Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

Who in their right mind would buy all of that stuff, never mind pay $870 for it?

"DLC will be available when the game is released in March" had better = "DLC will be a free download for those that pay full price for the full game in March" (ala Cerberus network).

Since when did EA give something away for free, especially for brand new games? :D

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm....never heard of this Prothy before now, though not surprised. Frankly, any DLC ready to be released with the game ought to just be in the game. I know....their product, their choice....but after awhile you just risk alienating your fanbase. While it'd be ridiculous to expect free stuff, it's really cheap of them to nickle and dime you at any/every turn. Afterall, not like we're only paying $10-20 for the game.

It's included as part of the collector's edition (retail and digital), but otherwise, no, it won't be free. And if you think that's bad, you don't want to know about all the pre-order bonuses....

http://www.destructoid.com/it-will-cost-you-around-870-to-get-mass-effect-3-s-dlc-222045.phtml

I guess that's good news for me. Still seems like a rip-off for everyone else though. All content that comes out at the same time as the game should be free (excluding pre-order bonuses).

It's included as part of the collector's edition (retail and digital), but otherwise, no, it won't be free. And if you think that's bad, you don't want to know about all the pre-order bonuses....

http://www.destructoid.com/it-will-cost-you-around-870-to-get-mass-effect-3-s-dlc-222045.phtml

I don't agree with it, but at least they've toned it down a little compared to DA2, where they were even offering DLC if you bought swords from an online weapons shop.

With the DLC content (not items) like the one in ME3 on launch -

I know people see it that it should be free because people think it would be in the game but the reason it was made in the first part was because they were going to be charging for it. The money you pay for that DLC covers the development and production cost of that DLC content.

If they didn't charge for it then what you would get either-

-The content not making it into the game,or

-The content getting crammed into the game where it will feel unpolished and other sections of the game could suffer due to it

I think some people forget that making a game this size means a good deal of money and there is a budget. To get DLC content green lighted for production means that the EA or what ever company that holds the purse strings needs to see how this will bring money in.

What I'm really getting annoyed with isn't the game. It's the marketing that's really bugging me. Here's one such example.

LoL...Yeah marketing can get a little wild.

Someone got creative, I just hope they thought about what happens when it lands (hopefully on land verse water,...or in on a highway.......doh!).

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a EA rep -someone's job is to be there to determine who got there first and gets the game (I'm assuming they are xbox 360 copies). I know the games are inside some protective case so most likely you will need a key to open them, enters EA rep.

Yeah. San Francisco and Las Vegas will have their games hit land due to the wind patterns of the U.S. Berlin, and Paris will probably land on land as well, (Berlin is landlocked, and Paris isn't near a large body of water). Sidney's and New York's will most likely land in their respective oceans. London's, I'm unsure of.

It's the marketing that's really bugging me. Here's one such example.
I preferred the original version of the idea.

at least they've toned it down a little compared to DA2, where they were even offering DLC if you bought swords from an online weapons shop.
Don't speak too soon. Remember that they are making all those full scale ME guns. Don't be surprised if you see exactly the same thing occurring.

Alienating their fanbase? With everything they have done do you really think they even consider that when they make decisions?

Probably, though I'm sure it's weighted among the least of concerns as despite all the complaining, the money keeps rolling in anyway. So, maybe it'll be barely interesting to see to what extent the Origin issue impacts their PC sales numbers.

EDIT: I have a few bones to pick with this DLC. A Prothean squad member?! Let me guess: He's been in stasis on some forgotten world for the last 50,000 years, just waiting for Shepard to come and rescue him and then pledging his undying loyalty to help save the galaxy from the Reapers which destroyed his people...

How would he communicate with anyone? Shepard might understand the Prothean language, but he can't speak it. I’ll bet he’s some kind of super-smart type who can learn an entire language just be hearing a few words of it. :rolleyes: Can’t wait to see how the geniuses at Bioware/EA are going to explain this one.

Sorry to rewinds a bit here, but I have problems with these objections. The 50,000-years-in-stasis thing is a bit odd yeah, but Vigil lasted quite a while and they knew where he/she/it was, I'm guessing the Reapers had no such luck with Prothy. Slightly tricky to explain, but not a patch on most of ME3s plot points are going to be.

