Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/220454/femshep-mass-effect-3-salutes-you/

About flippin' time right enough. Fascinating to see what look they settle on. I'll be chuffed if they stick with the ever-awesome red hair and green eyes combo though.

This may be a bit of a bias on my part, but black hair seems popular enough. Also, the claim that FemShep is the correct way to play Commander Shepard is ridiculous. While there is a wrong way, it has nothing to with which sex you play as (if you play one exclusively, which I don't), or even what choices you make(unless of course the Suicide Mission was a bloodbath), but it has to do with how competent you are (and by extension, how competent your Shepard is). I've personally always said that the important stuff is the same anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From various hints being dropped on Twitter (seems like half the ME3 dev team is using it now), it looks like most (if not all) squad members will only be temporary, including formerly confirmed "permanent" members Tali and (possibly) Garrus. I guess it was always bound to happen to some degree at least, what with everyone in ME2 possibly being dead. It would be nice to have at least some squad members stick around the whole game though.

Also, there have been a number of worrying comments concerning the consequences of ME1/2 choices and making ME3 welcoming for new players. Seems like we are likely in for some ME2-style lip service to past choices.

Also, there have been a number of worrying comments concerning the consequences of ME1/2 choices and making ME3 welcoming for new players. Seems like we are likely in for some ME2-style lip service to past choices.

"New Message:

Shepard,

Thanks for destroying that base. I REALLY wanted that. You suck, you know that?

Never talking to you again.

T.I.M."

Okay I doubt they'd do that, but still... :xp:

I wonder how 'temporary' is 'temporary'? I do hope it's long enough for some decent interaction with once-major characters and not (unless its done well) single missions for ALL.

Well it definitely sounds like some characters could only appear for one mission and even then possibly only as a cameo rather than as an actual squad member. In the ME3 demo there was mention of Wrex showing up during the Krogan princess mission, although we didn't get to see him directly. We did see Mordin in that mission playing a cameo role. The same for Legion in the Geth mission. It's possible that all the ME2 squad members could put in an appearance like that so that they could be easily swapped out for a generic stand-in (like Wreav) in the case that they are dead. I've said before that they painted themselves into a corner with the whole "everyone can die suicide mission", so it's not exactly surprising.

They have said they purposely kept Liara and the Virmire survivor out of harm's way in ME2 so they could play a larger role in ME3. That would suggest that those two (and likely that Vega bloke and the new bi/gay love interest/s) are the only "permanent" squad members. They have said things won't work the same as in ME1/ME2 though, so maybe even they will flit off for part of the game.

Worrying about nothing…Big Brother BioWare has all your game data; they know the statistics of how popular Tali is. It will work out in the end. The same type of fear was happening last time about Shepard's death. How did that turn out? What do I care if Tali is off somewhere as long as Shepard can go visit. Unlike ME1 when she was the most useful party member I kept her tuning the engine in ME2.

BioWare is just looking for publicity by stirring up fanboys. Just like last time with a dead Shepard. Any publicity is good publicity.

They have said they purposely kept Liara and the Virmire survivor out of harm's way in ME2 so they could play a larger role in ME3. That would suggest that those two (and likely that Vega bloke and the new bi/gay love interest/s) are the only "permanent" squad members.

Hopefully not, I always found Liara, Kaidan, and Ashley to be terribly uninteresting characters. I even liked Jacob more, and most people seem to find him boring.

Hopefully not, I always found Liara, Kaidan, and Ashley to be terribly uninteresting characters. I even liked Jacob more, and most people seem to find him boring.

Still, if you romanced none of them, how will that affect their accessability as team members? Except for the fact that it's Earth in the Crosshairs in ME3, there's no really strong reason to have them as permanent members of your crew w/o the romance connection. Might as well have a new cast of "red shirts" (ST reference) w/assorted cameos and temp spots for any survivors from the first two games.

All i know is if it's true only the virmire survivor, liara, and james vega will be permanent squaddies, then ill be creating my ME2 renegade playthrough to import and say i romanced liara on the comic. Want the full romance experience! but my paragon remains loyal to tali <3

there's no really strong reason to have them as permanent members of your crew w/o the romance connection.
Ugh, that sort of thinking is exactly why I find the official forums so groan-inducing. I'm all for Shepard shagging anything with a heartbeat, but that should not be the sole basis for an NPC's inclusion as a squad mate. A big part of Bioware's problem is they have turned into a developer of romance simulators (and not very good ones at that).

