Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

An Insanity run sounds like a good idea actually... besides ME1 where anything above 'Veteran' is frankly tedious. Let's face it, combat in the first one sucked :p

Yes. I don't like really playing anything above Veteran on the first one. :xp: Makes the game drag on a hell of a lot longer than it actually should.

off topic: Everytime I see your name, it makes me crave salsa.... xD

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get that...I'm of the opposite opinion (again). I thought ME's combat was way too easy even on Insanity while ME2's was insane on Insanity. Don't even want to think about a couple battles in ME3 on Insanity, so until I get every other achievement....not going

to think about it.

ME1 on Insanity was super easy with a Soldier with Immunity, but any class could cakewalk it on a NG+. I remember it being pretty brutal for a level 1 Adept though. ME2 and ME3 both have the same issue, which is Bioware's idea of increased difficulty is mainly just upping the health by huge amounts and stacking on armour/shields/barriers. My first run through ME3 was on Hardcore and Banshees were a real PITA with their massive health bar plus their teleport and insta-kill melee attack. Great fun trying to run around a battlefield and constantly getting sucked into cover and dying because of the super all-in-one Awesome Button™. In all three games the higher difficulties are not really difficult, just completely tedious.

Yes. I don't like really playing anything above Veteran on the first one. :xp: Makes the game drag on a hell of a lot longer than it actually should.

off topic: Everytime I see your name, it makes me crave salsa.... xD

haha, you're welcome :p

Makes me wanna dance.

But anyway, god, Atlas Mechs are irritating as hell on Insanity. Not looking forward to my first Phantoms either.

oh gods, Phantoms are a nightmare on multiplayer, i hate to think about what they'll be like on insanity. Just started a hardcore playthrough for my second ME3 run, and it's fine so far. mind you, i have only just finished Menae. it will get harder i suspect >_>

a battle i suspect would be an absolute horror on Insanity would be the

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
battle with the brutes when activating the Maw hammers on Tuchanka. holy hell, there were like EIGHT OF THEM. it destroyed me on normal difficulty. good thing i'm an infiltrator so i could just activate my cloak and run the **** away :¬:

edit: @DP, nah i reckon the latter games higher difficulty combat is what you make of it. which is to say that all the games are tedious when playing as a solider, annoying but fun when playing as, say, a Vanguard (glass cannon anyone?), and actually really fun when playing as an infiltrator. for me anyway. Sentinels, like soliders, kind of suck. adepts and engineers i'm not really sure about tbh but i like mucking around with them on multiplayer.

a battle i suspect would be an absolute horror on Insanity
I think the award would probably go to

Show spoiler
the final London battle waiting to fire the 2nd set of missiles. You get swarmed with Banshees, Brutes, and pretty much everything else, plus have the freaking Reaper Destroyer firing at you.

I think the award would probably go to

Show spoiler
the final London battle waiting to fire the 2nd set of missiles. You get swarmed with Banshees, Brutes, and pretty much everything else, plus have the freaking Reaper Destroyer firing at you.

You know that was difficult, but my most difficult battle in the game.

Show spoiler
The Reaper on foot on Rannoch. 2nd hardest was the battle at Griissom Academy... I think I died like 15 times in game and 14 times were during those two battles. I think learning from those two taught me valuable lessons for the other battles. However I was just on the default setting, the battle I was thinking about on Insanity was the one you gave.

You know how they say they have a APP for that. Well if you have questions about the ending....

They have a APP for that. Warning Spoilers even in the article.

Not going to comment beyond that. :xp: (couldn't help myself, paid the $2.99 for it) Nevermind the app right now is only for the iPad and I'm not going to buy a iPad just for that. Hope they add the iPhone or I am going to buy a iPad for a classroom (when the new one comes out), maybe they will let me use it once before I give it to them.

Show spoiler
argh the Reaper on rannoch
. once you figure it out it's actually pretty bleedin' obvious but my god it's frustrating to reload automatically, frantically look around for a reload/somewhere to run to, then get obliterated. again. and again. :|

my most difficult battle in the game
Hey, yeah the

Show spoiler
Rannoch Reaper was super annoying on Hardcore. The first time I think just brute-forced it, dying repeatedly until I somehow managed to get through. The second time I realised you have to fake it out, leaping one direction to get it to fire at you and then leaping back the other direction at the last moment. Think I only died once that time, but not a fan of that bit.

Re: Rannoch -

Show spoiler
Run to one side of the area. As soon as the beam fires up, start doing side-rolls. After the 2nd one, the beam climbs and you should be safe to proceed with painting the target (but I typically do a third, just to be safe). As soon as the beam fires up again, start side-rolling the other way. Repeat until dead. The pattern remains through all three sets.

