Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually expect sort of both to happen. Obviously there's going to be an epic war with everyone fighting the Reapers, but I don't think that's how the story is going to end. That would pretty much leave Shepard out of the loop. No, I think while they're trying desperately to hold the Reapers back, Shepard's going to be off Sheparding the Sheps. Maybe he'll blow up the Citadel, disable the entire Mass Relay network and strand the Reapers in their little networks of systems. Maybe he'll figure out the secret of Element Zero and find a way to turn all Eezo inert. That would be a fun ending. You save the galaxy by destroying the cornerstone of civilization.

Actually, something along these lines might tie in with Mimi's observations about "Dark Energy".

I'd have to agree with all 3 of you Achilles, Mimartin & Primogen

As much as it was thrown around in ME2, and along with the Quarians studying dark energy and the collapse of suns (which creates eezo).. it HAS to be part of the story catalyst

Not sure exactly on the whos whats whens hows and whys, but I'd wager it's a plot device to jump-start the main mission.

Eezo is generated when solid matter, such as a planet, is affected by the energy of a star going supernova. The material is common in the asteroid debris that orbits neutron stars and pulsars.

source

Well, as long as they don't Independence Day it and "upload" some kind of virus into the Reapers....

I don't want that (the virus), a super secret Reaper off switch or a group of primitive teddy bear to help save the day. Beyond that I’m game for anything.

I don't want that (the virus), a super secret Reaper off switch or a group of primitive teddy bear to help save the day. Beyond that I’m game for anything.

I would also add that i don't want dark energy to be like the force/dark side, meaning, the explanation to anything that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

You would be up for a splinter group of Reapers arriving at the climax of the plot and destroying all the other Reapers, thus making everything Shepard's done throughout the series completely irrelevant because the Reapers were going to be stopped anyway?

I would also add that i don't want dark energy to be like the force/dark side, meaning, the explanation to anything that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I did not get the impression from the hints in ME2 that dark energy would be anything like that.

I’m thinking it is either Reaper technology or someone other than Ceberus believes Shepard’s story and are experimenting with dark energy thinking it is outside of the Reapers scope of technology. The galaxy is way too dependent on the roadmap of technical advancement the Reapers left behind. Something outside that realm may be the key to bringing them down; a theory hinted at by TIM in ME2 but then thrown away when TIM wanted to save the Collector, so basically a guess on my part. Perhaps the Geth or the rachni, they are at least two species that know Shepard is telling the truth and know a little about Reaper technology.

I'm pretty sure they've already said that the Reapers would be arriving at the start of ME3...
Yes, but that doesn't mean anything. You can't defeat them straight away obviously, lest the game last only 5 minutes. And you can't fight 200-300 Reapers interactively regardless. So the logical conclusion is that you will spend the vast majority of the game running around small linear areas hiding behind cover shooting at humanoids before finding some magical solution and using it to kill all the Reapers in a cutscene at the end. Seeing as how Cerberus have conveniently turned against you in the face of impending galactic doom, I suspect there will be no shortage of said humanoids. And of course they have shown a few new Reaper creations that look like something out of Doom, which I'm sure they'll sprinkle in for a touch of flavour.

I never said that, I only said the Reapers look to be there at the start of the game.

And I agree with you about not fighting the reapers directly, I was just talking to mim a few hours ago about how Shep would most likely go on some quest to find a way to destroy all of the reapers at once while the rest of the galaxy tries to hold off the reapers some how... but Cerberus turning against Shep isn't convenient, it's only natural considering that they want to come out on top by the end of the conflict with the Reapers and be in a position to take control of the galaxy themselves and even be credited with the Reapers destruction... they wouldn't just go after Shep because it's to shoot things.

I was taking convenience in terms of a plot device for the developers. Makes their life easier if the majority of hapless peons you have to wade through for most of the game are just black retextures of all the humanoid models they used for mercs in ME2.

You know, if they work in the idea that as an elite, hidden, organization, Cerberus' forces would be limited in size and often hire mercs for grunt work, they could save even more dev time by doing even less reskinning. Bioware can send the check in the mail.

