Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

(Still haven't finished the game but like I said, I know what the ending is already from the leaks awhile back)... This game IS a very entertaining game story-wise and does have some really awesome moments. It's just that last bit which makes **** all sense and ruins everything that the series has built up, rendering it pointless.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about the game ending. Only about 23 hours into the game, but as far as I am concerned they could have ended the story at the end of the guarian/geth story line. That was the best ending to any game I have ever seen.

If the ME3 ending really does suck, I'll just go back and watch that again.

Still tryna find someone who actually likes the ending haha. Well anyway, even though it was bad, it still had me in total tears.The soundtrack was amazing too.

Defeating Saren and the Geth, Destroying the Collectors, and the feats in ME3, all leading up to that ending. I can't tell whether it's genius or incredibly dumb.

EDIT:

Just paid attention and remembered the relays blew up too...surely that means we just did the reapers' job and killed everyone...this is depressing

It's a shame so much of their dialogue is ME2 DLC-style ambient rather than interactive (the Virmire survivor seems particularly shafted in this regard - well Ashley at least), but better that than nothing.

Same goes with Kaidan, which made me sad. I got the romance. Then he was all "oh I'm too busy, catch you later shepard." or some other crap and then all of a sudden before the final mission he wanted to get all cozy. like that made me go "wtf?" :(

Hey, dude, I got a kiss and a photoshopped image, you should be happy. :p

Ahah.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Tali romance right? :xp:

Still, I wish he would have spoken to me more. Would have made the relationship more believable, y'know? Especially considering the in-depth relationship he had with a female Shep in ME1.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Genophage and Geth War plot resolutions.

Show spoiler
I cured the Krogan and brought peace to the Quarians and Geth. It was sad when Mordin and Legion died :(

I'm already over the ending. As far as I'm concerned, my Shepard hopped into a giant gundam mech and punched Harbinger so hard in the quads she defeated the Reapers and saved the galaxy.

I've started a new game with my renegade male shep. I'm giving the infiltrator class a try, and so far it's pretty cool. I love cloaking and sneaking up on people, and headshotting with the sniper rifle is very satisfying.

Hey, dude, I got a kiss and a photoshopped image, you should be happy. :p

You know, I'm just past picking up Tali and I am already happy with the continued romance. So far there has been nothing really physcial beyond holding hand, but the sense of love, friendship humor, hope and loyalty that the two have shown in their short time reunited have been some of the best writting I have seen in a video game romance. BioWare's usual game romances have usually been as deep as a kitchen sink, but this has been a pleasant surprise.

If Lynk wasn't bsing me about what happens if the geth/guarian storyline worked out differently, then I think BioWare has done a 1st rate job in writing a mature realationship and they also took a huge risk if ChAiNz gets the ending Lynk told me about. :xp:

Oh balls.

Show spoiler
I just totally screwed up the Quarian/Geth conflict. Sort of. And by 'screwed up' i mean sentenced a whole race, and one of my favourite characters, to death. By accident. Tali nooooo, why did I have to drink my wine when you jumped and miss the interrupt :( This kind of stuff makes me kind of regret my determination to stick with my first runthrough no matter what and not reload a save or whatever, hence the non-resolution of the Traynor/T'soni love triangle (incidentally, does anyone know if i've screwed that up permanently? if so :(). But yeah, anyway, Quarians holy ****. I actually feel legitimately bad about this.

But yeah, massively enjoying the game still, even though you guys are making me pretty nervous about the ending :p

Kay, I've finished the game. Cried a helluva lot. It's been one hell of a ride, but I'm hoping DarthParametric and such can untangle my confused mind on the ending.
Not sure how much I can untangle, but I'll give it a shot.

Show spoiler
So basically when you get to Catalyst the Friendly Space Ghost, you have 3 choices:

Destroy the Reapers and all synthetics including the Geth and EDI, plus most advanced technology.

Merge with the Crucible/Catalyst, thus gaining control of the Reapers. You can then make them stop harvesting and leave.

Turn yourself into magic space dust that somehow converts all organics and synthetics into a single new species, a combined lifeform. This is apparently the pinnacle of evolution.

Regardless of which you choose, Casper tells you that unleashing the power of the Crucible will destroy the mass relays. This raises a few questions. The first being, didn't we get told in Arrival and at the start of ME3 that destroying a relay wiped out an entire system of Batarians? That's kind of the whole plot device to get you back on Earth for the start of ME3. Surely then destroying the entire relay network should effectively do the Reaper's job for them, wiping out all advanced life in the galaxy? Leaving aside that eventuality for a moment, the loss of the relays would effectively doom a large portion the galaxy's population regardless. You'd have the gigantic multi-species fleet that came to fight the Reapers all trapped in the Sol system and unable to escape. You'd have colonies that relied on imported goods completely cut off from their supply chains, planets full of starving and injured refugees, etc., etc. Good times.

Whichever ending you choose, you get essentially the same cutscene, just with a different colour for the energy field. The last thing you see is Joker, for some reason, trying to outrun the field at what would appear to be FTL speeds. Unsuccessfully. Somehow the Normandy manages to survive and crash land on some alien planet (it's not Earth, as there are two moons in the sky). You then see Joker and some crew members stumble outside to look out over their new home, apparently some unsettled lush garden world. Depending on the end, you may see different crew members appear, including your LI and also members of your squad while you were running straight at Harbinger. So somehow and for some unknown reason, as soon as you got zapped by the giant red death ray, Joker swooped in and picked up all your crew from around the battlefield, then jumped through the Charon relay to an unknown destination. Then the Normandy crash lands on the new planet. After the credit roll, imported ME2 save and NG+ players see a brief scene set some indeterminable point into the future on the same two moon planet with a child and their grandfather, who has been relating the story of "The Shepard". It would appear thus that these are descendants of the Normandy crew. They are likely at some sort of comparable technology level to us, although pre-space flight to judge by the conversation. The grandfather is voiced by Buzz Aldrin, which you would suspect has some deeper meaning beyond someone just thinking it would be cool to get him do a voiceover.

