Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

After the credits roll, ME3 dumps you back just before you launch into the final battle so you have a save for DLC, so they don't need to change the ending on that account.

Which is the same thing they did for Dragon Age II. And in both cases, it's understandable, although I'm only guessing with Mass Effect 3, since I haven't beaten it yet.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, after completing a second playthrough I can now seemingly confirm that Bioware are indeed lying about being able to get the best ending without requiring MP. Based on the various descriptions of the endings floating about, you need 5,000 EMS to get the best ending, which is absolutely impossible with a readiness of 50%. The maximum EMS you can get in that instance is about 3,500 or so, as I mentioned previously.

Also, I think I get what they mean by "best" ending now:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
They are referring to unlocking "merge with synthetics". At lower EMS levels you can apparently only choose the "destroy" or "control" endings. However, there are minor variations in each ending based on your EMS, the "best" of which requires an EMS not possible to achieve with SP alone.

So it's a case of semantics basically. They can lie, albeit with an element of truth "from a certain point of view".

Interestingly, I just came to a completely different conclusion.

I don't know which sites you've referenced, DarthParametric, but the one I looked at listed the possible endings based on "Readiness". I assumed that "Readiness" meant EMS, but having just hit 1,900 Total Military Strength (TMS) and seeing the minimum mark hit, I'm thinking that "Readiness" = TMS, not EMS.

If that's the case, then Bioware didn't lie and the "Readiness Rating 5,000" that I've been looking at as the gold standard would be a EMS of about 2,500 (which is rather easy to get in single-player).

Readiness is the percentage that determines your effective strength from your total strength. It's 50% by default for SP, thus EMS will be half of TMS.

I reached my conclusion based on the fact that

Show spoiler
I have finished the game twice, once with a "Collector base destroyed" save imported and once with a "base kept intact" save. In both instances Shepard should apparently have survived in the "best" outcome of the particular chosen endings, but in both instances he died.

This was with TMS scores of 6,500 and 7,000. Thus I concluded that the figure of 5,000 being floated around must be EMS, not TMS.

Readiness is the percentage that determines your effective strength from your total strength. It's 50% by default for SP, thus EMS will be half of TMS.
I'm very much aware of this. I was merely pointing out that the site that I looked at referenced "Readiness" and I assumed that it was referring to EMS, when it appears that it was actually referring to TMS.

I reached my conclusion based on the fact that

Show spoiler
I have finished the game twice, once with a "Collector base destroyed" save imported and once with a "base kept intact" save. In both instances Shepard should apparently have survived in the "best" outcome of the particular chosen endings, but in both instances he died.

This was with TMS scores of 6,500 and 7,000. Thus I concluded that the figure of 5,000 being floated around must be EMS, not TMS.

And that may be the case. I came to my conclusion based on the fact that the site I looked at listed possible endings starting around 1,800 and that just happens to be the TMS when the EMS bar hits "Minimum".

To your point

Show spoiler
I was presented with three options when I finished. Shepard died via the one I selected and I didn't reload to play the other two, so it may be that one or both of them result in a non-dead Shepard :)

Yeah I said in an earlier post that the strength progress bar seems to equate to an EMS of about 3,000, given the the "minimum" line drawn on it is an EMS of 1,000 (at 50% readiness). That's why when I started my second playthrough I thought maybe the values floating around for the "best" endings were actually TMS. But then I again revised that view on finishing the second playthrough, as noted above.

I could do the ultimate test to prove it one way or another by editing the save to set the TMS to some crazy high number like 20,000. But I'm not really in a hurry to run through the whole drawn-out end sequence again after having just burned through the game twice in a few days.

Can't, as you can't manually save for about the last 30-40 minutes of the game, and the auto-save just before the end gets overwritten after the credits roll. Besides, there wouldn't be much point in reloading that late. I want to see if boosting the EMS to 5,000 or more actually does make a difference making the same choice. Also, I heard a suggestion that there may be some minor differences in

Show spoiler
the survival percentage of the Hammer ground forces based on EMS. Which makes some sense, seeing as there is really no indication of what sort of success the fleet you assembled is having. I don't think this has any tangible outcome besides some dialogue, but it would be another indication of the effect of EMS if true. In my two playthroughs, at least half the Hammer forces got wiped out when landing.

