Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the some of the news surrounding EA’s Origin, this could be good news to many fans of the Mass Effect franchise. Mass Effect 3 has one time only online verification.

I was thankful for the 360 earlier this week while reading all the stuff about Origin both on the net and in skype. Now I just hope Lynk is correct about the other anticipated BioWare release also not requiring Origin. The one I can't play on the 360.

Edit - Seems Lynk was also correct about that other BioWare game. TOR does not require Origin either (so we are clear).

With the some of the news surrounding EA’s Origin, this could be good news to many fans of the Mass Effect franchise. Mass Effect 3 has one time only online verification.

That's good to know. Btw, I think your link is dead. I couldn't get anything when I clicked on it.

Thanks fixed in my post and your quote. one too many "http"s

this line kind of made my eyes role and got a laugh:"The whole game will, he also confirmed, come on a single disk, which is good news for the few of you who seem to have an unhinged hatred for disc-swapping." I've always hated swapping discs or needing 5-6 discs for install.

neither really bothered me. Would much rather deal with a disk than as the case must be here is deal with downloading a bunch of extra crap (co-op anyone).

I'd concur on that last part. I don't care for DLC (not so much the content itself, but that it comes in dribs&drabs/piecemeal). Kind of what I didn't like about HL2 and it's follow-ons via STEAM. Liked the game overall, but if you didn't have a fast web connection, it took a really long time to download the games. Still, I found the "unhinged hatred" jibe to be kind of funny.

Kind of surprised I didn't see this here, but heard that (portions of?) the BETA version of ME3 was accidentally(?)* released via X-Box Live earlier this week. This is a link to a YT page to check at your own peril.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjvCeKcVMR4

*depends on how conspiratorially minded you are (ie accident or further attempts to tease fans for buildup.... not for me to say)

Yeah, there was a huge mess about it involving neogaf, Microsoft sent a cease and desist order and they had to delete the 50+ page thread where they basically revealed the entire plot of the game from that beta that some Russian dudes ripped from the game files.

BioWare says that what's in the Beta isn't the final story, but yeah... I read all of the spoilers of the game plot, not gonna say anything though.

Glad I messed that then. :)

I'm only finishing up my first playthough of ME2 (on "the long walk" part of the suicide mission). One thing I hope they do better in ME3 are the dialog choices for the romances. For some reason all the dialog choices in those cases makes Shepard seem like a complete douche.

Without going into spoilers, you could say for example, did the supposedly "work-in-progress version" of the story sound any good to you? :D

I second that. I'd like to know if they did think of a good story to top mass effect off.

I was a good lil' lad and didn't go searching for spoilers. after nearly 5 (i think?) years of playing Mass Effect, i'm not having it spoiled for me now.

Glad I messed that then. :)

I'm only finishing up my first playthough of ME2 (on "the long walk" part of the suicide mission). One thing I hope they do better in ME3 are the dialog choices for the romances. For some reason all the dialog choices in those cases makes Shepard seem like a complete douche.

Well, by the time I'd found out about it (almost a week later), much of the stuff was retracted (or, like lynk, I'd know a lot more too) and what little I've seen on YT mostly expands on some of the released material (the opening stuff during the invasion of Earth and the rescue mission of the Krogan female) from the developers. Also, some demostrations of the multi-player mode. Besides, it might have been interesting to see how and where the BETA would ultimately differ from the finished product.

As to the romances, how would you have done it differently? (ie are they too cliched or something else from your POV?)

The stuff on YouTube would be the actual playable content. That's not the issue, as it's just the same stuff they have showed since E3. The problem was that the build included the entire game's TLK file, so the dialogue from every conversation in the game was able to be extracted.

I gathered as much from lynk's post about the 50+ pages of synopsis and the mention of multiple files, all of wich I didn't see (frankly hear about) till it was largely corrected/pulled. Just saying that what was available on YT was basically slightly expanded gameplay of what had been released by Bioware officially (or at least what I'd seen of it to date). Yet, even if I had seen all of the stuff.......I'd still be getting it anyway.

Okay... I'll say this, from what I read... there's gonna be a few people who are gonna rage for various reasons. The version I read had stuff in it that... even to me seemed a little stupid.

But, we'll find out for sure how much they changed when the final game comes out. Also, I also realise that just reading the raw conversations isn't really giving any proper context, so even if very little is changed, it may not seem stupid when we play it as a full game. I mean, if you break down the first 2 ME games I'm sure the script would sound just as stupid...

As to the romances, how would you have done it differently? (ie are they too cliched or something else from your POV?)
I think it is more just the line delivery. In my head my Shepard is this altruistic guy, but it seems that most of the lines are either loaded with innuendo or are outright pushy and delivered in a sleezy way. I don't really have a specific example in mind. I guess I just have the sense that if I pulled some of that stuff in my workplace I'd be fired. :)

That is largely based on the Miranda and Kelly romance though. Not sure about Jack, and the Tali one seemed a bit better to the extent that it went in my game.

I think it is more just the line delivery. In my head my Shepard is this altruistic guy, but it seems that most of the lines are either loaded with innuendo or are outright pushy and delivered in a sleezy way. I don't really have a specific example in mind. I guess I just have the sense that if I pulled some of that stuff in my workplace I'd be fired. :)

That is largely based on the Miranda and Kelly romance though. Not sure about Jack, and the Tali one seemed a bit better to the extent that it went in my game.

As with everything in life, depends on the girl. :devsmoke: But seriously, I take your meaning. I'd essentially agree w/mim that the route you go with Jack (outside of the quickie option in the engine room basement) and Tali seem less primal/base than what you arguably get with Miranda. Of course the femshep scene with Garrus was awkwardly funny as hell, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

Another clip on ME3: (links cover same material, from 2 different sources...in case one doesn't work I include both.....Also, first 100 seconds or so covered in leXX's vid link above in case you want to skip to combat discussion)

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/mass-effect-3/1213899p1.html

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/12/01/mass-effect-3-combat-detailed.aspx

Also, reference to cut ME2 material restored for ME3 in following article:http://www.gamesradar.com/mass-effect-3-shepard-will-return-citadel-nixed-me2-plotline/

Archived