So essentially what it all boils down to is that the end of ME3 is a complete galaxy reset button. It wipes the slate clean, thus allowing them to free reign in the future to take the IP in whatever direction they want without being constrained by the fluff of the original games.

Started playing it today. About 10 hours in so far. No major complaints as of yet. Unless that Chobot chick shows up again later, I turned her away and haven't seen her since. Ran into Al Jalani amd got a somewhat unexpected result to the interrupt. Didn't do an import Shep, though. Was already somewhat aware of the ending due to unmarked spoiler comment elswhere. Well, as long as the journey is fun/tolerable, I guess that'll be enough. Bailey's new job must agree with him, despite his grumblings, as he looks about 10 years younger. Looking forward to the differences between default storyline and import on next playthrough.

@DP--yeah, have seen the flashlight bit only once so far, but agree with you.

Also, a note on ending permutations:

Show spoiler
There are some minor variations depending on your EMS value and whether or not you destroyed the Collector base in ME2. Basically an EMS under about 2,300-2,500 will result in the Earth being destroyed/devastated during the unleashing of the Crucible. At this level you should also only be able to choose the destroy or control endings. At about 2,800 you unlock the synergy ending (which is apparently what Bioware class as the "best" ending). If you play multiplayer and boost your readiness rating above 50%, an EMS of 4,000+ will allow Shepard to live after the destroy ending. If you saved the Collector base, you can choose the control option and not destroy Earth in the process with a slightly lower EMS than if you destroyed the base (something like 2,000 vs 2,300). Shepard will always die in the synthesis ending, but apparently he is supposed to be able to live in the control ending with a high enough EMS and the appropriate Collector base choice. The info I have says if the base was destroyed, but I tried that last night with a boosted EMS from an edited save and he still died, so I suspect it has to be the base retained saves instead (which makes more sense, given the reduced EMS requirement for a successful control ending when retaining the base detailed earlier).

Edit: While we are on the subject of endings, some related cut content talk:

Show spoiler
while Lynk alluded to the endings in the script leak at the end of last year (which are basically identical to the final game), apparently there was an earlier leak from almost a year ago that seemingly intended a different end. I haven't read it myself, but it supposedly deals with dark matter and the spread thereof as the main reasoning behind the Reaper harvesting. You'll recall in ME2 there was a few mentions of dark matter, most notably in Tali's recruitment mission. I suspect this was part of the arc Karpyshyn originally came up with. At some point in ME3 development, they obviously decided to abandon it. Additionally, there is talk that the Prothean character in the From Ashes DLC was originally intended to be the Catalyst. Not sure how that would have played out exactly.

ugh the ending,..hope they fix it. They don't have to remove what they have but explain it...allow more dialogue and cut scenes to explain some of these confusions...Personally a VO of your Shepard reflecting on his journey would have helped. Right now the ending feels unfinished, forced and choppy with lots of confused holes in it.

I wish we could mod the game,..would make a new end video for it.

For those who have not finished the game,..you will understand when you finish the game. Everything before that was great and moving =)

I feel like I achieved nothing in this trilogy.

1. In Mass Effect - you disabled the Citadel as the Reaper entry point into the galaxy. Thus you delayed the invasion by 3 years.

2. In Mass Effect 2 - you stopped the collectors from helping creating a human reaper, thus preventing them from having a better understanding of humans. You also again delayed the invasion by another 6 months when you destroyed the Alpha Relay (if you played the DLC).

3. ....Later I have not finished... but I must have been told 100 or more times that “You have only delayed the inevitable." :xp: So I can't gripe if all I did was delay them since it was inevitable....;)

I might have to go in and use Sony Vegas and edit/ create a new video ending to run instead of the one present.

I remember hearing about the endings and thought,..no it can't be that bad,...oh I was wrong it was....Just the technical mechanics of it was ugh =(

This is why they need to fix the ending...

"We have circa. 30,000 people coming out saying that the endings are flawed factually and logically."

From a money stand point, let's say there are many more then 30,000 upset about the ending but some of them don't go forums they simply don't end up buying any DLC.

Now lets say content DLC like an Omega one is $10.

And say the 30,000 don't buy DLC which if the ending was good,..would have....

that's a lost of $300,000 on just one DLC...now if there are 200,000 people who are a mix of forum and non forum but upset over the ending= they won't buy DLC just because they see no point due to the ending...they are looking at a lost of.... 2 million dollars ...lets say 1 million if you use 100,000 as the pool of players who would have bought content DLC like Omega if the ending was good.

This is just on one DLC content. ...now lets say there are 3 DLC contents like Omega being built now...Your looking at a lost of 3-6 million dollars in loses.

The smart business model is to release what they can call a Director's edition patch which puts in and fixes the ending....

What Bioware has to remember people are not going to buy DLC based on protest,..they are not going to buy because emotionally they feel what is the point.

And I'm one of those who would have bought DLC and wants to but emotionally i feel with the present endings i just can't.

Archived