Ugh, that sort of thinking is exactly why I find the official forums so groan-inducing. I'm all for Shepard shagging anything with a heartbeat, but that should not be the sole basis for an NPC's inclusion as a squad mate. A big part of Bioware's problem is they have turned into a developer of romance simulators (and not very good ones at that).

well, yeah, it's BioWare that made it that way. What use does Liara actually have to the games storyline much at all? or gameplay? (she isnt really that good gameplay wise) BioWare put her there as a romance, simple, really. Ashley and Kaidan, fine, virmire survivors. and people like leliana in Origins. no reason for her other than romance.

A big part of Bioware's problem is they have turned into a developer of romance simulators (and not very good ones at that).

It's popular with the (vocal) fans. And it's not a very new phenomenon, Bioware RPGs have all had romances since Baldurs Gate II, and you'd miss out on a fair amount of content in that game if you didn't romance any of the 3 options available (as annoying as they all were). :)

I do agree that the choice of who to bring along on my squad should stay in my hands as a player of this game, and not be dictated by an imported savegame from a prequel, or other things you have little control over (like the predetermined Handmaiden or Disciple choice that was made for you in KOTOR:TSL).

I didn't say they shouldn't have romances, just that it shouldn't be the defining feature of who gets to be a squad member and who doesn't.

Wasn't saying I had a problem with bringing anyone back as squad members, just that it seemed that that was one of the criteria they appeared to be using. If they are really taking all variables into consideration, then they ought to include any surviving crewmate from both ME2 and ME1 (hint Garrus and Tali) as "permanent" fixtures to new crew. Wrex is sort of out in my book b/c of his apparent need to sit on top of the clans at home (but at least they find a way to squeeze him into game anyway). Since this is supposed to wrap up Shep's arc in ME storyline, I'm not averse to working any and all relevant npcs into storyline, as perm members or otherwise. Still, keep in mind you can play MEs 1&2 w/o developing any real bond between you and your crewmates, so is any of them really indispensible? Btw, I wasn't saying it was the sole basis.....afterall I also pointed out about Earth being in the crosshairs. Besides, it'd be lame to bring Ash/Kaiden back in a one-off like on Horizon, esp under the circumstances.

I'd say the main basis is their VA budget. Technically, they could make a game so complex that it allows every surviving squadmate to be permanently available in ME3, however if they just stand there between "missions" and don't talk about anything, they aren't interesting to the player and can be easily replaced by a generic NPC, but to record so many "full" conversations is too expensive. So the devs opt for the cameo appearance approach - not surprising since that's what they did in their sequels so far. The cameo allows them to squeeze a potentially dead character in, without spending too much money on recording the dialogue. Sometimes this is done right, but other times it just ends up as a "meh".

New 2-parter interview session.

Part I - Mass Effect 3: BioWare on surprises, inspiration and tough decisions

Will Shepard get to punch a reporter again?

Yes.

:D

We changed Tali - that was tough because people were very passionate about her. A lot of people want to have her face revealed and obviously people are going to be pissed off either way..

...So we've had a lot of debate over Tali's face, but that's the one we kind of dread a lot. We're always "well, let's talk about something else for a while!" That's something we're going to have to decide.

Not going to go in to my nuances on the matter, pretty sure you know by now ;) Moreso is the fact it's even being discussed.. so there may be a Tali reveal afterall, rather than a from-behind shot. Will contain my fanboi-ism till we learn more.. hehe

-----

Part II - Mass Effect 3: BioWare on art, sound and sharing with DICE

Actually found this interview a little more enjoyable. Discusses the often overlooked sound design behind-the-scenes :)

Also,

We have a lot more integrated cover, so you don't walk into a room and immediately know there's going to be a combat there.

I will welcome this with open arms :golfclap:

New 2-parter interview session.

Part I - Mass Effect 3: BioWare on surprises, inspiration and tough decisions

:D

Not going to go in to my nuances on the matter, pretty sure you know by now ;) Moreso is the fact it's even being discussed.. so there may be a Tali reveal afterall, rather than a from-behind shot. Will contain my fanboi-ism till we learn more.. hehe

-----

Part II - Mass Effect 3: BioWare on art, sound and sharing with DICE

Actually found this interview a little more enjoyable. Discusses the often overlooked sound design behind-the-scenes :)

Also,

I will welcome this with open arms :golfclap:

all very nice. especially the cover. id walk into a room with complete eyesores scattered over the floor and id just think..kay..where are you

The interesting thing about that is they said they changed Tali as a separate thing from the face showing debate. I wonder what they did to her? Presumably it is something more than a texture change like between ME1 and ME2 for it to warrant a specific mention. Seems like everyone is getting a sexy makeover for ME3.

Archived