Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

Dang it Astor! You beat me to it! I'm not liking this one bit, because whether it's co-op or something else, there'll be, without a doubt, achievements/trophies that require usage of multiplayer. Without Live, I'm kind of incapable of acquiring said achievements.

one of my worries too, with the obvious wonder of what multiplayer will entail.

EDIT: Ah, hold on, yes. Confirmed to be Co-Op - 4 player Co-Op missions, as stated by Chris Priestly on the BioWare Social Forums. More details coming Wednesday, when the feature was apparently supposed to be announced.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8475946/60

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Co-Op doesn't bother me that much. As long as Single Player is not compromised, I'm all for it. I guess Bioware had some extra free time and decided to add coop.

i suppose it's an extra feature that we would have only got if we waited until march, instead of november? so it doesnt affect anything, its just cause there is time?

Dang it Astor! You beat me to it! I'm not liking this one bit, because whether it's co-op or something else, there'll be, without a doubt, achievements/trophies that require usage of multiplayer. Without Live, I'm kind of incapable of acquiring said achievements.
Do people care that much about achievements?

I'm with ChAiNz, mim and Phreak on this. As long as SP isn't compromised I don't care what they do with the multi-player option. I also plan to buy it on disc as well (gift cards ftw. ;) ). As to Prime's question, speaking for myself....I'm not obsessed with completionist, esp when a lot of the achievements feel like busy work/filler. More important that the story feel complete and that the mechanics of gameplay aren't a bitch.

We've already talked about the multiplayer aspects of the game in this thread before. Of course adding anything more to the game that's separate from the single player game isn't going to compromise the quality of the game. BioWare isn't some garage based studio with limited resources after all. Like I said earlier in this thread, they probably put some newer people on the team to create the multiplayer part of the game to let them get some more experience and not interfere with the production of the single player portion.

Perhaps Bioware learned a thing or two about co-op from working on The Old Republic?
I doubt there is any cross-over. Completely different genre, completely different gameplay and backend mechanics, completely different engine, completely different studio (ME3 is the "real" Bioware at Edmonton, TOR is the purpose-built Austin MMO studio).

I can almost hear the italicisation of "possible". To use their own turn of phrase, I gather it won't be optimal.

I don't see how he could phrase it any better. It is pretty clear to me that you don't have to do co-op to complete the game. Hell you have to create a completely new character just to play "Galaxy at War."

The announcement pretty much laid all my apprehension to complete rest.

The announcement pretty much laid all my apprehension to complete rest.

This was also my reaction after watching the BioWare Pulse episode. I actually find myself looking forward to it!

I still don't get it though. He said the more you do on it, the better your single player ending can be, but then also said you can achieve the best ending on your own. huh? Am i missing something? Someone please clarify.

I guess I'm not seeing the confusion. To me, it sounds something like there is some sort of threshold for the endings. For the sake of example, a point based threshold. Let's say it takes 10 points to get the best ending. You can get 10 points in single player, but, if you don't want to be thorough, you can also get points from multiplayer. Then, when you get to the end in single player, it checks your total and gives you an ending accordingly. If you happened to be thorough in both, you might end up with 15 points which still gives you the best ending.

They are just providing multiple ways for a player to enjoy the game.

Just like in ME2 you did not have to do all the loyalty missions to get the best ending and you did not have to get the DLC companions to get the best ending. Sounds like the same thing here, you don't have to do co-op mission to get the best ending. Doing the co-op may mean you can skip something else, but you don't have to do the co-op to save the day.

I was concerned with the announcement, but like mim, when I read it thoroughly, I felt there was no real worry.

I am curious as to how the implementation of co-op will allow the player to skin the same cat a different way. It just seems really hard to imagine that there are quests that can be solved through either means.

And thus, I am mildly concerned... Yet at the same time, I think that BioWare is just trying to keep up with Uncharted in the whole on-line thing. It is, I hope, just an add-on to "add value" to the game, and not an excuse to water down the single-player experience.

We shall see. I am going to buy it either way, so :giveup:

• 2 weeks later...

For those that like the Battlefield and Mass Effect franchises, or those that are just way too much of a Mass Effect fanboy; buy Battlefield 3 and get the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer demo earlier. The demo is scheduled to be released in January 2012, but those that buy Battlefield 3 will get online access earlier than that. I guess the real question is how much earlier?

I’ll pass, not interested in the co-op aspects of ME3 and not interested in Battlefield 3 either.

Archived