Rannoch was fine (after dying the "necessary" two times to see the pattern, also, because the missile painting doesn't reset if you move, you can paint it slowly if you want to be safe), the missile battery was worst for me.

Show spoiler
Being an adept with no health bonus from armor left me dancing like a maniac with one biotic firing each second (recharge gear and one gun can be great sometimes) and Tali's drain energy to keep my shields up (most useful companion power IMO) and cursing loudly every time I accidentally took cower.

I kinda miss the ME1 Adept though, with independent timers that took a long time to recharge, battles could play like puzzles. That, and unleashing all your powers at the same time made you feel rather powerful compared to most other classes.

Playing as a Sentinel for my first playthrough, this game felt outrageously easy, even playing on Insanity. If I brought Liara along, and didn't bring more than a sniper and a pistol, I could use biotic combos often enough that I almost never even used my guns until Rannoch.

Most of the few times I died were from the consolitis 1-button spacebar everything system not letting me disengage from cover properly when a grenade showed up. Other than that, I only died 6 times:

1. The maw hammer bit on Tuchanka, until I realized I could just use tech armor, and sprint to each hammer.

2. The banshee battle at the end of the monastery mission, since I hadn't figured out how banshees worked yet.

3. The rachni caves, one part where you bring down a wall, and are swarmed with husks, with next to no distance between you from the start.

4. The battle on Rannoch with a few primes in a room where the first obvious cover doesn't protect you from the ones on the sides, that I hadn't noticed initially.

5. The reaper battle on Rannoch, which gets brutal on Insanity. I actually died around 4 times on this, but it's not exactly similar to the rest of the game.

6. The final London battle, as Parametric mentioned. I died on this one a few times as well.

Other than those instances, it was pretty easy to avoid death with proper use of cover, biotic combo spam, and occasionally hanging back and letting the enemies come to you. No phantom has even touched Shepard. Atlas mechs are easy if you take out their engineers, then biotic combo spam like everything else. A lot of people have issues at the Academy, but the strategy I used made it a joke.

This is strange to me, as I'm normally not too good at vidya game shooters.

(after dying the "necessary" two times to see the pattern' date=' [/quote']Pretty sure the necessary times in my case were 8...:xp:

Show spoiler
A lot of people have issues at the Academy, but the strategy I used made it a joke.

Show spoiler
Yes, this battle was easy after I finally got it through my thick head that walking into a room finding cover and then killing everything was not going to work in ME3 like it did int ME2. Once I figure out to take the high ground where I could not be easily flanked, well the battle became a joke.

In my defense I never was in the military, but I did watch a John Wayne movie once.

Show spoiler
I just did the academy mission and the atrium battle was a joke. you guys all bigged it up and i swept the damn place :p even the turrets (an absolute bitch on multiplayer) never really bothered me. mind you, it is new game plus and only hardcore so my fresh insanity run i've got planned will no doubt be a bit rougher. as it is however, my Black Widow V sniper rifle just tears **** up. who needs squadmates anyway?

Yeah getting the Black Widow very early on is nice. Shame you have to wait so long for the real Widow. I'm not a fan of all the high rate of fire semi-automatic rifles they threw in to bulk out the numbers. If you want lots of pew pew, use an freaking assault rifle. You can even put scopes on them now, so it just seems superfluous.

This has probably been explained before but has Bioware ever made a statement about why the majority of Reapers (at least the "capital" class ones) all look like the same...erm..squid-like/crab-like species? I only ask because its pointed out over and over that each time a species is exterminated they are harvested and turned into a Reaper. Is there an in-universe explanation? Are the squid-like Reapers the first as in they were the original bio-killers and the other species-based examples were produced after? Or was it simply that Bioware did not want to have to design so many different looking Reapers to fill in the background of cinematics? If thats the case its perfectly understandable because its really just an aesthetics thing but I was just curious.

Wait, I still don't get it. They reap the dominant species sure, and they have a streamlined, time-tested exterior design, then why did the Reaper in ME2 look like a giant human? Was he supposed to have a Reaper shell above him? That doesn't sound very practical...

They said it was half built. I imagine the explanation would be that the giant Terminator thing would end up like the nervous system or something, encased in the giant squid outer shell. After all, Reaper dreadnoughts are 2km long, but the Terminator was probably only 100m or so high - plenty of room. Sure it's ridiculous, but then so is the whole concept of turning an entire species into a giant slushie and thereby creating some sort of super consciousness.

Archived