Just for future reference, if you've never played MP on the xbox, you might wanna find a couple of friends to level up with, otherwise they'll probably kick you out of the game because you're only level 1. ._. happened to me.

You don't have to play multiplayer to get the best ending. I didn't play MP and still got

Show spoiler
the synthesis option
. Granted, I pretty much did every side mission I could.

Wow, what a terrible ending. No matter what option you choose, the endings are the same and there's the one stupid epilogue.

Major endgame spoiler:

Show spoiler

Seriously, the Citadel is the AI? Why didn't it help Sovereign in ME1? Why did it let the Keepers get reprogrammed?

Was that Bioware's plan the whole time, or did someone get high one evening and came up with that. :-/

I give the game, before the final mission, a 5/5. I think it's pretty sweet. As far as I'm concerned, the ending doesn't exist.

Well I hate to be that guy who injects a bit of positivity into what is otherwise a round-bollocking session, but i thought the

Show spoiler
mission to cure the Genophage on Tuchanka was one of the most intense gaming sequences I've ever had to pleasure of playing, starting in those deep catacombs, onto the bit where you're running around not knowing what the **** is going on because of all those brutes and then when the cure is actually injected and the beautiful sequence that follows. I was floored. Going back there armed with fraps for some screenshots ASAP.

Kind of annoyed with myself that I annoyed Liara by utterly failing to resist the temptation to jump into the shower with Samantha Traynor.

Also slightly annoyed that my N7 rank from the demo didn't pass along into the multiplayer, but ho-hum :¬:

Well I hate to be that guy who injects a bit of positivity into what is otherwise a round-bollocking session
It's just the ending that is the problem (well and the popamole combat, but that's not unique to this entry). The rest of the game is pretty good. Sure, there are the inevitable eye rolling moments that are part and parcel of any recent Bioware game, but there is plenty of great stuff to balance it out. As ever, some of the best moments are the crew interactions, both with you and each other, especially between the old hands Liara, Garrus and Tali. It's a shame so much of their dialogue is ME2 DLC-style ambient rather than interactive (the Virmire survivor seems particularly shafted in this regard - well Ashley at least), but better that than nothing.

One thing I liked that I think they didn't quite capitalise on was the flashlight sections. They probably trotted it out a few times too many, but once or twice it provided some nice, albeit brief, tension.

Endgame Spoilers:

Show spoiler

After reading the Bioware forums, it seems we all might have been rick rolled by Bioware... The ending may have been a hallucination or Shepard may have been indoctrinated? I still don't like the endings, but that's something to think about, I guess.

Kay, I've finished the game. Cried a helluva lot. It's been one hell of a ride, but I'm hoping DarthParametric and such can untangle my confused mind on the ending.

I went with the Synthesis option, and I must say, it definately was a forced ending, as no matter which you picked, Shep died. This disappointed me to be honest.

But anyway; What became of Joker, EDI and the rest of the Normandy crew? They crash landed then got out of the ship and looked on. I didn't understand. Was this a total step back in history (theoretically, not literally) because of what synthesis did? I mean, did they just find a new planet that they had to start totally fresh on?

What happened to Earth?

Surely, if I understood it and the races HAVE started all over again, surely, that means the Mass Effect Universe is over and cannot be continued upon?

And I am interested to know about this 'One More Story' the stargazer speaks of. I'm guessing major story DLC in ME3. Man, I miss Shepard :'(

Yes, they probably should have. Instead, he was involved in some of the writing in TOR and the Revan novel - and we all know how that turned out.

Haven't read the Revan novel, but if it is anything like TOR, I guess we all think it was great....:)

But surely, that would put the nail in the EA coffin?

Never doubt EA's willingness to churn out more material. :D

If not some DLC's, then wanna bet that there will be a ME4 or something similar? :) Perhaps set during the First Contact War and starring Jon Grissom?

No. There cannot be a Mass Effect 4. It would need a new name. There can't be a fourth ME, if it doesn't continue on Shep. Or the rest of the storyline for that matter.

EDIT: Just rewatched the ending...It kinda makes me not want to play the ME games again for some reason...it just kinda put the whole series down...

Archived