The translation point: not an issue. How do all the species communicate in the first place? Drell and Turians sure as sh- do not speak English. In a conversation in ME2 with Thane, Shepard mentions that her 'translator just glitched' when he calls her 'Siha'. This, to me, implies some sort of universal translation device, something that is hardly inconceivable given that it would be a top priority of any set of civilisations looking to form a galactic government. So: the Protheans are extremely intelligent, we know this. It's not a massive stretch to imagine some way (i'm no expert, but w/e) of merging the Prothean language into this thing.

That's how I see it anyway.

The translation point: not an issue. How do all the species communicate in the first place? Drell and Turians sure as sh- do not speak English. In a conversation in ME2 with Thane, Shepard mentions that her 'translator just glitched' when he calls her 'Siha'. This, to me, implies some sort of universal translation device, something that is hardly inconceivable given that it would be a top priority of any set of civilisations looking to form a galactic government. So: the Protheans are extremely intelligent, we know this. It's not a massive stretch to imagine some way (i'm no expert, but w/e) of merging the Prothean language into this thing.

That's how I see it anyway.

You forgot one thing: Prothean is a dead language. There are no known translations and no known speakers of the language (Shepard probably being the exception on account of the Cipher).

And regarding the translation device - a quote from a codex entry:

"Newly discovered or obscure races don't have machine translation available until the linguists have had time to study them."

I doubt sales figures will make any impact on their marketing decisions. If PC sales go down in comparison to ME2, they'll just blame that old standby piracy.

People will always believe what they want to believe, esp if it goes against their biz model. Part of the reason I said "barely". I suspect, though, that their PC sales probably won't be hurt too badly by the platform issue in the end.

@Sal--I basically concur. I figured some kind of universal translator as well, w/language translations having been compiled by EDI or some other form of AI. Also, given that most of those conversations are likely between Shep and Prothy and not with other crew, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Well, as I basically intended to get the CE this time around (didn't for other/s), it sounds like it won't be a problem for me. That said, if they're releasing fee-based DLC the same day the game comes out, it looks cheap......but, it is their product to do as they please, so to speak. :giveup:

@mim--

Are people ever happy. ;)
Trick question, right? :xp:

@Astor--I agree that the "unethical biz practices" accusation was over the top.

The announcement of From Ashes, a downloadable content pack for Mass Effect 3 that will be available when the game launches on March 6th, has brought about accusations that Electronic Arts and BioWare are exploiting their customers through unethical business practices.

:rofl:

Not saying I agree with Day 1 DLC, but such accusations are, to me at least, ridiculous.

It's a tired old cliché now, but no-one is making you buy it.

People moan if DLC takes too long... people moan if DLC is too fast... Are people ever happy. ;)

Controversial Day-1 Mass Effect 3 DLC Prompts Calls to Boycott

Me...I would rather it come out right away. At least then I can play it and get back to TOR ASAP.

Much like with PETA protests, my response is to point and laugh. When was the last time a boycott actually worked?

Lynk and Astor brought up a good point on Skype (they remember there was day one DLC for ME2), for those upset about the DLC on day one...Were you just as upset when ME2 had Normandy Crash Site and Zaeed - The Price of Revenge day one releases.

Like I wrote, don't care faster is better to me. If they are included with the CE, I'm happy, if not I'll moan a little and still buy them as soon as they are released.

Lynk and Astor brought up a good point on Skype (they remember there was day one DLC for ME2), for those upset about the DLC on day one...Were you just as upset when ME2 had Normandy Crash Site and Zaeed - The Price of Revenge day one releases.

The difference there is that those were free to everyone with Cerberus Network access (basically everyone who bought a new copy). Also, several later DLC's, such as Firewalker were also free.

Wait a minute. How exactly do you boycott something that isn't released?

And I generally don't really care. I already have the N7 Edition pre-ordered for my Xbox. And even if I didn't get the N7 Edition, I wouldn't care anyways.

Archived