Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

I'm not sure what the "meaningless behind-the-scenes stat games" refers to. There are no combat character stats in ME - it's all twitch-based. I can only assume it is some reference to the scaling damage of powers and weapons, as there is nothing else you could really term a "stat".

The ME system is already about as bare-boned as it can be without being a pure shooter in the vein of Gears of War. I can't see how on the one hand you can say you are bringing back RPG elements that were stripped out in ME2, yet on the other hand say you're are streamlining elements out.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@ igyman: I feel so used...

It felt awesome, just admit it. After all it was all in the name of education. :ang2:

I can't see how on the one hand you can say you are bringing back RPG elements that were stripped out in ME2, yet on the other hand say you're are streamlining elements out.

I have to agree with you on that one. It's very confusing and, like pretty much everything they said about ME3 so far, worrying. Except the screenshots, they look cool.

I have to agree with you on that one. It's very confusing and, like pretty much everything they said about ME3 so far, worrying. Except the screenshots, they look cool.

Well, RPG is more then only Stats on skills and whatnot, who get used in a "Dice" rolling system. It was pretty clear they sort of kicked that out in ME-2.

Mayhaps, teh developpers are bringing back a more slightly elaborate item upgrade thing and armours? That could be considered an RPG aspect aswell.

Then ofcourse they did say they'd bring back more indepth stat stuff... I could see they offer you more choices to spend points in when you level up, sort of mini skill tree's?

Ack... idiots >_<

Well, RPG is more then only Stats on skills and whatnot, who get used in a "Dice" rolling system. It was pretty clear they sort of kicked that out in ME-2.

Mayhaps, teh developpers are bringing back a more slightly elaborate item upgrade thing and armours? That could be considered an RPG aspect aswell.

Then ofcourse they did say they'd bring back more indepth stat stuff... I could see they offer you more choices to spend points in when you level up, sort of mini skill tree's?

Ack... idiots >_<

I think all of that was already mentioned by the devs, exept for the armors which they apparently don´t like.

And i want separate charm and intimidation skills back...

Ack... idiots >_<

You are right when you say that a RPG video game is more than just stats, but that applies to all the other elements you mentioned as well - you can't just put some weapon upgrades, or just put some kind of inventory in a game and call it an RPG.

If you've read my previous post (the long one), then you should see that this is precisely one of two points I was trying to make - if you want to classify a game as belonging to a certain genre, then it needs to have a specific set of gameplay elements that defines that genre of video games. Not just one or two elements, but the whole set. This applies to any genre, not just RPGs. :)

My other point is that players need to understand this in order to successfully differentiate between, for example, an Action RPG (RPG with elements of action games) and an Action game with RPG elements.

@ above spoilers

Not too much of a surprise considering some of the stuff they unveiled in the comics. TIM got his shiny eyes from Reaper tech, so I kinda figured it would only be a matter of time before we got some sort of OMGTIM=REAPARZ!!!1!!11 plot twist

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Cerberus working for the Reapers :swear:

Oh Bioware...

Show spoiler
How is Cerberus working for the Reapers any bigger of a plot twist than the Protheans, an Assari Matriarch or a Spectre working for the Reapers? We already have seen in ME and ME2 that humans are just as acceptable to indoctrination as any other species in the Mass Effect universe. We also have been shown over and over that Cerberus will do anything to get technology to advance the human race. Add to that results matter and safety is of little or no concern and it is a pretty easy leap from fighting the Reapers to joining them. I could see this scenario happen very easily for someone that did not destroy the collector base (which is one of the reasons I always destroyed it), but it could happen almost as easily if Cerberus decide to study other Reaper technology discovered in the universe.

It isn’t like we haven’t seen examples where Cerberus, Alliance and miners find Reaper technology that had the power to indoctrinate in the past. Then again the TIM is arrogant enough to believe he has some angle where he can deal with the Reapers to weaken the galaxy and then destroy them to put human in charge. Perhaps that ancient “dysfunctional” weapon he told Shepard about when getting the mission to get the FTL from the derelict Reaper.

Urgh. So lame and predictable.

Depending on how it is done, true. However, since I don't know how it will be incorporated into the story I will hold off my judgment. What do you really expect from a company that biggest plot twist to date was in KOTOR, which by the way was lame and predictable?

That "plot twist" re TIM and Co. makes sense, even if predictable and lame. Besides, I'll also w/hold judgement till I see what they do w/ME3. Still, I plan to go into this w/no real expectations beyond it being at least as good/no worse than the first two games.

At least Tali is confirmed as being back as a permanent squad member. Not that there was much doubt - I'm pretty sure they would have been lynched if it were otherwise.