I don't really have a problem with models not changing much, since within the game's timeline, armor and weapons tech are unlikely to have changed much, and ME2's graphics still hold up perfectly well. Saved dev time could go to other aspects of the game.

Shepards that are cool with aliens are easy to put Cerberus against. The easiest way I can see to reconcile having a Humanocentrist Shepard (who would want Cerberus to win) with having Cerberus as an enemy would be to make TIM worry that Shepard, with his record and ability to inspire loyalty, would be a threat to his position as leader of the organization. Personal greed would outweigh devotion to humanity, and he'd try to have Shepard killed. Taking over Cerberus would be just awesome enough to have me play an alien-hating Shepard. I never could be bothered to do it before, since I like how my Shep and Garrus have a whole Boondock Saints vigilante duo thing going, minus the religion.

Good job, Mimi. About three of us are old enough to get that.

I'm sure plenty people here would recognize Horshack. At least I hope so, since I've never considered myself one of the old fogeys here, and I'd prefer for that not to change.

It would be interesting if during the trial in the beginning of the game you could either spill your guts about Cerb and some of their deals and your actions which would get them kind of pissed. These choices could be a way to determine if Miranda for example will be friendly or join back with cerbs.

This also could be used to affect which ME2 party members who are possible companions to want to come back or kill you, or forget you.

As for why Cerbs wants you dead I'm assuming as mentioned in ME2 there are many different cells of cerbs out there....the ILM might be interested in making a deal or getting control of Reaper tech to remove aliens and leave only humans. After all ILM built Shepherd as he was 100 percent as a form of bait for the Collectors and Reapers. ILM could have trained an army but the one person who killed a Reaper is actually going to be of a threat.

All I know is i'm happy for no multiply and this going to be a fun ride to see the end to 3 part story.

Indeed. That worked out well in DA2.

I never said they would use extra dev time well, just that it opens up the possibility.

Also, re-using well made character models from a good-looking recent game in the same universe is very different from making just a few levels and copy-pasting them all over a game (a la ME1 and DA2).

I assume that's what you're referring to, since I haven't played any of DA2 other than the demo (and don't really plan to), and that's the complaint I've heard that would make sense in this context. I'm also assuming you were being sarcastic.

It would be interesting if during the trial in the beginning of the game you could either spill your guts about Cerb and some of their deals and your actions which would get them kind of pissed. These choices could be a way to determine if Miranda for example will be friendly or join back with cerbs.

This would be a bit weird since by the end of the game, Miranda is more part of Shepard's team, them she is Cerberus imo.

The easiest way I can see to reconcile having a Humanocentrist Shepard (who would want Cerberus to win) with having Cerberus as an enemy would be to make TIM worry that Shepard, with his record and ability to inspire loyalty, would be a threat to his position as leader of the organization. Personal greed would outweigh devotion to humanity, and he'd try to have Shepard killed. Taking over Cerberus would be just awesome enough to have me play an alien-hating Shepard.

I originally thought about this explanation as well, Shepard is gaining the loyalty of Cerberus and might represent a threat for TIM and must be removed, but TIM getting insecure is so out of character...

I think the idea of how you are going to use Cerberus resources being the breaking point works better.

And yeah, it's gonna be awesome to take over Cerberus, even a pro human Shepard is not necessarily pro TIM (he is always an ass regardless).

re-using well made character models from a good-looking recent game in the same universe is very different from making just a few levels and copy-pasting them all over a game (a la ME1 and DA2).
It's actually not that different in principle (and motivation), but I'll assume you mean that you aren't bothered by the former as opposed to the latter. Both examples are fairly jarring to my mind when compared to their respective forebears, but to each their own.

I'm also assuming you were being sarcastic.
True, but it is only the garnish on a solid kernel of seriousness.

EDIT: Ooo! Who doesn't love hot Reaper-on-Thresher-Maw action?

And I always hunted the Threwer-Maws down in ME for the experience points. Now they may be the one thing that can defeat a Reaper.

:(

Nice read, I’m already looking forward to the letdown in ME3 because I'm too pumped up about it.

Archived