's wait to see how they explain that...

Should I make the thread "Am I the only one who thinks Mass Effect should die?" in Atho now or wait?

Wait, we have too see if it blows first :dev14:

As for the story we have to wait and see how it plays out, can't make any comment now, i'm a bit dissapointed that my pro human Sheppard is getting chased by Cerberus, but let's wait to see how they explain that...

Well, my money's on the Reapers taking control of Cerberus somehow. Maybe the Collector Base did the whole indoctrination thing.

Well, my money's on the Reapers taking control of Cerberus somehow. Maybe the Collector Base did the whole indoctrination thing.

I'm betting it's more a case of Cerberus seeing the Reapers as a perfect opportunity to gain galactic power... if it looks like Cerberus is the one to save the galaxy from annihilation then they'll be in a primer position to gain a lot of support and pretty much take over politically. I'm sure they've been planning and orchestrating this for awhile now... though to be honest I didn't come to this though until after I read the latest chapters of Gantz in which a similar scene is being played out...

Impending doom; the main powers of the world being practically wiped out; a group of people who knew it would be happening planning ahead and enacting their plans to take over the world while at the same time fighting off the impending doom...

At least that sounds cooler to me cause then it's enemies on two sides with two different agendas instead of one controlling the other...

I'm betting it's more a case of Cerberus seeing the Reapers as a perfect opportunity to gain galactic power... if it looks like Cerberus is the one to save the galaxy from annihilation then they'll be in a primer position to gain a lot of support and pretty much take over politically. I'm sure they've been planning and orchestrating this for awhile now... though to be honest I didn't come to this though until after I read the latest chapters of Gantz in which a similar scene is being played out...

Impending doom; the main powers of the world being practically wiped out; a group of people who knew it would be happening planning ahead and enacting their plans to take over the world while at the same time fighting off the impending doom...

At least that sounds cooler to me cause then it's enemies on two sides with two different agendas instead of one controlling the other...

That sounds really good, which means it probably isn't the case :p

I was thinking something more simple, along the lines of:

the Illusive Man (this is for pro-Cerberus/kept the base guys) has used Shepard, but he has served his purpose and the TIM thinks he might cause trouble to him personally and or for Cerberus in the future, and must be removed.

Illusive turns on Shepard, and one of the missions mid game is to remove, arrest or kill TIM, and put Miranda in charge of Cerberus.

I would be ok if it played out like that.

Or maybe Shepard just says something about Cerberus/TIM at the trial.

Anyway... it's all speculation at this point.

If the exclusion of Tali isn't just a oversight or marketing ploy, ChAiNz will not be happy. Not happy at all. :(I may be a little upset too

Yeah.. I'd figure I'd hold my comments hoping it will be an editorial mistake or that Tali is included in the "it’s a matter of getting another crew together to take on the Reaper menace and save Earth" part of the Article.

It had better be :¬:

Tali may have been marginalised (along with most of the rest of the ME2 cast) because of the whole potentially dead at the end of ME2 thing. But given how rabid her fan base is, I'm sure she'll make an appearance of some sort, even if it's just to drop in for the obligatory pre-final showdown shag.

So after realizing they over-streamlined, they're putting ME3 where ME2 should have been mechanics-wise, and calling it an upgrade. At least they're doing it though. That isn't to say I disliked ME2, I was just surprised when it turned out to be a rather good shooter-with-occasional-conversation, instead of a rather good RPG-with-shooty bits. Looks like ME3 might turn out to be a rather good Shooter-RPG, without one aspect being dominant enough to all but cancel out the other.

I'm liking the talk of alternative endings, but the magazine's comparison to ME2 worries me. While I was happy with ME2's various endings, that was in part because I recognized that they were allowing the most change they could if they wanted the sequel's story to follow in any way logically. It had two real endings (not counting Shepard death, since that can't continue to ME3), giving the collector base away, or blowing it up (all the others were just different configurations of which crew-members died, and don't really change the state of the game universe much). Considering Bioware wants the story to flow no matter which you pick, this is very impressive.