Yeah, and ChAiNz would have been at the front of the mob building a fire under the tree branch they hanged them from. :D

* hides pitchfork & matches * huh? what? :dev8:

Show spoiler
How is Cerberus working for the Reapers any bigger of a plot twist than the Protheans, an Assari Matriarch or a Spectre working for the Reapers? We already have seen in ME and ME2 that humans are just as acceptable to indoctrination as any other species in the Mass Effect universe. We also have been shown over and over that Cerberus will do anything to get technology to advance the human race. Add to that results matter and safety is of little or no concern and it is a pretty easy leap from fighting the Reapers to joining them. I could see this scenario happen very easily for someone that did not destroy the collector base (which is one of the reasons I always destroyed it), but it could happen almost as easily if Cerberus decide to study other Reaper technology discovered in the universe.

It isn’t like we haven’t seen examples where Cerberus, Alliance and miners find Reaper technology that had the power to indoctrinate in the past. Then again the TIM is arrogant enough to believe he has some angle where he can deal with the Reapers to weaken the galaxy and then destroy them to put human in charge. Perhaps that ancient “dysfunctional” weapon he told Shepard about when getting the mission to get the FTL from the derelict Reaper.

You misunderstood me, my problem isn't that this is impossible scenario, it's very possible!!! It happens over and over.

Like Darth Parametric, i just think it feels lame and very lazy, i liked the fact that Cerberus was an "the ends justifies means organization", so i dislike the idea of chaging them to simple evil (it seems).

But as you said, let's wait and see.

You are right when you say that a RPG video game is more than just stats, but that applies...

... game with RPG elements.

Eh, yeah, I've read your post, but it seems I didn't get my thoughts straighted out when I posted :lol:

I understand what you're on about. My point is that, they might put far less importance on the stats, like they did in ME 2.

Infact in ME-2 they seem to have kicked out about everything that you could stick RPG to. Only dialogue remained.

Perhaps what Bioware is working on is to bring back certain RPG elements back. Like say, armours and weapon upgrades, not streamlined like in ME-2 but a little more indepth for each of your squad mates.

Anyway, it was clear with the ME franchise Bioware was searching for a good balance between "hard-core" RPG and more casual action games. Hopefully they'll do just that for ME-3... for most of us :p

Then again, they might make so watered down... it'll be annoying.

Going round in circles :lol:

...I don't care about anything that came before, that looks and sounds awesome.

Liara as a squadmate though? Iiiiinteresting. But awesome. Kiera Femshep and Dr. T'Soni reunited! Glorious. Oh, and de facto second in command Garrus. Kaidan, however, can get stuffed. And that's to say nothing of Ashley, ew.

Show spoiler
I'm not convinced the whole Cerberus thing makes sense. They couldn't have been siding with the reapers before ME2, since that would make rebuilding Shepherd just about the dumbest idea possible. If TIM is attempting to use the Reapers, they'd notice the fact that he resurrected their greatest enemy, considering that enemy's been jetting around in a ship with the Cerberus logo on the side (actually, why exactly does a covert organization, hunted as terrorists by most of the galaxy, paint their logo on everything, including their operatives' outfits? Consistency, Bioware, please).

That only leaves the short window between ME2 and ME3 for Cerberus to start working with the Reapers. Considering the Reapers attack Earth at the beginning of ME3, Cerberus clearly isn't working with the Reapers to get humanity spared, nor is it trying to use them as a tool. That only leaves indoctrination. If Shepard blew up the collector base, how exactly did they get indoctrinated? In fact, even if Shepard didn't, it'd be out of character for TIM to ever go to the Collector base himself, and no one else's indoctrination would have a huge impact on the organization. This pretty much means a Reaper would've needed to find him in the time between ME2 and ME3, to indoctrinate him. Even then, that doesn't explain why Cerberus soldiers would follow orders that are clearly against humanity's best interests, given the ongoing invasion of earth.

If someone sees a sensible reason for this that I've missed, please tell me. I want to believe that Bioware's writers are going to do a good job, but this has me worried.

As for gameplay, a while ago I remember them saying they were adding back RPG elements. Now they're talking about more streamlining. At this point, the only thing we know for certain is that combat mechanics will be similar to ME2's. Bioware should either send out a consistent message, or just keep quiet.

FWIW, keep in mind that Bioware is developing the game, but they've been purchased by EA who is the publisher and most likely the final decision maker in all of this (hence my concern over EA's rep saying that the cause of delayed release is to make the game more mainstream).

While it is easy to lay the blame entirely at the feet of EA (and I'm sure they have a hand in it), I don't think that's the whole story. Bioware chose this path themselves long before EA came into the picture. You can see the early seeds of this trend in NWN, further developed in KOTOR, and it was especially manifest in Jade Empire which was the archetypal streamlining of an RPG into an action game. There are reasons that guys like Tudge and Knowles jumped ship and I think it's fair to say those reasons were manifest before EA came along.

You all worry too much. Worry makes you old before your time.

Next thing you know you'll will be yelling for the kids to get off your lawn.

Show spoiler
eastwoodmylawn1.jpg

I'll admit I had my concerns, but I had them before ME2 too and I like ME2 better than ME1.

Thanks to stoffe, I've gone back to DA2. While I still like DA better, I am having fun with DA2.

Archived