However, with ME3, they can do so much more. Since they don't need to worry about a sequel limiting the changes a player can cause in the game universe, the degree of possible options is huge. While I have no doubt that the 'real' (read: not counting as losing the game) endings will all have the Reapers defeated, I'd hope that the player will have more of an impact than just saving the day as RainbowHugs Shepard, or as BadassJerk Shepard. At the very least, I'd hope that one could choose between restoring the status quo of aliens and humans on a roughly equal footing, or siding with (perhaps taking over) Cerberus and ensuring human supremacy over the lesser races (or even begin to cleanse the galaxy of alien filth). Options like those (and hopefully more) would go a long way to make the player's story have lasting impact on the galaxy.

edit: Just read the link Achilles posted. I'm kind of hoping that the writer is wrong, and that ME3 won't be yet another "unite the races to help you in the final battle" a la DA:O, and many other games. While Bioware does recycle quite a bit of story material, (it's just like that other thing, but this time, in SPACE!), I'd hope that they wouldn't do it within a 2 year period. Though if there were the potential for convincing the Quarians to fight against the Geth, the Krogans against the Salarians/Turians, with a promise of covert assistance to all parties after the Reapers are defeated, thus weakening all the most militarily powerful non-human species (the Asari, while good economically, wouldn't be anywhere near a match for humans in a war, IIRC), then I'd probably reconsider. Any game that allows the player to be a magnificent bastard gets bonus points from me. The more common type of video game evil is just being a violent thug, instead of a clever, manipulative, violent thug.

What To Expect From “Mass Effect 3″: The Factions

I recommend that certain people read the section on Quarians.

Nice read.

I still believe dark energy is going to play an important part in ME3. They just gave too many hints about it in ME2 for it to mean nothing.

Never really thought about the Udina versus Anderson in that way makes me kind of wish I would have picked Udina at least once. All in all, I think I’ve set up my saves rather nicely if the speculation in the article is correct.

However, with ME3, they can do so much more. Since they don't need to worry about a sequel limiting the changes a player can cause in the game universe, the degree of possible options is huge. While I have no doubt that the 'real' (read: not counting as losing the game) endings will all have the Reapers defeated, I'd hope that the player will have more of an impact than just saving the day as RainbowHugs Shepard, or as BadassJerk Shepard.
I want the Shepard saves the day followed by stones fall down upon their head ending. ;)

I'm kind of hoping that the writer is wrong, and that ME3 won't be yet another "unite the races to help you in the final battle" a la DA:O, and many other games.
I'm sorry, but I just can't see how anyone could NOT see this coming.

Tali's loyalty mission, Legion's loyalty mission, resolution of the subsequent conflict, status of Wrex (and his interaction in ME2 if he survived), etc, etc all SCREAM that this is exactly what we should be expecting in ME3.

I want the Shepard saves the day followed by stones fall down upon their head ending. ;)

We are not amused.

Tali's loyalty mission, Legion's loyalty mission, resolution of the subsequent conflict, status of Wrex (and his interaction in ME2 if he survived), etc, etc all SCREAM that this is exactly what we should be expecting in ME3.

I agree, the writing is on the wall...

I would imagine the reasoning behind the Cerberus thing is simply that they needed 10-15 hours of filler combat before the cutscene at the end where you kill the Reapers.

I'm pretty sure they've already said that the Reapers would be arriving at the start of ME3...

Which is why I said 'hoping', not 'expecting' it to be different.

Of course I agree that it's the most likely course things will take, but that doesn't change the fact that I would prefer it if Bioware waited more than 2 years before recycling a plot to an even greater extent than they normally do.

Hell, even the 'find/construct the one ancient/newly invented object that can save the day' hasn't been used as recently, and would actually make more sense than than throwing every united species' might at the Reapers. Considering one Reaper could destroy so many of the most powerful species' ships, that there are at least 300 of them coming (that's assuming the ones we saw on screen at the end of ME2 are all of them), and that most of the galaxy isn't even mobilizing for war since the Council still doesn't believe in Reapers, throwing everyone at them would just result in everyone dying.

Archived